Battlefield 3 Performance Thread

***Optimization***

~ To bring up console in game

Render.drawfps true

Renderdevice.forcerenderaheadlimit 0

Renderdevice.triplebufferingenable false

***Performance***

System M14x I7-2630qm, Nvidia 555mGT 1.5, 4GB ram, 60 GB SSD, 1366x768 native, Driver 285.62 WHQL

Fraps Logs from 64 man full servers. 4 different sessions (Game Settings are vanilla medium to make it easy) GPU at 752/1002

2011-10-26 12:55:39 - bf3

Frames: 21822 - Time: 448160ms - Avg: 48.692 - Min: 31 - Max: 106

2011-10-26 13:03:09 - bf3

Frames: 9362 - Time: 192802ms - Avg: 48.558 - Min: 31 - Max: 119

2011-10-26 13:39:49 - bf3

Frames: 39081 - Time: 767323ms - Avg: 50.932 - Min: 28 - Max: 107

2011-10-26 13:53:36 - bf3

Frames: 14582 - Time: 293251ms - Avg: 49.725 - Min: 33 - Max: 108

Settings Ultra (All) With SSAO/HBAO, AA and AF disabled.

2011-10-26 17:56:34 - bf3

Frames: 25196 - Time: 512651ms - Avg: 49.148 - Min: 23 - Max: 119

***Other***

Step 1. Hit ~ to bring up console

Step 2. Type Render.PerfOverlayEnable True

Step 3. Type Render.PerfOverlayVisible True

Step 4. Hit ~ to close console

This will bring up a graph that shows performance. The graph shows 60 fps at the bottom (not top as you would think). The higher the mark on the graph the lower the performance. It shows the CPU and GPU performance in Milliseconds and the higher the MS means the worse the performance for that component. So you can tell whether the GPU or CPU is causing the bottleneck. Now for lower systems I understand that both will probably not be able to push the 60fps mark. But, its a cool little graph to try.

BF3 Settings Menu and Performance Impact

GRAPHICS QUALITY

TEXTURE QUALITY

SHADOW QUALITY

EFFECTS QUALITY

MESH QUALITY

TERRAIN QUALITY

TERRAIN DECORATION

ANTIALIASING DEFERRED

ANTIALIASING POST

MOTION BLUR

ANTISTROPHIC FILTER

AMBIENT OCCLUSION

Methodology - I ported in an empty server. At vanilla low settings my FPS was 61. So I used this as my marker. Please understand this is NOT to show what your performance should or will be, it just shows the performance HIT for each menu item. Your performance WILL fluctuate in MP due to server population and environmental activities. Each setting was tested individually rather than all together to calculate the impact on FPS. Last, Please understand these were taken WHILE BEING STATIONARY.

Initial 61 FPS <+/- 2 fps margin of error>

GRAPHICS QUALITY

TEXTURE QUALITY = Medium - 2 High - 2 Ultra - 2

SHADOW QUALITY = Medium - 5 High - 8 Ultra - 10

EFFECTS QUALITY = Medium - 2 High - 2 Ultra - 3

MESH QUALITY = Medium - 5 High - 5 Ultra - 7

TERRAIN QUALITY = Medium - 3 High - 3 Ultra - 3

TERRAIN DECORATION = Medium - 2 High - 2 Ultra - 2

ANTIALIASING DEFERRED = 2xMSAA - 12 4xMSAA - 19

ANTIALIASING POST = Medium - 3 High - 4 <no ultra on this setting>

MOTION BLUR = On - 9

ANTISTROPHIC FILTER = 2x - 0 4x - 0 8x - 0 16x - 1

AMBIENT OCCLUSION = SSAO - 4 HBAO - 12

Overall Settings (comparison)

Vanilla Preset settings

Low = 60 FPS

Medium = 50 FPS

High = 37 FPS

Ultra = 26 FPS

(Notes: I understand the numbers of individual settings may not exactly add up to the vanilla Preset results. I am posting what I found, rather than changing the numbers to fit the findings from the Preset results)

Edited by Stevenxowens792
  • Thumbs Up 4

This game is phenominal. As always with DICE their is some netcode issues which can't be denied. This impacts hit detection which really makes me angry on some maps but the game is so much fun. Loving it so far. I don't care about my crap K/D ratio. Just having fun.

Look me up on Origin

XcessiveForce33

Cool thx for the info. I will do this when I install BF3 tonight and post my results as well.

EDIT - The campaign game runs fine at mostly all ultra settings, cant complain. But now I cant get the MP games to launch through battlelog. "update available" Click on it, brings me back to Origin and does nothing. Tried Repair and changing browsers but no good. Will try re installing tonight.

Edited by Br0jo

@Ninja - Can you give us some performance number in MP from fraps logging, from an I5 perspective? I am going to log today as well. Just screenshot your settings (that's what I am doing). On my I7 ALL cores are being used HEAVILY and I re-enabled turbo at default settings (temps at 96c on cpu) but the game uses it.

the id changer is not working for me, the button to login wouldn't work for some reason.

Does it just keep spinning a little circle loading thingy? If so, disable peerblock (if you run it or anything similar), that was blocking it on my system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still waiting on some I5 numbers from the FRAPS logging (F11). Remember to hit a 64 player server (full if possible) and then set the video options to vanilla medium to get the best comparison. I already have an Idea of performance difference between the I5 and I7 on this game. Thanks, StevenX

dude.. my k/d ration went to shit last night as I hit 3 clan servers that were spawn camping like kids. i went like 3-10 4-11 and i forgot the last match and just left and said to hell with it. Im done with clan boxes. Sticking to public boxes and will have to deal with hackers. (ive seen a couple of players) that were damn suspicious. I killed one dude. died right in front of me. Then he just popped right back up with no revive like i never shot him and headshot me. WTF??????? (and nobody was behind him to revive him either). It even registered the kill for me too. it was WEIRD. It was not a spawn in either, same guy, same place, it was like he never died.

So I went form a 1.17 k/d to a .88 in one night. F' those spawn camping bitches.

M14x i5 (latest driver)

Overclocked GPU (750,1000)

I didnt catch the name of the map i benched on but performance between maps seems consistant. (60+ players)

Got some serious stuttering on the big maps. Never saw below 20 fps though

post-479-14494991946062_thumb.jpg

Frames 36354, Time (ms) 923370, Min 21, max 70, Avg 39.371

Frames 23331,Time (ms) 498314, Min 26, Max 91, Avg 46.820

Oops, didnt read the medium thing till just now T_T more waiting for you guys.

Edited by Ninjahunter

• 2 weeks later...

will bench later this evening and give feedback with unlocked, modded A03... Can run the game with 820Core with linked shaders...

btw: my battlelog ID: 0xN3ocort3x.

Send me request and i will add you... xD btw: Steve I added you xD... don´t be surprised ... xD

Edited by n3ocort3x

added you n30cort3x mine is marcwaters86. Guys I tried Stevens commands for the console and they seem to help me. I am currently trying 840core 1100 vram 6970m's with 2920xm @ 4.4~ stock volts cores states off so constant 4.4... and using edge detect and SSAA setting in catalyst @ use application settings on all else and everything on ultra in BF3 except AA Diffused at 2x and Post AA at medium as recommended by in shoutbox... Thanks @Widezu "For the best performance and in my opinion the best picture, use 2xAA plus medium post AA. Higher post AA cause over smoothing and thin lines begin to disappear, with medium it is perfect especially paired with 2xAA for minimal performance hit". So far mostly 60fps but according to that performance graph it drops to min of 20fps... how do i get the stats like Nija Hunter posted above?

"Frames 36354, Time (ms) 923370, Min 21, max 70, Avg 39.371

Frames 23331,Time (ms) 498314, Min 26, Max 91, Avg 46.820"

i'd like to post my performance results too... just don't know best way to show... i know i can take pic of hwinfo after hours of use... that will show good stats but how bout that listing for min, max and avg fps... since perfoverlay only shows like stats over last 5secs or something...