[TUTORIAL] [4GHz+] Overclock i7 4XXXm(q/h) to i7 extreme conversion Intel Haswell CPU Microcode bug hack

tmash

Hello,

I am attempting this method on an 4710HQ. I downgraded the microcode to 06, but the repeatedly increasing max multiplier thing does not seem to be working. I can get x37 on all cores, but the max stays at 37.

Tested microcodes:

17: max 37-36-35-35

07: max 37-37-37-37

06: max 37-37-37-37

(stock cfg is 35-34-33-33 with +2 bins)

Is there any trick apart from re-opening the FIVR window after increasing the values? Is it possible that other components/BIOS are locking it somehow? Any ideas about ways to check what the issue might be?

Thank you

16 hours ago, Derlep said:

Hello,

I am attempting this method on an 4710HQ. I downgraded the microcode to 06, but the repeatedly increasing max multiplier thing does not seem to be working. I can get x37 on all cores, but the max stays at 37.

Tested microcodes:

17: max 37-36-35-35

07: max 37-37-37-37

06: max 37-37-37-37

(stock cfg is 35-34-33-33 with +2 bins)

Is there any trick apart from re-opening the FIVR window after increasing the values? Is it possible that other components/BIOS are locking it somehow? Any ideas about ways to check what the issue might be?

Thank you

First, remove the microcode, or do 00h, then open R/w everything select CPU MSR register, do and post a screenshot of it before throttlestop and after throttlestop bin increase (in your case 37x all cores).

What throttlestop version are you using?

I had similar issue locking at 38x unless I shutdown completely. Also, make sure you aren't using Windows uefi mode, standard uefi is ok as it works here, bios works aswell. Disable fast boot when shutting down.

Edited by tmash

15 hours ago, tmash said:

First, remove the microcode, or do 00h, then open R/w everything select CPU MSR register, do and post a screenshot of it before throttlestop and after throttlestop bin increase (in your case 37x all cores).

What throttlestop version are you using?

I had similar issue locking at 38x unless I shutdown completely. Also, make sure you aren't using Windows uefi mode, standard uefi is ok as it works here, bios works aswell. Disable fast boot when shutting down.

The microcode downgrade will have to wait as going to 0 is a more significant change and I'm not brave enough to flash that yet ;)

I'm using TS 8.10b2; exe md5 95ABE57810F9C0DCFC549E41D83F2F9A

I did the MSR thing but I don't know if this is correct as there are no changes before/after, not sure what I should be looking for other than the PATCH ID which stays at 6.

I'm using legacy boot and booting from cold. Also attempted sleep-resume and hibernation-resume.

msr-cleanboot.png

msr-afterts.png

5 hours ago, Derlep said:

The microcode downgrade will have to wait as going to 0 is a more significant change and I'm not brave enough to flash that yet ;)

I'm using TS 8.10b2; exe md5 95ABE57810F9C0DCFC549E41D83F2F9A

I did the MSR thing but I don't know if this is correct as there are no changes before/after, not sure what I should be looking for other than the PATCH ID which stays at 6.

I'm using legacy boot and booting from cold. Also attempted sleep-resume and hibernation-resume.

msr-cleanboot.png

msr-afterts.png

I don't remember what I did in 6, has to do with MSR199 198 and 150, I'll flash 6 tonight and check again 

1 hour ago, MiSJAH said:

Can anyone make this tutorial even more simple for a layman like me? I'm due an upgrade on my GT72 (4720HQ) soon so happy to take a punt with this. 

Cheers.

If your bios is AMI Aptio 4 or 5 ,use Ubutool: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/9SSs/YJbsWyC2V, extract, put the bios in the extract folder, run UBU.bat then change microcode to v1 or v3. I avoided this as I'm not aware of how it inserts padding. I'll update this reply soon once I have access to my laptop.

Edited by tmash

On 23/6/2016 at 7:56 AM, MiSJAH said:

E1781IMS.110

Is my bios, I'm unsure how to check if it is AMI Atio 4 or 5?

It seems to be AMI Aptio 4. The "problem" / potential problem I see is that it has 5(x2) patches for different processors. Ubutool will happily patch it and leave only the Haswell (06C3) ones. I think it is probably fine, but who knows.

3 minutes ago, Derlep said:

It seems to be AMI Aptio 4. The "problem" / potential problem I see is that it has 5(x2) patches for different processors. Ubutool will happily patch it and leave only the Haswell (06C3) ones. I think it is probably fine, but who knows.

yes its totally fine, there is no risk at all playing with microcodes, the important part is bios size and padding insertion, UBUtool does that properly (checked aswell), you can go ahead and do it with confidence.

(Note: I don't have access to my PC for the next month)

7 hours ago, tmash said:

@Derlep Try MC v1, it works fine on a y510p which had the same issue

Can confirm 1 works for me. I also tried 4, with that one after selecting 37 the max gets raised to 39, but any oc settings over 37 don't stick, so you're stuck on 37.

The problem with 1 is that is seems a bit buggy with the voltage regulation. Fixed voltage works, but is kinda useless. Dynamic seems iffy, I have to target 50~100 mV over the static setting in order for it to be stable. The settings I used for x37 with MC v7 are definitely not stable with MC v1. Frequency regulation seemed wonky too, specially at idle.

Long story short, I can get 4.1GHz on a single core. Anything more thermal throttles like crazy. Any less voltage -> reboot. My CPU does not seem very good; it can do 3.7 @ 1.08, 4.1 @ ~1.20, and then I tried 1.35 V and it ran for a few seconds at 4.5 but ended up rebooting (I suspect something strange is going on, because with newer frimwares the lack of voltage usually results on a bluescreen or lockup, not reboot.)

So yeah, maybe with better cooling. Does that liquid thermal paste really help? I go from 50 to 90º in less than a second and back again too, I don't know if that's a sign of bad thermal conductivity or not (I'd say it is). Last time I repasted I didn't notice any improvements.

Edited by Derlep
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Derlep

Liquid metal is huge for CPUs and yes a 40C jump like that is a direct sign of poor cpu-heatsink contact. With liquid metal that jump will be more like 20-25c at high clocks.

Unfortunately liquid metal is more difficult to apply, and it will permanently stick to the heatsink. Proper remounts after the liquid metal has been in place for some time require sanding the previous liquid metal off the heatsink. The die can develope a residue, but this is just a cosmetic problem.

Edited by Khenglish
  • Thumbs Up 3

@Derlep Yeah liquid metal fixed my temp jumping, though not max temp as significant. Example: IC diamond stayed consistently at 90 for 50 seconds before it started to increase which is okay I guess. Took long to rise to 90 with gallium on the other hand with -5c difference max temp at 26c room temp. Thats 96c at [email protected], and 86c at 20c room temp which is significant due to airflow (active cooling effectiveness is not linear with room temp)

v0 and v1 only gives wrong voltage reading, just square the value to get the real one. Power delivery differs between brands and laptops, e.g my p150sm/p170sm supports i7 4940mx which is 65watts, my 4700mq running at 1.20v pulls 78watts at 4.2ghz (stock 48w) which is close. I don't think your model is designed to handle the extreme or high tdp CPUs so you might be putting too much stress on mobo since it's way far from the designed tdp, would explain why Dynamic voltage mode is unstable (my speculation tho).

You can also try cooling the VRMs if they're not being cooled, you can post your laptop model.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a MSI GE60, which has terrible cooling design, specially for the CPU, with a single long heatpipe. It's the same model as this. The very next model was redesigned and uses 2 fans and shorter pipes.

I know the MB monitors power and reacts to it (if the GPU is pulling a lot of power, the CPU gets throttled, independent of temperatures or load), so it could be that if it detects too much draw it panic reboots. There are no high wattage BGA CPUs, so yeah. The VCCIN is also set (and locked) at a generous 2.05V.

1 hour ago, tmash said:

@Derlep Yeah liquid metal fixed my temp jumping, though not max temp as significant.

That's what I was afraid of. If using the CPU only on a mildly cool room, it can handle ~47W fine without throttling, so I don't know if it'd help much (it would help with 10 second benchmarks for sure though!). I will probably still give it a go.

1 hour ago, tmash said:

v0 and v1 only gives wrong voltage reading

v1 voltage reporting seemed OK to me. The problem was not reading, the problem was less stability at any given voltage. It ran hotter before changing any values too.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey I am using a P375SM clevo and I am trying this.  You say to select length 5000 but the image shows only a selected length 218 am I missing something?

Also when I try opening the file with mmtool the app will stop working and this is for either bioses.

EDIT: I got the stock bios and now mmtool works I think i got this now 4 entries show up in mmtool and 2 gone the once I wanted gone :P. Is this worth the risk? hihi

Edited by kraankop

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @tmash,

I have a G751JY with i7-4710HQ OCed +2 bins with ThrottleStop, I follow these steps but for some reasons I can't go past 37x multiplier with TS 8.2. I removed all the block of the Microcode update (mine was "1C" version, 5400 lenght).

My question is: if I want to try "00" or "06" version of Microcode (like @Derlep did), have I just to replace "1C" with "00" with HxD or I need to replace the whole block of 5400 with another block?

Thanks in advance :)

• 1 month later...

I had Svet from MSI forums try this in my MSI 16F4 GT60. No version of a BIOS he prepared worked, they resulted in a brick. The stock BIOS, completely unlocked without altered microcode, worked fine and the best I got out of the 4710MQ was the +200MHz turbo and 101.0 BCLK. But as soon as the microcode was altered the laptop wouldn't even begin to boot. He tried 4 different versions, I think v1 v4 v6 v7 microcode were in there but not sure.

I'd say to anyone thinking of giving it a go to research whether BIOS recovery is simple for their mobo. In my case there was no blind flash procedure and my recovery procedure was to on-chip flash via $10 worth of a CH341A programmer and 150mil SOP8 adapter cable from another laptop.

Edited by bennyg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,
as Haswell microcode should be universal, is it even possible with an X99 chipset board ? I mean the oldes microcode I get by UBU for x99 is version19. But I can manually select of course microcode from LGA1150 Haswells aswell. Does a x99 motherboard would accept to boot in this way ?

Anyway what happens if you got a wrong or missing microcode ? I think he won´t boot just and keep stucked at bios, true ? So if I take the wrong microcode I can just reflash, true ?

Also I prepared myself one bios in which I fully deleted microcode by MMtools (similar like yours I hope, haha). But does he will boot as like version0 microcode then ? Or just put me out an missing microcode error ?

Thanks guys !

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, n3uralhack3r said:

Hi All,

Do I still have to modify the BIOS image(Hex codes) if I will downgrade my 4700MQ's MC to Version 7 and not Version 00?

Or is it just the BIOS image + UBU tool that i need(No Hex code modification)?

Thank in advance!

And one more thing, If my second question is true, is it also possible to maybe overclock my CPU to at least 4GHz by increasing the Adaptive Voltage to just +250mV(This is based on @tmash's post last April 1)?

19 hours ago, n3uralhack3r said:

Hi All,

Do I still have to modify the BIOS image(Hex codes) if I will downgrade my 4700MQ's MC to Version 7?

Or is it just the BIOS image + UBU tool that i need(No Hex code modification)?

Thank in advance!

18 hours ago, n3uralhack3r said:

And one more thing, If my second question is true, is it also possible to maybe overclock my CPU to at least 4GHz by increasing the Adaptive Voltage to just +250mV(This is based on @tmash's post last April 1)?

BUMP

• 4 weeks later...