Upgrading my Clevo P570WM to GTX 980m SLI or the new GTX 1070/1080 or just sell it and get a new P870?

Dr. AMK

Dear Respected Members,

I want your advice please:

Upgrading my Clevo P570WM from GTX 880m SLI to GTX 980m SLI (=$2000) 

or  the new GTX 1070/1080 if applicable? I need to verify if it will support one or 2 of them in SLI??

or Get a new Clevo P870 or Eurocom Sky 9XE Unlocked with the 980m's SLI (=$3500)? and then I have to sell my old Beast :)

and if your advice is to go for the new system, what is the best choice?:

1- GTX 980m SLI

2- GTX 980 Desktop

3- Just wait for the GTX 980 Desktop SLI?

4- GTX 1070/1080 if applicable

5- Something else

Best Regards. 

Edited by Dr. AMK
update

Hello. I would recommend not upgrading the P570WM and going with the new beast for the following reasons:

• Very difficult to get good GTX 980M GPUs now for some reason. Quality control seems poor, many do not overclock well and there are too many failing.
  • Other than the hexacore i7 and octacore Xeon CPU capabilities, everything else about the Sky X9E is faster and more robust. I love my 4960X, too. 6700K overclocks easily and runs cool.
  • The 200W GTX 980 is a wicked GPU... a WHOLE LOT MORE wicked a than GTX 980M. If and when the 180W GTX 980 SLI becomes available, that will be even more wicked. You cannot use either of those in the P570WM.
  • The P570WM is obsolete, end of life, and some service parts are already no longer serviced or available. An amazing machine with no replacement parts available does nobody any good.

If you can afford to keep the P570WM and buy the new machine, I would do that. I don't really want to part with mine, but if I had to make a choice and could only keep one I would go with the newer one.

Hope that helps.

Mr. Fox, thank you for your kindness and valuable advice. I'll do exactly what you suggested.

I'll buy a new X9E ASAP, sometimes Eurocom are making up to  $500 discount, I need to follow-up with them.

Best Regards.

Thank you for the advice @chap and @Brian, I don't need a new laptop immediately, so I can wait to see what  Pascal/Polaris will bring to us. I feel that if I will wait all the time for the newest architectures I'll wait indefinitely. But I think waiting is the right thing to do, hope that Eurocom/Cleavo/Sager considering this technology quickly, or maybe Alienware 18 get alive again from the dead. My old laptop Clevo P570 is old, but still a Super Computer :super::) .

Rumor: Nvidia’s Pascal Architecture Is In Trouble With Asynchronous Compute

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-trouble-asynchronous-compute/#ixzz44QsmrcWt

Nvidia-Pascal-GTX-1080-GTX-1070-GTX-1060-GPUs-WCCFtech.jpg

xx.gif
« Reply #5 on: 18-September-15, 23:25:31 »

•  

The GTX 980M is just a slightly nerfed GTX 970. But this 990M is gonna be a 980M in SLI. We all know the 970 in SLI is like a 980 Ti (for games that support sli). Then 980m in sli is like a 980 ti.

So this 990M is just a 980 Ti for laptops. Cool. But dang, i was hoping i could upgrade to the 990M, but oh well. I'm not willing to sell my gt72 anytime soon so guess i'm stuck with it till the 1200 series, assuming nvidia stays with their current naming scheme.

I wonder though, is it possible to have 990M in sli on a GT80 titan as well? that'd be better than a titan X i bet. 980 ti in sli in a laptop basically.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=259585.0

• Founder

Keep in mind WCCFTech is very anti-NVIDIA and they always tend to slant things as pro-AMD. Asynchronous compute is not a big deal and if the market leader (NVIDIA) is the weakest link, rest assured most devs won't make async heavy games that harm NVIDIA. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's almost a catch 22... most of the the industry kisses NVIDIA's heiny and empowers them to maintain status quo. I'd love to see AMD kick 'em in the privates hard enough to cause serious injury, but I think there is a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. NVIDIA truly has a monopoly and that allows them an extraordinary amount of liberty to thrive in spite of their overall mediocrity. The general assumption is NVIDIA is always better, and to an extent it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It is not good for us that, year-over-year, they are competing mostly with their own last gen products. It's really unfortunate from every angle regardless of whether you are a red or green fanboy. I think it also has something to do with the stupid $hit we see from NVIDIA, like out of the blue a position stating they do not support overclocking on notebooks. They don't need to care because, generation upon generation, since 7970M, AMD brings nothing of value to the table for high performance notebook enthusiasts. Here's hoping something revolutionary comes to notebook performance enthusiasts from AMD in Polaris... not going to bet my paycheck on it though. 

Edited by Guest

On 3/30/2016 at 9:14 PM, chap said:

with pascal/polaris beeing relesed in about 1 month i wouldnt buy a new laptop for 3.5k

On 3/30/2016 at 9:27 PM, Brian said:

Agreed, unless you need a new laptop RIGHT NOW, I'd wait on the new GPU releases. 

Pascal is not going to come out with any kind of good things anytime soon. That's likely near the end of the year, and as far as we know, they're rushing Pascal, and it may be another GTX 400 series-type launch. Pascal should not be waited for, and should be treated VERY HEAVILY as a "wait and see" situation. And then of course, they're likely only going to launch with midrange as well again, meaning the best stuff isn't coming out till much later, probably mid-next year if so early.

Polaris is AMD's entry level gaming cards. Or weaker. Polaris should not be what we're looking at, but no other information is available for their other lines (I've heard the names Greenland and Vega, but nothing else). Granted I'm much more inclined to see something this year in the power class we'd like with some good TDP, which would make waiting for them a decent idea, but we know they aren't focusing on mobile now. Hell, their statement was "we want to bring console-level performance to ultrabooks". As we know the 860M/960M has basically been doing this in competent-enough ultrabook-style laptops for quite some time, so it's clear they're still playing "catch up" in the mobile sector thus far. I expect good MXM top-end notebook cards from them later, but I don't know when those might arrive.

In this respect, I'd say that RIGHT NOW, maybe up until June, is a good time to upgrade an aging machine by either buying a new one or getting new GPUs. If you asked the same question near August or September, I'd say wait if you can deal with what you've got now for another few months.

On 3/31/2016 at 9:25 PM, Brian said:

Keep in mind WCCFTech is very anti-NVIDIA and they always tend to slant things as pro-AMD. Asynchronous compute is not a big deal and if the market leader (NVIDIA) is the weakest link, rest assured most devs won't make async heavy games that harm NVIDIA. 

I don't think they're really "anti-nVidia". I think they're just the only ones willing to call them out on their crap. Truth be told, I see a LOT of websites just kissing their behinds as Mr. Fox pointed out. I even saw multiple... *MULTIPLE!* articles claiming that the 970 does indeed "technically" run a 256-bit memory bus, for example. It's false. The chips all need to run in tandem, and they cannot. It's 224-bit + 32-bit. It's like me showing you I have a quad channel kit of RAM and putting one stick in another motherboard from the other three sticks and connecting the two motherboards somehow and then informing you that I'm running my memory in quad channel. It does not work that way. ANY time nVidia screws up, people seem to like neglecting speaking about them in a bad light.

• Clockblocking? 3/4 the web makes jokes about laptops burning up... except it's legitimately impossible since the cards throttle at 92c or 87c or (in ASUS' case) 75c on a freaking 860M?
  • Bad drivers since 353.06? Nobody makes a single thread, and most people on the web are quick to say that the drivers are fine, and it's obviously everyone else's fault if any driver screws up a PC.
  • WHQL drivers causing BSODs and screwing up Windows installs? TWO WHQL DRIVERS IN ONE MONTH IN FACT? BREAKING GPUS? Nah, let's not say anything much. And even if they say anything, they usually say "don't worry they have a beta coming out soon, they'll fix it". Not even considering the fact that WHQL certification on multiple drivers in one month's time period is breaking even clean windows installs... you know, the same thing WHQL certification is supposed to prevent? Doesn't that mean that they're either cutting corners or paying for instant WHQL certification? But nope, nobody says a thing, but everyone's quick to jump on and ridicule AMD for any issue that happens.
  • Nobody even complains about the fact that so many maxwell GPUs have random crashes or need custom vBIOSes to function properly (something Kepler never NEEDED), even desktop GPUs (especially 980Ti/Titan X ones).

I won't deny that they probably go a bit far or enter into bashing territory, but honestly more people need to do it. nVidia is under the "Universal Love" banner while screwing their mainstream consumers over left and right, and only when people get hit HARD do they change their tune, even if the signs are all around.

As for the async-heavy games, we'll see. I doubt many of them will show up indeed, but their maxwell cards can do 31 async queues + 1 graphics pipeline, and Pascal should AT LEAST do the same. AMD can do 64 queues, but even AMD claims it's rather overkill to need so many queues for any game.

Edited by D2ultima
Fixed grammar and spelling
  • Thumbs Up 2

My friends @Mr. Fox  @Prema @Brian @chap @D2ultima @johnksss , I'll just open this discussion again after the latest pascal GTX 1070/1080 released. If you don't mind, I suggest discussing the upgrade possibility for this machine with the new GPU's in single and SLI options, and close it once and for all.

On 3/26/2016 at 11:52 PM, Dr. AMK said:

Dear Respected Members,

I want your advice please:

Upgrading my Clevo P570WM from GTX 880m SLI to GTX 980m SLI (=$2000) 

or  the new GTX 1070/1080 if applicable? I need to verify if it will support one or 2 of them in SLI??

or Get a new Clevo P870 or Eurocom Sky 9XE Unlocked with the 980m's SLI (=$3500)? and then I have to sell my old Beast :)

and if your advice is to go for the new system, what is the best choice?:

1- GTX 980m SLI

2- GTX 980 Desktop

3- Just wait for the GTX 980 Desktop SLI?

4- GTX 1070/1080 if applicable

5- Something else

Best Regards. 

Edited by Thumper_23
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Dr. AMK said:

My friends @Mr. Fox  @Prema @Brian @chap @D2ultima @johnksss , I'll just open this discussion again after the latest pascal GTX 1070/1080 released. If you don't mind, I suggest discussing the upgrade possibility for this machine with the new GPU's in single and SLI options, and close it once and for all.

Your best update is possible the GTX 980 130W SLI option from the MSI GT80. But I don't know if they can actually fit, and if not, then 980M SLI is the end for that machine. The other cards simply won't fit, and you don't have heatsinks for them with the custom designs, as far as I know.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, D2ultima said:

Your best update is possible the GTX 980 130W SLI option from the MSI GT80. But I don't know if they can actually fit, and if not, then 980M SLI is the end for that machine. The other cards simply won't fit, and you don't have heatsinks for them with the custom designs, as far as I know.

Thank you @D2ultima for your kind reply. 

My opinion from business prospective, strong and powerful manufacturing companies always care about the old models to support all new technologies as much as they can, this will give their products more value even the resale value will be increased, but the sales team will not be happy of course. MSI for example promised all clients that the GT80 will support 2 future generations, I assume that Clevo is more powerful than the MSI with their desktop parts and in the same time should be more flexible to upgrades as well.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that there is a solution to have at least one GTX1080 inside this old beast somehow, and maybe with some modifications SLI can be done, it needs more research and more contribution from our experts members.

Regards.

43 minutes ago, Lucifer Nymphetamine said:

Any other update ? 
Have same ´´problem´´ a phanter 5D who needs upgrade...

Waiting for our experts and heroes :super: to give us a hope :) 

There is some information we can find it in this discussion:

This is from @Prema

On 8/16/2016 at 11:57 PM, Lucifer Nymphetamine said:

Good afternoon , guys , I think my pergpunta will be directly answered by PREMA , but come on . I have a Clevo P570WM3 (aka Phanter 5D Eurocom ) I want to buy SLI 1080 ... Eurocom and Mr. Fox warned me that it is impossible compatibility. PS : I want to slit my wrists . Prema , is there any possibility of any of the paschal be compatible ? If so, what will possibly be compatible . Many thanks to all who can somehow guide me .

Single MSI GPU may work, but I have no test results, yet. None of the cards that I am aware of would allow for SLI.

------------------------------------------

This is from @Mr. Fox :

On 8/17/2016 at 0:08 AM, Dr. AMK said:

Dear @Prema and @Mr. Fox I'll ask the same quistion and need your kind advice for the P570WM.

Hey bro! Unless @Prema has some kind of info that I have not seen, I think 980M SLI is the end of the line. 

A 1060 option might exist, but a wimpy option like that really isn't an option at all. If it has no SLI connector, then it will be an unacceptable option even if it fits. 

I'm not convinced that 1070 SLI is a significant enough upgrade to justify the expense. We need some extreme 1070 SLI benchmarks to set the record straight on this, but it will still be second rate with 1080 SLI overshadowing it. And, for 1070 to fit, it's going to have to be totally different than anything Clevo brings to the table. Maybe an MSI variant.

The question of heat sink fit also comes to mind. Fitting in the chassis is the first step. Step two is cooling it. If the heat sinks for the P570WM do not fit, game over. If they fit but can't keep it cool, game over. Many variables to contend with.

Decision makers are to thank for this. We are living in sad times for tech. Nobody with awesome machines that have nothing available to upgrade to for GPUs is alone in tragedy. The change in MXM form factor has full-blown screwed millions of people that needed nothing more than a simple GPU refresh to have the best. A P570WM with hexacore or octacore CPU and 1080 SLI would have raped P870DM3. Maybe that knowledge and greed are why we find ourselves where we are now. Even @johnksss has his P570WM for sale. If there were any hope for a brighter future I doubt that he would.

Yes, I was asking @johnksss for his laptop price few days ago, and if there is something can be done it should be by him to get this old beast alive.

So we just try to deal with this facts, except if someone will do something special someday, the experts people always do, we all saw some members removing the desktop GPU cores and put it in a mobile one.

I will have hope and keep searching, and in the same time I have to prepare a new budget for the new technologies anyway and I'm getting quotations now from different vendors for the new Clevo P570WM3.

as the 1080 is 200w, the 1070 is the only option costing more than 1000€, i dont think sli is an good option but u dicide that and ull have 2 wait until brother @prema tells us if the 1070 will work

• Thumbs Up 1

P570WM is stuck at 980m SLI for now. 

I would recommend either waiting a month or so and see what happens regarding the MSI GT80 980m SLI upgrades OR get the new P870DM3 with GTX 1080 SLI. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1080 sli?! 2x200w? for reals? thats insane :D

my p170em is complete with my 980m, im stck to fhd with 60hz, there is no reason 2 upgrade 4 me, also the connectors are completely outdated. and until i have 2 run low or mid detail with the 980m it will take at least 2 years. so ill get a new laptop or desktop by that time. desktop wise ill see what vega brings and what nvidia has 2 deliver. i think its a joke whats going on, the 980 had the same power as the 780ti and now the 1070 has the same power as the 980ti, so there is basically only 1 gpu that is actually faster than theold one and this gpu is sold by 700€+... not with me, as im still stuck 2 bf3 only :D

but i d like 2 play bf3 at 4k with maybe 100 or more hz, but manufactors just wount release dp1.3 monitors... they just dont want my money

Edited by chap
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2016 at 4:15 AM, Dr. AMK said:

MSI for example promised all clients that the GT80 will support 2 future generations

Where?

I cannot find this anywhere.

I KNOW for a fact they offered GT72 with two generation upgrade-ability... but that machine launched with the GTX 880M. That means Pascal *IS* the final generation.

I have never seen direct proof that the GT72 900M models, or GT80 Titan (900M-only), have ever gotten the promise for two generations of upgrades, and if I have, I have forgotten it and cannot find it anymore.

Either way, GT80 is dead in the water. It has CPU cooling problems and its CPU heatsink is shared with its GPU heatsinks, meaning it's going to have a tough time with 1070 SLI. 1080 SLI at 130W would be pointless for the most part; 1070s overclocked would be better as well. And finally, the system CANNOT pull over 330W from any power supply even though the board does not seem to have a physical limit. They simply pushed for hybrid power because, as far as I can see it, they were too cheap, too lazy, or both, to offer a dual-PSU solution which was needed for CPU overclocks, or 980 SLI with any CPU in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1