125 Watt Power Supply for Akitio Thunder2

Ok, so for the past few weeks adter a lot of trial, error and studying up on sites like this, I've been running my Akitio thunder2 chassis with a Nvidia Geoforce GTX 750ti sc in it WITH THE INCLUDED 60WATT AC ADAPTER. Everything was working ok as long as I opened precisionx 16 and ran the card at about 92% power but i would only get about 30-40 fps, when i run it at 100% or crank up the mhz a little bit i get well over 60fps but the card eventually crashes and I get a kernal error. Anyways...to get to the point, I was doing this all on my 2015 retina macbook pro i5, and a few days ago I sold it and used the money to buy a 2011 quadcore mac mini i7 with 16gb of ram (suprisingly much faster and I only paid $600 while I sold the macbook for $950) except for the switch from thunderbolt 2 (on the macbook pro) to thunderbolt 1 (on the mac mini) but I haven't noticed a difference with any kind of bottlenecking or anything yet. Probably because it's only a 2gb gpu.

Ok, so when i was out buying the monitor (I went with an acer 23.8 inch) I also bought an asus "pa-1121-28" 125 watt power supply. When i plug this thing in and boot up with my same method it gives me a blue screen with "systerm_service_exception nvlddmkm.sys" before anyone says there's a fix for that, trust me, I already did the driver fix and it didn't work haha, also..like I said, when I plug the 60 watt power supply in, everything works fine. If there was just some way to boot up windows with the 60 watt power supply and then without windows noticing, swap out the 125 watt one everything would probably work fine. I just have no idea what to do or what's going on...why doesn't windows like this psu!? It has a barrel plug just like the included power supply. Any help would be appreciated.
By the way, the fan on the gpu spins either much faster or (when it seems to be syncing with the computer) a little bit faster right off of the bat.
thanks guys!,
Billy
Edit: I'm running windows 8.1 pro

You simply aren't giving your hardware adequate and proper power, so you can't expect it to work well.

Your Akitio PSU is 12-volt output.  The ASUS PSU you purchased puts out 19 volts. That's way above what the Thunder2 and the GTX970 require.

If you haven't already caused permanent damage to your hardware, you should just buy a quality external ATX-style power supply, such as the

EVGA Supernova 550 G2. That unit comes with the proper cables to power your GPU card directly.  You will of course need to remove the cover and/or cut a hole in the cover of your Akitio box to attached outboard power to the GPU card. (Unless you buy custom-made low-profile 6-pin power cables from eBAy, about $20 for a pair of 2, shipped.)

oh wow, thank you! I think everything is fine because the gou and Akitio box run perfectly fine when I plug in the included psu.

Wouldn't 550 watts of power for this tiny little gpu be overkill though? Would the same one, except 250watts be more than enough? Thanks so much for your help. I'm really learning a lot.

Edited by wmjnottriell

@Dschijn I have all of the supplies and even my multimeter ready to go and keep looking through articles on here but I have noo idea what i'm doing still i guess. I tried to connect a a 4pin molex to the 2 barrel plug wires that i have and it seemed like there was barely any power coming out of it....

unnamed.jpg

I've given up. I have no idea what to do. There's no power coming out of the barrel plug when I connect it. I spent 3 hours and all my money getting to Microcenter and buying the evga psu. This is a sad day for Billy.

1. You will only need 2 cables of the Molex plug, 12V and ground. But please try and get 2x Molex plugs and combine them. Here is the pinout:

Four_Pin_Molex_Connector01.png (source: http://wiki.robotz.com/images/4/48/Four_Pin_Molex_Connector01.png)

2. 12V has to be on the inside of the barrel plug and ground on the outside. Measure which cable is having contact to the inner/outer part of the plug itself

3. You need to apply the paperclip trick to make the PSU start:

Edited by Dschijn

Ok so I just tried it again and as soon as I plugged the barrel plug in, the fan stopped spinning and didn't turn on again until I unplugged everything including the paperclip...

UPDATE: Scratch that, I just tried a different barrell plug with an inner and an outer cable instead of left and right and it worked on my old shitty hard drive that I was testing with. Let's hope it works on the akitio now...!

Edited by wmjnottriell

i took two out of the 3 yellows and twisted them together with the center barrel plug cable and two of the three black grounds and twisted them with the ground barrel plug rthat was wrapped around the center. It's power the Akitio but I'm not having very good results overclocking the card actually seems to be a little bit slower...

hey @Dschijn I just want to thank you for all of your help! 

I  t h i n k  everything is good now. Except.... just two little things....is there a way to check how much power I'm sending to the Akitio box/gtx 750t? I just want to make sure that I'm not sending like only 70 watts of the available 400 from the EVGA psu. Maybe with an EVGA program or something?

Also, would games run faster or smoother if I directly connected my display's HDMI cable into the graphics card rather than the back of the mac mini? I tried it and it worked but I couldn't tell if it was faster because there are a lot of variables going on that I'm trying to narrow down.

Thanks again! :)