eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

DSDT override is in effect. Please try setting your port to Gen1 (PCIe Ports->Gen1) to see if that corrects your instability.

The 'DSDT override' status line in Setup 1.30 will always say 'no', as is/was an unimplemented feature.

UPDATE: IT IS Working with your suggestion! Thank you, NANDO4.:Banane41:

I had removed the adapter and V: file. The next day when I installed the adapter I had forgot to install V: file...LOL. Anyway, I basically did this: 10-I have problems running an Nvidia eGPU with an internal NVidia dGPU (supplied by nlooije/Khenglish). And, it worked! Hooray! (NOTE:My dGPU never disappeared from Device Manager- otherwise the same). Windows Experience rating went from 7.4/7.4 to 7.9/7.9. The performance on BF4 was maybe marginally better than stock. Sigh.

UPDATE: I Plugged some headphones into the jack and it crashed. I forgot to install the other nVidia drivers for audio since I did not use the full package that I downloaded from their website.

Question: Now that it is installed and working, will it switch to GEN2? How? (My PCIe Interface is reading [email protected] x1)

Question: Should I dedicate Phsx to dGPU (it auto selects to dGPU)?

Hey guys, I've been reading alot here about using an eGPU for my laptop, but everything is not really clear to me yet as I'm a total nub in hardware modification. I would really appreciate a recap of all the steps I need to do in order to install a eGPU properly, and if it will be compatible.

My laptop stats are: HP dv5 laptop very similar to this HP Pavilion dv5-1160us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 (2.00GHz) 4GB Memory 320GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS 15.4" Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Newegg.com

Except it have the intel mobile 4 series graphic instead of the geforce. Intel Core 2 duo, 4gb ram, Vista 64 home.

I can see it has a express slot on the side, but i've been confused about this, is it best to plug the eGPU under the laptop where the wifi is, or use the express card ?

Is this card dock good ? EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

Here is the hardware i'm planning to have, but i'm still not sure if it would all be compatible. Notice I'm getting a pretty good video card, will my laptop specs support it or will it limit its power ? If it would only limit it I will probably get it anyway, in case I want to build a desktop in the future, I'll have a good graphic card at hand.

GPU: ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.ca

Power: Thermaltake TR2 600W Cable Management ATX12V V2.3 24PIN Power Supply With 120MM Fan - DirectCanada

Case: Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Dual USB 3.0, come with Dual Fans, Support up to 4 Fans, 12.5" card - Newegg.ca

For the case, i'm thinking about getting this one and mod it to be able to hold the GPU in place even if there is no motherboard. Good idea ?

Also, do I need to buy an external monitor or is there a way to plug the GPU to my current laptop monitor ?

Thank you for the help guys

Recommend you upgrade your notebook to a better eGPU candidate in my sig. Your 9200M and newer NVidia card will otherwise have serious driver conflicts. Not to mention your system is not Optimus or Gen2 capable so performance would be lousy.

Hello, this is my first time posting so I will give some background on my setup. For the past 7-8 months I've been using a PE4L-EC060A (v2.1) to connect a Radeon HD 6670 to my Lenovo ThinkPad x200 via the expresscard slot, no external power supply needed. This worked perfectly as a plug-and-play eGPU on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (big thanks to Tech Inferno Fan and all of the users who have posted in this thread for guiding me towards that setup).

I recently purchased an EVGA GTX 750 Ti to use for my setup, which is detected by Windows Device Manager in Windows 8.1 and allows installation of the latest Nvidia drivers 347.52. However, WDM shows the error Code 12 for lack of resources for the GTX 750 Ti. I tried and failed to do a DSDT override, causing a BSOD loop upon boot. I used a system restore and have tried booting with only 2GB of my 4GB RAM. This allows the card to work and output to an external display, but crashes soon after launching into a game, alongside the laptop's slower performance. I am planning on wiping my hard drive and doing a clean install of W8.1, but would like to see if there's anything else I can try before doing so.

I'm trying to understand why the Code 12 error appears for the GTX 750 Ti when everything worked fine for the HD 6670. My TOLUD = 3GB, so I should have enough PCI room to play with for an eGPU. But I'm assuming that because the card I'm attempting to use is a GTX 750, it "requires over 256MB contiguous space" and thus requires the DSDT override. What is it about the GTX 750 Ti vs. the HD 6670 that makes it unusable with my current setup? Does it have anything to do with the GPUs' vram (2GB DDR5 vs. 1GB DDR3?). Or is it simply the newer technology with higher requirements? And does this mean I will have to find some way to make the DSDT override work if I want to use the newer GPU?

Per http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html , if your OS isn't auto-allocating your eGPU into the DSDT override (36-bit) PCIe config space and you are still seeing an error 12, then acquire Setup 1.30 to do it for you from DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 .

UPDATE: IT IS Working with your suggestion! Thank you, NANDO4.:Banane41:

I had removed the adapter and V: file. The next day when I installed the adapter I had forgot to install V: file...LOL. Anyway, I basically did this: 10-I have problems running an Nvidia eGPU with an internal NVidia dGPU (supplied by nlooije/Khenglish). And, it worked! Hooray! (NOTE:My dGPU never disappeared from Device Manager- otherwise the same). Windows Experience rating went from 7.4/7.4 to 7.9/7.9. The performance on BF4 was maybe marginally better than stock. Sigh.

UPDATE: I Plugged some headphones into the jack and it crashed. I forgot to install the other nVidia drivers for audio since I did not use the full package that I downloaded from their website.

Question: Now that it is installed and working, will it switch to GEN2? How? (My PCIe Interface is reading [email protected] x1)

Question: Should I dedicate Phsx to dGPU (it auto selects to dGPU)?

Stability running Gen1 but instability when running Gen2 means your PE4C 1.2 isn't Gen2 capable. Your choices then are to look at acquiring either a PE4L-PM060A 2.1 or a PE4C 2.1. The PE4L has a soldered cable so gives a higher quality signal than the PE4C 2.1. BPlus have been requested to make a soldered-cable version of PE4C 2.1 to overcome issues seen there. They are investigating that along with other options to improve signal integrity.

Good day all!

I am writing to request a little guidance as I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer from reading this massive thread.

I currently have the following:

PE4C 2.1

750 TI

Dell Powersupply

Into:

X220 i5, 4gb Ram, HD3000

Via:

PCMCIA

Now the issue I am facing is that GPU-Z is only reporting a 1.1x link. I have the latest Nvidia drivers but is Optimus working and how do I check?

Do I need to install/hack to get Optimus working and opt 1.2 or have I lucked out?

additionally Firestrike says my PC does not meet the requirements to run? Is this due to my processor?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Stewart

Stability running Gen1 but instability when running Gen2 means your PE4C 1.2 isn't Gen2 capable. Your choices then are to look at acquiring either a PE4L-PM060A 2.1 or a PE4C 2.1. The PE4L has a soldered cable so gives a higher quality signal than the PE4C 2.1. BPlus have been requested to make a soldered-cable version of PE4C 2.1 to overcome issues seen there. They are investigating that along with other options to improve signal integrity.

Thanks again NANDO4 for the quick reply.

The cable of the PE4C v1.2 seems very delicate and is very thin (like the SSD hard drive cable) and works for my application because I do not want to cut my computer to make another adapter fit (not that I know I would have to, just going off pictures of other adapters). The adapter comes with 10cm, 30cm, & 60cm cables; I started with the longest. The very first try with my setup it seemed to work but Win7 was very slow and nVidia Inspector appeared to be switching back and forth. (at this point startup.bat only had mbr, and 36bit compaction applied in the DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 program).

PROBLEM: The process of removing and reinstalling the cable (cable now has some creases but not bad), the cable length too long, or a bad connection by me to start with could be cause of not achieving stable GEN2. I used NANDO4's suggestion to force GEN1 and I confirmed that my computer is capable of running an eGPU. I wanted a GEN 2 connection and the adapter is rated for GEN2. NANDO4's comment above made me think about the “quality” of MY connections.

FIX: I switched out the 60cm cable (damaged maybe) with the shorter 30cm (non-manhandled) one and made sure the connections are correct. I booted into DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 and 'Reset' the startup.bat (to remove the 'force GEN1' applied earlier), set mbr, ran 36bit compaction, and DID NOT specify a GEN configuration. It is now running at PCIe Interface [email protected] and automatically switching to [email protected] as system idles.

RESULT: Battlefield is now running on HIGH settings in 1920x1080p 60Hz and averaging 60's fps (dips to 50 and spikes to 70). I was previously getting 50's fps (pretty stable) on LOW w/ 80% resolution only with dGPU, so a nice improvement over stock.

NOTE: It will BlackSOD when I plug in a USB?

Are there any other tweaks to make before I apply BOOTICE (Have I achieved the most potential)?

Thanks again to: NANDO4 and TheDeathEffect

Hello!

I finally put my EGPU in a case and I wonder if there's anything I can put in the middle between the SWEX and the power button so it is persitent. Right now when I push the power button it turns on but as soon as I release it the system turns off again.

Thanks

So I have confirmed that it is indeed running at 2.5 Gb/s in HWINFO.

Do I need setup 1.3 or is there a quicker/less complex option for me to get it running at full speed?

Thanks

I've read a few posts about it being 1.1 at idle but 1.2 under load. Try running a benchmark/playing a game and keep an eye on a monitoring program to see if that changes. Another thing you can check is going into your BIOS to see if maybe it is set to gen 1 speeds. I'm not too familiar with the features of Setup 1.x so can't really say if you'd need it.

As for Optimus, see http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-44.html#post34147

Another method is to run 3dmark6 on your internal display and getting a score of 10k+

I've read a few posts about it being 1.1 at idle but 1.2 under load. Try running a benchmark/playing a game and keep an eye on a monitoring program to see if that changes. Another thing you can check is going into your BIOS to see if maybe it is set to gen 1 speeds. I'm not too familiar with the features of Setup 1.x so can't really say if you'd need it.

As for Optimus, see http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-44.html#post34147

Another method is to run 3dmark6 on your internal display and getting a score of 10k+

Yep sweet. You are right it his 1.2 once it is under load.

My results:

Firestrike: 3700

Cloud Gate: 8600

3d Mark 06: 15800

I take it that is ok right?

Per http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html , if your OS isn't auto-allocating your eGPU into the DSDT override (36-bit) PCIe config space and you are still seeing an error 12, then acquire Setup 1.30 to do it for you from DIY eGPU Setup 1.30.

Thanks for replying, I am going to try the DSDT override again. I have a basic idea of why an override is needed, but I was hoping someone could help me understand why my particular eGPU setup was working with the HD 6670 (no override necessary) and won't work with the GTX 750 Ti.

EDIT: Never mind, I found out why I've been getting Code 12 errors. According to Tech Inferno Fan, the GTX 750 requires 256MB+32MB of PCI space as opposed to the typical 128MB+32MB+16MB in other Nvidia cards. Even though my TOLUD = 3GB, that evidently isn't enough space to accommodate the 750. Wish I had known about that before purchasing a new card. I have no coding experience and haven't found anyone else with a Lenovo ThinkPad X200 who has done a DSDT override, so it looks like I'll be flying blind with this.

Hi guys , I recently ordered a EXP GDC BEAST Version 8.3A , however i have problems with the laptop not detecting the GPU , i have modded bios , acer aspire 4830 , so im sure its not whitelisted . I think it could be the hardware. As the power supply cable started heating up and burning smell aswell.

The fan of the GPU and PSU spins and i get the 12v red led light up , but no blue led light up.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

ok

- - - Updated - - -

thanks

Partial success! I fixed the errors in my DSDT.dsl, performed the override, and allocated enough memory to run the GTX 750 Ti with 4GB RAM in my X200 on Windows 8.1. The only issue now is that when I try to launch a game, my computer crashes after all the intro movies and the GPU starts to kick in. It's fine for watching YouTube videos and videos on local storage, but anything intensive and I get a crash. My theory is the power supply; I'm currently using a 12V - 2A AC adapter for the PE4L, which was fine for the HD 6670 but may not be enough for the 750. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

In case anyone else has trouble with the override, the errors in my DSDT.dsl were all "Invalid object type for reserved name ^ (_PLD: found Buffer, P ackage required)". I was able to fix them by finding these lines

Name (_PLD, ToPLD(
                            PLD_Revision       = 0x1,
                            PLD_IgnoreColor    = 0x1,
                            PLD_Red            = 0x0,
                            PLD_VerticalOffset = 0x0,
                            PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)
)  // _PLD: Physical Location of Device

and changing them to this

Name (_PLD, Package() { ToPLD (
                            PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)}

Partial success! I fixed the errors in my DSDT.dsl, performed the override, and allocated enough memory to run the GTX 750 Ti with 4GB RAM in my X200 on Windows 8.1. The only issue now is that when I try to launch a game, my computer crashes after all the intro movies and the GPU starts to kick in. It's fine for watching YouTube videos and videos on local storage, but anything intensive and I get a crash. My theory is the power supply; I'm currently using a 12V - 2A AC adapter for the PE4L, which was fine for the HD 6670 but may not be enough for the 750. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

In case anyone else has trouble with the override, the errors in my DSDT.dsl were all "Invalid object type for reserved name ^ (_PLD: found Buffer, P ackage required)". I was able to fix them by finding these lines

Name (_PLD, ToPLD(
                            PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)

and changing them to this

Name (_PLD, Package() { ToPLD (
                            PLD_HorizontalOffset = 0x0)}

Very likely your power supply. See: GeForce GTX 750 Ti Power Consumption - Tom's Hardware The GTX 750 TI has a max wattage of 68 Watts. Your dinky power supply is only capable of 24 W (12V x 2A).

DC 12V 12A 10A 8A 55A 2A 1A 0 5A 5 5mm 2 5mm 2 1mm Power Supply Adapter Lots | eBay

You could also test it out with an ATX PSU using [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-Molex-4-pin-Male-Sata-15-pin-Female-Floppy-Power-Adapter-Cable-lot-wholesale-/400637286444?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5d47d7d82c[/url] if it wasn't included in the PE4L packaging.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll report back once I acquire a suitable power supply. One more potentially dumb question: When I wipe my hard drive and do a clean install of Windows, does anyone know if I can re-use the dsdt.aml file I made without any problems? Or will I have to go through the entire DSDT override process again from the beginning?

Hi, I have a x230t and a r7 260x but it's seem like internal display haven't work yet.

Did anyone who know to reverse engineer the alienware graphic amplifier driver? It would be great to have enduro enabled.

I'm trying to do this myself. My setup currently includes this LCD controller board for ~30 USD shipped, and an iPad retina screen for ~30 USD shipped. It's USB-powered and fits into an iPad case (not that well- still rigging up a better DiY solution) . The power it needs is a little high, so you might need to turn down the brightness or it flickers. The only connection option is also DisplayPort, so that may limit your GFX options. The resolution is nice, but the screen may be small for your tastes. I'm not sure about the response time, so it may or may not be great for FPS games and others that rely on fast reactions.

If you're not so interested in a DiY setup, you can go with something by GeChic (HDMI/VGA/mDP- typically with high response times) or Gaems m155 (HDMI- no response times published on this, interestingly).

Looks like this one has a response time of 30ms based on the spec sheet. The LG LP097QX1-SPA1/2/V or Samsung LTL097QL01-W01 have a better response time at 16ms (possible 8ms) but run for more.

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/5230-%5Bguide%5D-13-fujitsu-t901-gtx660ti%404gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7-8-a.html#post73042

I also have the Fujitsu T901, and I'm considering an eGPU setup for a 4k tv. I'm wondering what framerate I can get out of it, I would be very happy with 30 FPS, as I'm just looking to use the 4k resolution for programming and productivity.

Hi, I have a x230t and a r7 260x but it's seem like internal display haven't work yet.

Did anyone who know to reverse engineer the alienware graphic amplifier driver? It would be great to have enduro enabled.

Have you tried the AMD ones? Dell Alienware Graphics Amplifier Driver might not work if Dell has done stuff at there end, or the drivers might only work on a Dell Laptop tho

Hey guys, just want to make sure - is this laptop compatibility list exhaustive?

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4109-egpu-candidate-system-list.html#3rd

Or will I be able to run my PE4C-EC100C V2.1 using Express Card on my Sony Vaio VPCF120FD?

It has an i5-430m and a Geforce 310m.

You won't know until you try. Pretty much any laptop with EC/mPCI-e can have an eGPU added to it. The question is how much hacking will be involved to get it working well.

Hey everyone, I'm having a frustrating issue trying to use an external graphics card on my laptop. Here's my stuff:

-HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC-EXP Beast

-MSI GeForce GTX 960 graphics card

-650w power supply

I have my graphics card hooked up to my computer using the PCIe port. I removed the wireless module that use to be there to attach the cord. I'm currently at the point where when I turn my computer on, the graphics card's fans will spin, and then the fans will stop spinning about 30 seconds in, but the special light on the card still remains on, and my computer, which I have installed the drivers for my card to, will show the card present in device manager. The external screen also does not show a picture, and instead in device manager my graphics card's name has a yellow triangle next to it. The issue is showing a code 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.) I disabled my computer's built in graphics drivers and restarted, but the external card still wont show a picture and still has the fans turn off 30 seconds in. Now I'm looking at my laptop's screen with very basic graphics.

Does anyone have an idea on where to go from here?

Hi guys, really glad I found this place. here's my deal - Gigabyte P35K laptop, i7 4700HQ, HM87 chipset, GTX 765M. But i really want that extra umph from a eGPU.

i found this thread - http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6882-series-8-flexible-usb3-pcie-sata-pcie-i-o-some-more-x2-2-0-possibility.html - and have a series-8 chipset, so i think i can change my mSATA port 5 to PCIe port 2.

But holy cow! it's complicated to do. If i were to use my WLAN mPCIe port, there might not be enough room for an adapter (my computer's MoBo is CROWDED!). So i was really hoping i could change the port configuration, but i need help.

I have been enjoying my eGPU Setup for a few days now. Thanks everyone!

I have noticed that everything runs well except my laptop does not like the static electric touch of my finger or plugging a cable into a USB slot. The driver crashes on the eGPU and sometimes recovers (Also Intel Turbo Boots program crashes); the laptop display stays on if running both GPU's.

I am going to try to shield the cable with aluminum foil.

Any suggestions?

Is there a better cable for the PE4C V1.2?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.