[G46VW] - Modified BIOS VBIOS Unlock Overclock Update

On 7/13/2018 at 6:22 PM, DragonSource said:

@Klem

Heya Klem,

I have a project going on to stuff an Nvidia GTX880M into an ASUS G75VW (normally uses a 670M). I modded the case so it physically fits but my first attempt at flashing the vBIOS worked (I guess) but there was no power to the system. I swapped the old card back, reflashed the BIOS and it booted back up. Do you have some ideas as to how to get this thing running? Your help and time is greatly appreciated!

@ModJPB

Hello Mod,

I have been reading your posts as well. A lot of what you did pertains to the mod I'm attempting also but my concern is the difference in motherboards between the 75 and the 750 (which normally houses the 880). I am wondering why there is no power to the machine with 880 inserted...not enough voltage? I feel as though if I could get the vBIOS correct, if should work...I'm open to any of your ideas as well!

I don't understand why you are changing the vbios. Are you changing the intel cpu vbios or switching a nvidia 680 into an 880 bios. You cant swap Vbios like that. It is programmed for that particular chip architecture and memory. Its not physical, its a completely different programming.

Either way you shouldn't have to touch the Vbios at all.

Have you tried starting the laptop with the 880 in it and left it to run for a minute, hard restart, and try to boot again. The system uefi bios probably is still using the stored 680 bios and trying to boot from it. If the system fails to boot several times it will usually detect an error and  then do a complete refresh of the system hardware detection and configuration. You can enable this in the system bios too, by switching the system to legacy boot (i forget the actual name) but I think it has CSM in it.

(The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2018 at 5:31 AM, ModJPB said:

Glad to hear its turning out well. I love this machine but unfortunately My G46VW screen has all sorts of vertical lines after being dropped (sniffle) so I ordered a GS46VW. RIP! As nice as the MSI laptop is, the ASUS was a work of engineering art. I wish it continued. I really despise these current thin "gaming" laptops. They just don't have the cooling power. The MSI is good but I'm afraid to overclock it with the amount of heat it generates.

Memory Overclocking is change by... in the "Chipset" menu under "Memory configuration". You have to choose "Dimm Profile [Custom Profile]" then change the "memory frequency limiter" to whatever you think will work. I was able to get 1866mhz running using Corsair vengeance RAM. 

@ModJPB

I'm sorry to hear that, it'll make a great media player for your living room in that condition though :)

I actually tried doing that but whenever I chose "custom" it just reverted back to default for some reason. 

I'm now determined to lower the heat output from the CPU while overclocking by lowering the vcore, so I ordered some bios chips to flash.

Since your version of the bios has served me well is there any chance you could point me in the right direction to make a replica of yours, but with the me flash descriptor unlocked? 

Thanks for your help! 

Edited by jacobsson

Thanks for the reply, @ModJPB

As far as messing with the vBIOS, a fellow over at the ROG ASUS forums had put a 760 into his G75. To get his working, he had to do some vBIOS swapping. It may no longer be necessary but that was the route I was following. I'll try and get it into recovery mode but I can't even get a power signal with the 880 plugged in at the moment.

• Bios Modder
9 hours ago, DragonSource said:

Thanks for the reply, @ModJPB

As far as messing with the vBIOS, a fellow over at the ROG ASUS forums had put a 760 into his G75. To get his working, he had to do some vBIOS swapping. It may no longer be necessary but that was the route I was following. I'll try and get it into recovery mode but I can't even get a power signal with the 880 plugged in at the moment.

As I wrote earlier, this can not be done.  It's difficult and long to explain, but just trust me, and do not waste your time in vain.

Vbios for Asus G75VW (GTX 660M and GTX 670M)  -  it's a part of main system bios.

Vbios for Asus GTX 880M  -  it is a separate code that is located in a separate chip on the board of the graphics card itself.

Therefore, the methods for initializing and interacting with graphics card in the main system BIOS code are completely different.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Klem& @ModJPB

I have removed and dumped my BIOS/chip now, but I just cant't figure how to unlock the ME region descriptor like you did with the one I found @ModJPB, any chance you would share yours or show me how to do that?

EDIT1: Never mind, I to unlock the flash descriptor this post from @blowntaha.

EDIT2: Found this BIOS dump floating around and it seems to have the ME descriptor unlocked (!) when disassembling it so I flashed it and desolder and swapped BIOS chip.

EDIT3:

Yes, a full 8MB FPT  dump can now be achieved!

M2zlkeW.png

EDIT4: Alright, I finally managed to unlock the BCLK!

I followed the steps in the documentation regarding 'ICC DATA' linked in the post here by @Khenglish.

g590NrQ.png

So finally, here is my contribution to unleash the power of the G46VW, better late than never?

My final version contains the following:

• The MODJPB G46 BIOS as base (all updates and GPU OC)
  • ME FW 8.1.65.1586 
  • Unlocked flash descriptor
  • Unlocked BCLK (reference clock)

Download here, ENJOY !

@ModJPB I suggest adding it to the first post for those who plan to flash the BIOS, btw I used a EZD2010 for mine.

Not too shabby

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/27822712

@ha1o2surferYou might be interested in pushing a 104.6MHz BCLK and break some records with your golden sample CPU

Edited by jacobsson