eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

intel I5 core @2.40 ghz quad core, 8gb ram, i have the pci express card slot, and so i was wondering would having 8gb ram make any difference to the setup, as i would really like an egpu to connect to my laptop, thanks guys::D any help will be greatful

Hello everyone

I use eGPU. Everything works very well with external display.

When I installed eGPU setup 1.x following message appears: "PCI BUS component not found"

Thank you for reading!

Hey all,

Managed to get a r9 290 working with a Lenovo Y510P(win7/64bit) with DIY eGPU setup 1.30 using a PE4C v2.1 utilizing the wifi card slot mPCIe@4Gbps. Scoring 9086 (10999 GPU) at 3DMARK Firestrike. Have to say I am also quite impressed with the overclock you can still get when using an eGPU adapter. Currently the setup looks like this, but I am planning on making a custom enclosure and doing some modifications on the Y510p's bottom cover in the next 2 weeks along with a few more benchmarks. Afterwards I could make an implementation guide if anyone is interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone,

I'll save you the lengthy description of my system specs and just post my dxdiag (without the eGPU installed).

DxDiag.txt

So basically, I got the setup to work, but barely. I've tried every combination of the adapter's delay switches, but I can't get the system to boot to the external display on the nvidia card any more than maybe 25% of the time. So far, I've tried the following:

• Uninstalling the integrated Intel GPU drivers - When I tried this, it wouldn't recognize the eGPU at all. It only ever booted to the laptop's display in 800x600 resolution, even when the nvidia drivers were installed. Device manager displayed an error 43 on the nvidia card.
  • Changing the boot order in the BIOS - I didn't get far with this. I apparently have a stripped-down BIOS that won't let me set the boot order.

Whenever the system managed to boot correctly to the eGPU on the external display, it was always very temperamental. The main problem was TDR crashes. The drivers usually recover two or three times before crashing to a bluescreen; the crashes being more frequent whenever my browser or the Steam client was on my display, rather than in a game. In fact, I was even able to play a game for a couple of hours before I quit to do something else, and the display drivers promptly began to crash.

I can't quite tell if this is a problem with the nvidia drivers (I've read a lot of other complaints about TDR errors on the nvidia forums, etc), if it has to do with the card not getting enough power (no external power ports on the card, and the adapter only lets 220 W through its PCI slot), or if it's a result of having to push the signal through the cable between the adapter and the pci-e slot. Maybe it's all of the above. Anyway, here's what I've tried:

• Editing the registry to increase the TDR delay time - I changed it from the default two seconds to ten seconds. Would increasing it further help?

I'm usually pretty resourceful, but at this point I need some help to push me in the right direction towards a solution. I'm not a hardware expert, but I assumed this endeavor would be pretty much straightforward. I guess I was wrong.

Any advice?

I have a proble.....i tried to install e GPU...i have HP 6930p with Intel HD and NVidia 8800 gts.....i just cant get it work....i didnt use stup 1.3 and dsdt override.....in device manager i have egpu listed and installed drivers...but i just cant get it start....

Slow pci-e won't cause a crash.

When do crashes occur? Only in games? Any particular game?

Can you describe the crash? BSOD or freeze? Artifacts on screen?

Do you have an overclock?

Are you running pci-e 2.0 or 1.1? (2.0 is possible but likely unstable with a PE4H & EC2C)

No overclocking, pcie is 1.1, problems I found with F1 2013 & 2014, CoD Ghosts...but not with PES 2015 or Kart Racing Pro. Anyway, I just found out something funny. Everything freezes, or I assume it does. If I take out the expresscard and quickly insert it again, the game crashes but the system is ok. Maybe it´s nothing but hope it can help to find what the problem is... thanks.

My old crappy lady is now running a month with this setup without crashes or starting/detecting problems, so its time to show results!

Dell Studio 1558

CPU: i7 640m (2x2.8Ghz)

Ram: 2x4gb

dGpu: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Storage: 120gb SSD

eGpu: ATI R9 290x Powercolor PCS

PSU: 600W LC - Power

Adapter: PE4C V2.1 with 2x PM100C, I also have a working EXP GDC Beast but it just can do 1x

I´m using setup 1.30 with automated script copied from http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7482-15-dell-studio-1557-hd5870%40x4gbps-mpcie1-win7-%5Bkizwan%5D.html#post102646

GPUZ says x2, so i guess its working :D

Results:

3dm06 17637 AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Dell Inc. 0874P6

3dm11 13266 AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Dell Inc. 0874P6

Firestrike 9579 AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Dell Inc. 0874P6

all run with x2

The weakest spot in my setting is now the CPU again, it cannot compete with a new high clocking quad core.

Thanks for the huge load of information provided in this forum!

My old crappy lady is now running a month with this setup without crashes or starting/detecting problems, so its time to show results!

Dell Studio 1558

CPU: i7 640m (2x2.8Ghz)

Ram: 2x4gb

dGpu: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Storage: 120gb SSD

eGpu: ATI R9 290x Powercolor PCS

PSU: 600W LC - Power

Adapter: PE4C V2.1 with 2x PM100C, I also have a working EXP GDC Beast but it just can do 1x

I´m using setup 1.30 with automated script copied from http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7482-15-dell-studio-1557-hd5870%40x4gbps-mpcie1-win7-%5Bkizwan%5D.html#post102646

GPUZ says x2, so i guess its working :D

Results:

3dm06 17637 AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Dell Inc. 0874P6

3dm11 13266 AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Dell Inc. 0874P6

Firestrike 9579 AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-640M Processor,Dell Inc. 0874P6

all run with x2

The weakest spot in my setting is now the CPU again, it cannot compete with a new high clocking quad core.

Thanks for the huge load of information provided in this forum!

Nice work! An advantage of your dual-core i7 is it's onboard dormant iGPU. That can be beneficial if using a NVidia GTS450 or newer card at x1 speed since it can enable the NVidia Optimus x1 pci-e compression. An example of how to do that is at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-%5Bniskon%5D.html#post92801 .

Hi guys, I learned doing egpu about a week and thanks to this thread for lot information egpu and other stuff, it makes me easier to learn. Secondly, thanks to Tech Inferno Fan for lot your effort FY Gav4ME4Mfv7M5PAQYAzrxiaTIvJb0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=. Btw, I plan to implement it and guys, I really need your opinion about this.

My laptop spec

Toshiba Satellite L735

6gb ram

Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium

dGPU only, Nvidia 315M (here's my dGPU detailed spec)

12483d1410432590-gpuz.jpg

since there isn't express card on it, so I'm using mpcie slot behind my keyboard (because of it, I need external keyboard).

I am planning to use EXP GDC V6 (without power brick) for adaptor and nvidia 750 ti for egpu (my TOLUD B0000000 - 2,75GB).

What about it guys? If you think that my laptop can do egpu, what is best suitable PSU for it?

Thankss..

Hello,

I got a problem with my Exp Gdc..

Got a alienware M17X R2 I5 2.53Ghz.

I have buyed the Exp gdc external dock(with mini pci) and a Nvidia Gtx970 with Atx power supply.

Whene i connect everything it works, but whene i go into a game my fps is even lower than the stock gpu..

Stock gpu = Ati mobile radeon hd 5800

now my question is would it go faster if i buyed the Setup 1.30 software ? or is it better to use a express card for it ?

Kind regards,

Helix

@Tech Inferno Fan

I saw you as expert on diy egpu.

And Its greatly after just you post a same laptop diy egpu exprerience, although there is little bit different gpu. But I have little.BIG complication.

spec

dell e6230

ram 8gb

EXP GDC V.6

Forsa GTX 560 SE 1Gb gddr5

Dell DA-2 powersupply 220W

My problem is,

my experience gaming on gta iv and watch dogs is crazy lagging when its running at internal display. Sometimes I get 60 fps. And after 5 sec, the fps drop to 10 fps. But the lagging doesnt exist at my samsung external display .

Can I use alternative troubleshooting witthout using external display ?

Thanks for you attention.

Hello everyone,

Asking for some help to decide whether I'll buy a Dell Precision M3800 (Thunderbolt 2.0), depending on what the performance/cost figures are. I do not want to buy a MacBook, so I looked around for alternatives, and the M3800 seems like a pretty good candidate to me.

So, if I understand this correctly I have the following options:

Sonnet Echo Express III-D - Use almost any GPU I want, expensive, plug and play

Sonnet Echo Express SEL - Only slim GPUs, cheaper, plug and play

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Chassis - Cheaper, heavy mods required

PE4L - Very cheap, heavy mods required

ViDock - Not so cheap, slower performance because of Express Card interface

Is this the complete picture? What I want is the simplest, plug and play solution available (or with minimal mods), without paying $1k for the III-D. Is this possible or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone,

Asking for some help to decide whether I'll buy a Dell Precision M3800 (Thunderbolt 2.0), depending on what the performance/cost figures are. I do not want to buy a MacBook, so I looked around for alternatives, and the M3800 seems like a pretty good candidate to me.

So, if I understand this correctly I have the following options:

Sonnet Echo Express III-D - Use almost any GPU I want, expensive, plug and play

Sonnet Echo Express SEL - Only slim GPUs, cheaper, plug and play

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Expansion Chassis - Cheaper, heavy mods required

PE4L - Very cheap, heavy mods required

ViDock - Not so cheap, slower performance because of Express Card interface

Is this the complete picture? What I want is the simplest, plug and play solution available (or with minimal mods), without paying $1k for the III-D. Is this possible or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance!

If want cheapest pnp TB2 eGPU enclosure with : http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8199-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx980%4016gbps-tb2-netstor-na211tb-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bgoalque.html#post111834

Otherwise please re-evaluate what "heavy modding" an AKiTio Thunder2 is. eg: bending a chassis to fit a video card, creating a barrel-to-molex adapter and using

an ATX PSU to drive it. It's suprisingly low US$189 base cost along with ease of adaptability being the reason why it's nearly had 130k hits here and a stack of implementations using it.

Eg:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7598-2012-mac-mini-gtx770%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-osx10-9-4-%5Bentzoe%5D.html#post104243

http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/8876-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx970%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-osx10-10-%5Bw4vz%5D.html

FYI: ViDock/PE4L expresscard solutions are best avoided: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-villagetronic-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html

If want cheapest pnp TB2 eGPU enclosure with : http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8199-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx980%4016gbps-tb2-netstor-na211tb-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bgoalque.html#post111834

Otherwise please re-evaluate what "heavy modding" an AKiTio Thunder2 is. eg: bending a chassis to fit a video card, creating a barrel-to-molex adapter and using

an ATX PSU to drive it. It's suprisingly low US$189 base cost along with ease of adaptability being the reason why it's nearly had 130k hits here and a stack of implementations using it.

Eg:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7598-2012-mac-mini-gtx770%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-osx10-9-4-%5Bentzoe%5D.html#post104243

http://forum.techinferno.com/provisional-guides/8876-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx970%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-osx10-10-%5Bw4vz%5D.html

FYI: ViDock/PE4L expresscard solutions are best avoided: http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-villagetronic-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html

Thank you for your advice and the warning @Tech Inferno Fan! Much appreciated. So, should I expect the same results with Windows (since you gave examples of Macs)?

Hello,

I got a problem with my Exp Gdc..

Got a alienware M17X R2 I5 2.53Ghz.

I have buyed the Exp gdc external dock(with mini pci) and a Nvidia Gtx970 with Atx power supply.

Whene i connect everything it works, but whene i go into a game my fps is even lower than the stock gpu..

Stock gpu = Ati mobile radeon hd 5800

now my question is would it go faster if i buyed the Setup 1.30 software ? or is it better to use a express card for it ?

Kind regards,

Helix

Nobody can help ? :o

Greets,

I really really need help with some info on an egpu build for my Lenovo y410p! I need to know what the best way to access a PCI port for my GPU will be.. along with some other questions. Will someone message me or reply so i can get you my email or phone number, I will be willing to do what I can in return. Thank you so much!

Dear Community,

I tried it all, instructions are rare but I did quite some forum and google search.

Nope, would not want to work with my laptop.

Guess, I don't have an iGPU and thus no chance.

I have a Sony VAIO VPCF13Z1E operating a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU.

Tried a PE4C V2.1 (PCIe x16 Adapter) with the DELL AC Adapter

=> http://www.hwtools.net/<wbr>Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

joint with a GeForce® GTX 960 Super JetStream (2048MB GDDR5)

http://www.palit.biz/palit/<wbr>vgapro.php?id=2443

Do you see any chances I oversaw? Even tried that DSDT Override as explained in this very thread

Actually I though iGPU would only make it better due to Optimus but still w/o switch of dGPU and replace with eGPU for better game

performance

Any clues or is this a lost case?

Thanks guys!

Stephan

Dear Community,

I tried it all, instructions are rare but I did quite some forum and google search.

Nope, would not want to work with my laptop.

Guess, I don't have an iGPU and thus no chance.

I have a Sony VAIO VPCF13Z1E operating a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU.

Tried a PE4C V2.1 (PCIe x16 Adapter) with the DELL AC Adapter

=> http://www.hwtools.net/<wbr>Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

joint with a GeForce® GTX 960 Super JetStream (2048MB GDDR5)

http://www.palit.biz/palit/<wbr>vgapro.php?id=2443

Do you see any chances I oversaw? Even tried that DSDT Override as explained in this very thread

Actually I though iGPU would only make it better due to Optimus but still w/o switch of dGPU and replace with eGPU for better game

performance

Any clues or is this a lost case?

Thanks guys!

Stephan

Stephan, according to Sony :VPCF13Z1E : your system has a i7-740QM CPU. Which is unfortunate. If it was a dual-core 1st gen CPU then it's possible to enable the phantom iGPU to get x1 pcie compression at Gen1 speed when using Win8.1, though with no accelerated internal LCD mode. This was done at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-%5Bniskon%5D.html#post92801

Regardless, the eGPU adapter should still be able to work albeit at poor Gen1 performance with no compression. If Setup 1.30 can't perform 32-bit PCI compaction due to TOLUD/reserve space limitations then consider the DSDT override as you link to open up PCI config space to 36/64-bit area.

Still, the effort may not justify the end result that may see performance worse than say your GT425M dGPU. To correct that I'd suggest offloading your notebook for a better eGPU candidate with a Gen2 expresscard slot from http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html . Eg: HP 4530s, 8460P/8470P, Dell E6520/E6530, etc.

Hi all,

Not sure if there is a dedicated forum for Ares-V7 adapters, but I`ll give it a shot!

Summary of my project:

I want to be able to use my X201T for CUDA, and a GTX590 is an ideal card for that, though power consumption is 365W.

Specs: Lenovo X201T/win7 32-bit/i5U520/4GB/HDD/EXP GDC Ares 7.0/GTX590/Silverstone ATX 1500W/Dell 220W adapter - bios controller version 1.15/INTA PCI IRQ in bios (8x) set to 11 (dont know what that is)

I hooked up everything like this:

- GTX590 in EXP GDC Ares 7.0 adapter

- hdmi - expresscard to laptop

- 2x8-pin on adapter to Dell 220W

- 2x8-pin + 2x6-pin from GTX590 to ATX psu

Videocard is running, fans spinning nicely, the green LED of the adapter is on.

Installed Optimus HD3000 drivers, GTX590 won`t install

Upgraded Lenovo bios from 1.17 to 1.40

In BIOS expresscard is ENABLED

Also booted with the adapter plugged in

Also plugged the adapter right before windows logo, or short after BIOS logo

Also switched the little switch and booted up

But nothing happens, no recognition in windows after scanning for new hardware.

What is missing? I am no expert in this field, but I am kinda clueless by now. Do I need windows 64-bit?

All the best,

whersmy

post-34442-14494999687944_thumb.jpg

Okay, update:

I tried an old ATI HD3500 or something, got picked up in windows right away after rebooting. I guess it`s the GTX590 that`s not playing nicely here....

Any tips on getting it to work?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.