eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Tech Inferno Fan

I'm pretty impatient to get my setup working so I'll submit my questions anew. My setup consists of dell e6420 with NVS4200m and GTX460 egpu via PE4L 2.1b. I'm having followin issues:

- Only way to get egpu recognized is to completely power off my laptop, attach and power up egpu and the boot.

- Resuming from sleep when eGPU is attached but unrecognized makes system crash and reboot.

- HWinfo program is reporting only x1 speed though my system should most likely to be x2 capable.

- No optimus: There's no preferred graphics processor option in nVIdia control panel; in fact that control panel is missing most of its tabs when on internal screen egpu attached and recognized. Vice versa, when egpu is attached and image is on external monitor I can't access Intel graphics settings.

So basically I would like to acquire 1.2xOpt speeds and find a neater way to get egpu recognized. How do I get there?

I moved switch two on PE4L board in the middle position and monitored HWinfo program during gameplay and noticed that the link speed changes to 5Gb/s under load; x1 problem thus is solved or didn't exists. I'll go for setup 1.30 when I feel I need that extra push with Optimus.

However, I did some troubleshooting with that sleep issue, here's what I found:

-When PERST delay slider is in 6,9 sec, I'm able to hotplug my eGPU. However, there's no way to recover from standby; system always crashes and reboots. Only if i safely remove hardware before sleeping I'm able to continue without rebooting after sleep.

- When delay is set to either 0 or 0,5 sec hotplugging is impossible. Recovering from sleep works if eGPU was functioning before I put my computer on standby. However, if I try to hotplug eGPU whed PERST delay is either 0 or 0,5 and then sleep the laptop, recovering from sleep doesn't success. Its enough to have EC2C only briefly connected to my computer undetected to have these crashes.

PE4L shows red light whenever it's connected to PC when on standby, no matter of PERST delay.

Is there way to get the best of these two: ability to hotplug the adapter and being able to recover from sleep without crash or reattaching eGPU?

Just wondering if there is anyone who got a ThinkPad W540 working?

My W520 started acting crazy today that I finally made the move to the W540.

I already noticed the W540 BIOS removed the discrete/integrated graphics toggle and Optimus Detection.

So the only thing I could do is to disable the Quadro inside Windows 7 control panel.

I had a perfectly working GTX 980 inside a ViDock with the W520.

Now trying to get it to work with W540 is a whole different experience.

I first tried to connect the ViDock via a Sonnet Echo ExpressCard to Thunderbolt Adaptor to the W540,

that made the fans on the GTX 980 blow at full speed (usually means something is wrong)

Installed GeForce drivers, restarted but still not working.

Tried the ExpressCard slot, the fan problem stopped, but still no go at getting external screen working.

Just wondering if there is anyone who got a ThinkPad W540 working?

My W520 started acting crazy today that I finally made the move to the W540.

I already noticed the W540 BIOS removed the discrete/integrated graphics toggle and Optimus Detection.

So the only thing I could do is to disable the Quadro inside Windows 7 control panel.

See http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7388-%5Bguide%5D-15-lenovo-w540-r9_290x-gtx780ti%4010gbps-4gbps-sonnet-ee-se2-pe4l-2-1b.html#post101232 . Lenovo W541 recommended over W540 since it has a 16Gbps-TB2 port whereas W540 has a 10Gbps-TB1 port. Both can be used with a cost effective http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html#post98210 enclosure.

If you need help with setting up your ViDock, pls contact your vendor support at http://www.facebook.com/VillageViDock .

Hello,

First of all thanks for this thread, gave me a lot of useful information.

I've readed a lot (please trust me) but I'm still not sure. I've ordered the EXP GDC Beast external slot.

Now I've got some questions for you guys. - I have this eGpu - Album on Imgur Lenovo Z580 - it's an i7 3612QM Ivy Bridge with HM76 chipset and mPcie 2.0 (5.0gb/s, I'm not 100% sure at this and that is why I also included the imgur album link).

So first of all I've readed about Optimus (x1.Opt or some) driver, I've found some in old thread on "notebookreview" and there was a "make-one-yourself" guide but the link is broken. So I wanted to know how to make one myself because the "inf"s are only for old GPU's and drivers.

Secondly I want to buy a GTX960 probably and if I will get somewhere some more money I wanted to get GTX970. Will it be worth with my laptop with the bottleneck of my slot?

And last of all - I have switchable graphics in my Bios (Internal only, Optimus mode) and unlocked bios (no whitelist check). Will I need your eGpu setup to make this all work? Probably yes because I will need to switch the pcie mode if I'm right - and there's another question: I didn't found my chipset in pre-purchase faq theres only HM6x with N/A (locked in bios)

Thanks in big advance.

Hello,

I have a couple of questions concerning the HP 2570p and the eGPU GDC Beast adapter. (Tech Inferno Fan, I am looking at you)

Is the 2570p still considered the best "bang for your buck" 12-inch laptop? I really want a portable 12-inch laptop with an expresscard slot. The other option would be the Lenovo X220 but the fact that you can't upgrade your CPU is holding me back from buying it and I also don't like the textured feel of the touchpad.

Also a rather silly question about the 2570p and the expresscard slot; isn't the expresscard cable from the eGPU adapter bothering you while gaming because its on the right side of the laptop? I'm sure it's fine if you're left handed, but unfortunately I am not.

Thank you.

Help me please

i have laptip MSI GX660R with HD5870.

I have NVIDIA GTX 760

I am use Expresscard

I need help configure startup 1.3...

Menu config:

PCI port

option 4

select NVIDIA

pci compact

option3

56gb

option 1

dgpu egpu

none

startup

testrun

chainloader

mbr ok

testrun

i go to windows... but no detected VGA NVIDIA is simbol alert.... no detect configure startup 1.3

help me please!!! :distress::distress:

I need help

Config setup pci...

I have laptop msi gx660r with hd5870m

I conect nvidia gtx 760

Windows no detect gtx 760, simbo alert

De setup detect dGpu and eGPU

I have expresscard

Do you help me in config setup 1.3

But my laptop msi gx660r?

Please

I got my Asus G74SX to recognize an Asus Strix GTX960 via PE4C-EC3C V1.2 and installed latest drivers from nVidia. I did getting "Code 12"!

No video to external monitor over HDMI..... Do I need to be using DVI?

I ordered and installed eGPU Setup 1.30 successfully.

Chainloading fails.

Now what?

Also, the eGPU keeps disappearing from device manager and then not detected by eGPU Setup 1.30.

for comp specs see comment #4461: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-447.html

I got my Asus G74SX to recognize an Asus Strix GTX960 via PE4C-EC3C V1.2 and installed latest drivers from nVidia. I did getting "Code 12"!

No video to external monitor over HDMI..... Do I need to be using DVI?

I ordered and installed eGPU Setup 1.30 successfully.

Chainloading fails.

Now what?

Also, the eGPU keeps disappearing from device manager and then not detected by eGPU Setup 1.30.

for comp specs see comment #4461: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-447.html

Error 12 is caused by there not being enough memory addressing for the eGPU (or something like that).

Try a DSDT override http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517 and post back with how that works.

If chainloading fails, try changing the from mbr2 (the default) to mbr. If that also doesn't work, just keep playing around with it until it does.

Error 12 is caused by there not being enough memory addressing for the eGPU (or something like that).

Try a DSDT override http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html#post102517 and post back with how that works.

If chainloading fails, try changing the from mbr2 (the default) to mbr. If that also doesn't work, just keep playing around with it until it does.

Thanks for the reply.

New Problem now is Code 43.

I can get both dGPU and eGPU working with updated drivers, can get both laptop and monitor running on separate GPU's simultaneously, but the system runs very slow. What is wrong?

post-32893-14494999451813_thumb.png

Thanks for the reply.

New Problem now is Code 43.

I can get both dGPU and eGPU working with updated drivers, can get both laptop and monitor running on separate GPU's simultaneously, but the system runs very slow. What is wrong?

For error 43, see this thread http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html

If your laptop is running slowly, one known cause is running 16GB of RAM. If not, just keep playing around with random settings and setups, you might hit gold eventually.

Hello everybody! I am having some trouble with my egpu. I am using a akitio thunder2, a 600 watt atx psu, a pcie riser with molex, a gtx 970 reference card, a thunderbolt cable, and a asus g750jz-ds71 laptop. I have no error codes and the egpu is detected with drivers installed. However I am not able to connect the gtx 970 to my monitor with a display port cable. When I try to switch the monitor from my on board display using the built in windows software it only gives me the option of switching to the external display using vga. This is wierd because I already have a displayport cable attached to the 970 and the monitor. Is there a way to make my laptop use the 970s displayport for my external display? And why does it say the external display is available through vga and not displayport? Any help would be greatly aperciated.

-ROG

Hello everybody! I am having some trouble with my egpu. I am using a akitio thunder2, a 600 watt atx psu, a pcie riser with molex, a gtx 970 reference card, a thunderbolt cable, and a asus g750jz-ds71 laptop. I have no error codes and the egpu is detected with drivers installed. However I am not able to connect the gtx 970 to my monitor with a display port cable. When I try to switch the monitor from my on board display using the built in windows software it only gives me the option of switching to the external display using vga. This is wierd because I already have a displayport cable attached to the 970 and the monitor. Is there a way to make my laptop use the 970s displayport for my external display? And why does it say the external display is available through vga and not displayport? Any help would be greatly aperciated.

-ROG

This sounds like a driver conflict between the GTX970 and GTX880M.

Proceed to uninstall any NVidia drivers and use DDU to completely remove all NVidia driver references. Then disable the GTX880M via your BIOS or using Setup 1.30 software, You should then bootup with only the Intel HD iGPU and the eGPU as active display adapters.

Then install the latest NVidia desktop driver. Doing this will also make the eGPU have Optimus accelerated internal LCD functionality.

Hi new to this site and eGPU. Read for three days strait. my learning curve seems to be still quite high. I have a Acer 8951g with a i7-2630qm sandy bridge with 16GB. there is a spare ePCI slot free (for gps module). Can i use this port. also confused about tolus values and using setup program.

Will this work on acer 8951g spare ePCI port.

Will i need setup program. i have nvidia optimo.

Can the setup go from internal gpu on the road and external at home with min setup each time.

What is the best system and card i can use. (internal gt555m)

Is it worth it. Will the external card have alot more gain running with restiction compared to my gt555m

Thanks

Hello! I'm new to this forum but have spent the past few days doing some research on an eGPU solution since it's new technology to me.

I've read through many posts/threads and I think have a pretty good understanding, however, I would like some clarification on a few questions before I go ahead and purchase anything:

1) I have a new Lenovo Y50-70 laptop, it has an mPCIe slot which I'll use to connect the PE4C 2.1 device. It seems the PE4C is the preferred solution over the EXP GDC Beast? My understanding is that the PE4C has less issues running on the gen2 channel? A side question; is there any eGPU solution utilizing gen 3 bandwidth?

2) My preference is to just use the laptop monitor and not use an external monitor. The Lenovo Y50 has an integrated Nvidia 860m and an Intel G4500 (I think, can't remember off the top of my head). I realize that by utilizing Nvidia Optimus, I can continue to use the internal display but at a significant performance hit? What's the reasoning behind this and is there any way to improve the performance? Is it possible to loop the eVGA physically back into the laptop LCD via some sort of adapter? I imagine this would be a painful/not realistic solution.

3) In terms of performance/stability, do most find a proper ATX power supply vs the Dell DA-2 works better? Are there less signal losses/crashes etc?

Any insight into these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I was just looking round and saw these AMD drivers, Dell Alienware Graphics Amplifier Driver , which are design for the Alienware Graphics Amplifier and was wondering if any one here had tried them with there own build? Give they are designed for egpu system I though is it possible for better performance and maybe internal screen support?

Sorry if they have already been discussed and I missed it

I realize that by utilizing Nvidia Optimus, I can continue to use the internal display but at a significant performance hit? What's the reasoning behind this and is there any way to improve the performance? Is it possible to loop the eVGA physically back into the laptop LCD via some sort of adapter? I imagine this would be a painful/not realistic solution.

The reason for the performance hit is simple. Take the display on a y50 4k, for example. With a 4k display 3840 x 2160, it boasts an impressive 8,294,400 pixels. With each pixel being represented by a 24-bit color, we're looking at 199,065,600 bits of data just for a single frame. Of course, modern gamers demand 60 frames/sec. This means an internal display requires 11,943,936,000 bits/sec ~ 11Gbps. The mPCI-e v2 interface has a max of 5Gbps. This means we have negative 6Gbps to use for the data that needs to be processed, since the video feed alone is eating up the rest.

It is possible to do what you're describing a la https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1310M/ . http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7969-pre-purchase-faq.html#post109073 #4 for some more info. It essentially involves getting an LCD controller board and a logic board to switch from internal vid feed to external.

The reason for the performance hit is simple. Take the display on a y50 4k, for example. With a 4k display 3840 x 2160, it boasts an impressive 8,294,400 pixels. With each pixel being represented by a 24-bit color, we're looking at 199,065,600 bits of data just for a single frame. Of course, modern gamers demand 60 frames/sec. This means an internal display requires 11,943,936,000 bits/sec ~ 11Gbps. The mPCI-e v2 interface has a max of 5Gbps. This means we have negative 6Gbps to use for the data that needs to be processed, since the video feed alone is eating up the rest.

It is possible to do what you're describing a la https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTHW1310M/ . http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7969-pre-purchase-faq.html#post109073 #4 for some more info. It essentially involves getting an LCD controller board and a logic board to switch from internal vid feed to external.

Thanks for answering my question, you provided plenty of detail and it's appreciated!

I suppose I'll fashion up some kind of external display solution. I really wanted to avoid that but perhaps I can come up a small footprint external monitor... I want to stay somewhat mobile while connected with my eGPU so adding an external monitor to the equation makes it more of a desktop...

I moved switch two on PE4L board in the middle position and monitored HWinfo program during gameplay and noticed that the link speed changes to 5Gb/s under load; x1 problem thus is solved or didn't exists. I'll go for setup 1.30 when I feel I need that extra push with Optimus.

However, I did some troubleshooting with that sleep issue, here's what I found:

-When PERST delay slider is in 6,9 sec, I'm able to hotplug my eGPU. However, there's no way to recover from standby; system always crashes and reboots. Only if i safely remove hardware before sleeping I'm able to continue without rebooting after sleep.

- When delay is set to either 0 or 0,5 sec hotplugging is impossible. Recovering from sleep works if eGPU was functioning before I put my computer on standby. However, if I try to hotplug eGPU whed PERST delay is either 0 or 0,5 and then sleep the laptop, recovering from sleep doesn't success. Its enough to have EC2C only briefly connected to my computer undetected to have these crashes.

PE4L shows red light whenever it's connected to PC when on standby, no matter of PERST delay.

Is there way to get the best of these two: ability to hotplug the adapter and being able to recover from sleep without crash or reattaching eGPU?

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Furthermore, I found someone selling his egpu setup software locally. Is it acceptable to buy a second-hand software in this case?

Once configured, does egpu setup 1.30 load every time I boot into Windows? I'd be using my egpu only occasionally so that'd be a nuisance even though setup 1.30 seems pretty fast to load.

I found this egpu implementation with some benchmarks. Except 3dmark6, Optimus compression doesn't seem to have too big effect on the results. How about real life performance?

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660%40x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7.html#post37197

Problem Description:

1- What is the Problem?

a. Can not get a stable eGPU running.

b. Having real hard time getting both nVidia dGP and nvidia eGPU running at the same time.

c. Struggling to understand eGPU Setup 1.30, especially startup.bat and entries required.

2- Have you consulted the Troubleshooting and FAQ? Yes I have, for days now.

3- Have you consulted the Pre-Purchase FAQ? Yes.

Platform Description

1- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2- SYSTEM: Asus G74SX-TH71, Intel 2670m, nVidia GTX560m, dual SSD (not stock HD/not RAID)

3- RAM: 12GB system; 3GB GTX560m

4- eGPU: ASUS Strix GTX960 2GB RAM (Box says minimum requirements: 400W/38A).

5- PSU: Allied AL-A400ATX (+12V1/14A/168W; +12V2/13A/156W)_(Using a single lead w/ two 4pin connectors and an adapter to 6Pin). (NOTE: PSU: I replaced the Allied with a Corsair CX750M (+12 62A)..... tried and no different.)

Is the Allied PSU sufficient?

6- nVidia Drivers: 347.52 Desktop & 347.52 Notebook

7- PE4C-PM3E v1.2 via mPCIe. Jumpers set to NO DELAY and AUTO.

NOTE:(mPCIe is in an awkward location and has a delicate cable- apprehensive to “hot-plug”).

8- DIY eGPU Setup 1.30.

NOTE: Completed DSDT allocating LARGE MEMORY [0000000C20000000 – 0000000E0FFFFFFF] PCI Bus.

Is Override successful in DIY eGPU Setup 1.30?

NOTE: I tried this STEP 10- I have problems running an Nvidia eGPU with an internal NVidia dGPU (supplied by nlooije/Khenglish)

NOTE: I tried this from angerthosenear: Post #8

NOTE: I tried this from angerthosenear: Guide: DSDT Override, Simultaneous iGPU+dGPU+eGPU

NOTE: What I do basically after removing all drivers and using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller):

1-I force the computer to boot into DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 and then choose “menu-based”.

2-I do a PCI compaction changing the endpoint to 56.25-36bit and ignore the dGPU then run compaction and choose eGPU only and Force none to 32bit (automatically results in adding three call lines- call vidwait 60, call vidinit -d %eGPU%, and call PCI). NOTE: Choosing dGPU to OFF results in immediate black screen with a couple lines of code at top then stops).

3-I have also tried enabling GEN 2 port (F3 results in adding: “iport gen2 2” line at the top of call lines).

(NOTE: Test Run startup.bat is successful in both scenario 2 & 3 above.)

4-Then I go to Chainloader and “Test Run” which boots into Windows 7.

5-Then I install the Nvidia Drivers for DESKTOP by double-clicking the .exe and it requires reboot.

6-Repeat Steps 1, 2 & 4 and Windows detects GTX 960 and indicates it is working properly but it is not “working” and does not show up in using nVidiaInspector or GeForce Experience. Also, the standard VGA adapter is now installed for the dGPU.

7-I then extracted the LAPTOP drivers and right-clicked on the standard VGA in Device Manager and selected the “Update Driver Software” and directed it to the folder I just used to extract the drivers and it requires a reboot.

8-Repeat Steps 1, 2 & 4 and Windows detects GTX 960 I think (the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then looks pretty on laptop display only). When I check the Device manager it indicates the GTX 560m is working properly but GTX 960 has error 43.

9-Uninstalled GTX 960, scanned for changes, right-clicked on the GTX 960 now detected and selected the “Update Driver Software” and directed it to the folder from the first install (Step 5). Device Manager says BOTH GPU's are “working properly” but only GTX 560m is detected by nVidiaInspector (does show a driver installed for a second GPU) and GeForce Experience.

10-Repeat Steps 1, 2 & 4 (Can I restart and force the computer to boot into DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 and then choose “auto start up via startup.bat”)?

11-The screen flickers a bunch and Device Manager says GTX 560m working; GTX 960 has error 10.

NOTE: Two or three times I have used used the above method and the computer has successfully installed both GPU's, one working on laptop and one working on external monitor, in all cases it was unstable. Once I got to it boot into Origin/BF4 and played on high settings but when I switched to ultra it crashed. Not sure what I did?

NOTE: The most similar build I could find on forum is user: Pizzazz; Conversation Began:10-03-2012, 12:40 AM DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0].

Did you get your eGPU working? What did you do?

NOTE: I lost my screenshot when I reset .bat file. (Noticed the DSDT override always said NO.)

NOTE: v:\diag folder here.

Thanks to TheDeathEffect for replys!

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Furthermore, I found someone selling his egpu setup software locally. Is it acceptable to buy a second-hand software in this case?

Once configured, does egpu setup 1.30 load every time I boot into Windows? I'd be using my egpu only occasionally so that'd be a nuisance even though setup 1.30 seems pretty fast to load.

I found this egpu implementation with some benchmarks. Except 3dmark6, Optimus compression doesn't seem to have too big effect on the results. How about real life performance?

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-hd7870-gtx660%40x4gbps-c-ec2-pe4l-2-1b-win7.html#post37197

I have no resellers of the software, nor is the Setup 1.30 software transferrable. Can you pls PM me who is 'selling' the software?

Details of a legitimate method to obtain the software is at DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

Yes, it is possible to boot straight into Setup 1.30 on machine startup and chainload to Windows without any user interaction. Requires a 'bootice' procedure as outlined at DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 .

Enabling Optimus provides x1 pci-e compression, accelerating mostly DX9 apps 30-300% as well as an accelerated internal LCD mode.

Problem Description:

1- What is the Problem?

a. Can not get a stable eGPU running.

b. Having real hard time getting both nVidia dGP and nvidia eGPU running at the same time.

c. Struggling to understand eGPU Setup 1.30, especially startup.bat and entries required.

2- Have you consulted the Troubleshooting and FAQ? Yes I have, for days now.

3- Have you consulted the Pre-Purchase FAQ? Yes.

Platform Description

1- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

2- SYSTEM: Asus G74SX-TH71, Intel 2670m, nVidia GTX560m, dual SSD (not stock HD/not RAID)

3- RAM: 12GB system; 3GB GTX560m

4- eGPU: ASUS Strix GTX960 2GB RAM (Box says minimum requirements: 400W/38A).

5- PSU: Allied AL-A400ATX (+12V1/14A/168W; +12V2/13A/156W)_(Using a single lead w/ two 4pin connectors and an adapter to 6Pin). (NOTE: PSU: I replaced the Allied with a Corsair CX750M (+12 62A)..... tried and no different.)

Is the Allied PSU sufficient?

6- nVidia Drivers: 347.52 Desktop & 347.52 Notebook

7- PE4C-PM3E v1.2 via mPCIe. Jumpers set to NO DELAY and AUTO.

NOTE:(mPCIe is in an awkward location and has a delicate cable- apprehensive to “hot-plug”).

8- DIY eGPU Setup 1.30.

NOTE: Completed DSDT allocating LARGE MEMORY [0000000C20000000 – 0000000E0FFFFFFF] PCI Bus.

Is Override successful in DIY eGPU Setup 1.30?

DSDT override is in effect. Please try setting your port to Gen1 (PCIe Ports->Gen1) to see if that corrects your instability.

The 'DSDT override' status line in Setup 1.30 will always say 'no', as is/was an unimplemented feature.

I suppose I'll fashion up some kind of external display solution. I really wanted to avoid that but perhaps I can come up a small footprint external monitor... I want to stay somewhat mobile while connected with my eGPU so adding an external monitor to the equation makes it more of a desktop...

I'm trying to do this myself. My setup currently includes this LCD controller board for ~30 USD shipped, and an iPad retina screen for ~30 USD shipped. It's USB-powered and fits into an iPad case (not that well- still rigging up a better DiY solution) . The power it needs is a little high, so you might need to turn down the brightness or it flickers. The only connection option is also DisplayPort, so that may limit your GFX options. The resolution is nice, but the screen may be small for your tastes. I'm not sure about the response time, so it may or may not be great for FPS games and others that rely on fast reactions.

If you're not so interested in a DiY setup, you can go with something by GeChic (HDMI/VGA/mDP- typically with high response times) or Gaems m155 (HDMI- no response times published on this, interestingly).

I have no resellers of the software, nor is the Setup 1.30 software transferrable. Can you pls PM me who is 'selling' the software?

Details of a legitimate method to obtain the software is at DIY eGPU Setup 1.30

^^^That sucks and is worse than giving it away!"

DSDT override is in effect. Please try setting your port to Gen1 (PCIe Ports->Gen1) to see if that corrects your instability.

The 'DSDT override' status line in Setup 1.30 will always say 'no'' date=' as is/was an unimplemented feature[/quote']

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try this. Any other suggestions before I hook up and try again?

Hey guys, I've been reading alot here about using an eGPU for my laptop, but everything is not really clear to me yet as I'm a total nub in hardware modification. I would really appreciate a recap of all the steps I need to do in order to install a eGPU properly, and if it will be compatible.

My laptop stats are: HP dv5 laptop very similar to this HP Pavilion dv5-1160us NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 (2.00GHz) 4GB Memory 320GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS 15.4" Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Newegg.com

Except it have the intel mobile 4 series graphic instead of the geforce. Intel Core 2 duo, 4gb ram, Vista 64 home.

I can see it has a express slot on the side, but i've been confused about this, is it best to plug the eGPU under the laptop where the wifi is, or use the express card ?

Is this card dock good ? EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

Here is the hardware i'm planning to have, but i'm still not sure if it would all be compatible. Notice I'm getting a pretty good video card, will my laptop specs support it or will it limit its power ? If it would only limit it I will probably get it anyway, in case I want to build a desktop in the future, I'll have a good graphic card at hand.

GPU: ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.ca

Power: Thermaltake TR2 600W Cable Management ATX12V V2.3 24PIN Power Supply With 120MM Fan - DirectCanada

Case: Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Dual USB 3.0, come with Dual Fans, Support up to 4 Fans, 12.5" card - Newegg.ca

For the case, i'm thinking about getting this one and mod it to be able to hold the GPU in place even if there is no motherboard. Good idea ?

Also, do I need to buy an external monitor or is there a way to plug the GPU to my current laptop monitor ?

Thank you for the help guys

Hello, this is my first time posting so I will give some background on my setup. For the past 7-8 months I've been using a PE4L-EC060A (v2.1) to connect a Radeon HD 6670 to my Lenovo ThinkPad x200 via the expresscard slot, no external power supply needed. This worked perfectly as a plug-and-play eGPU on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (big thanks to Tech Inferno Fan and all of the users who have posted in this thread for guiding me towards that setup).

I recently purchased an EVGA GTX 750 Ti to use for my setup, which is detected by Windows Device Manager in Windows 8.1 and allows installation of the latest Nvidia drivers 347.52. However, WDM shows the error Code 12 for lack of resources for the GTX 750 Ti. I tried and failed to do a DSDT override, causing a BSOD loop upon boot. I used a system restore and have tried booting with only 2GB of my 4GB RAM. This allows the card to work and output to an external display, but crashes soon after launching into a game, alongside the laptop's slower performance. I am planning on wiping my hard drive and doing a clean install of W8.1, but would like to see if there's anything else I can try before doing so.

I'm trying to understand why the Code 12 error appears for the GTX 750 Ti when everything worked fine for the HD 6670. My TOLUD = 3GB, so I should have enough PCI room to play with for an eGPU. But I'm assuming that because the card I'm attempting to use is a GTX 750, it "requires over 256MB contiguous space" and thus requires the DSDT override. What is it about the GTX 750 Ti vs. the HD 6670 that makes it unusable with my current setup? Does it have anything to do with the GPUs' vram (2GB DDR5 vs. 1GB DDR3?). Or is it simply the newer technology with higher requirements? And does this mean I will have to find some way to make the DSDT override work if I want to use the newer GPU?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.