[G46VW] - Modified BIOS VBIOS Unlock Overclock Update

G46VW Modded Bios

Modded - Unlocked - Overclocked - Updated

After a year of research and testing, I modded a bios for the G46VW. This enables many features that allows tweaking and capabilities unavailable before. Thank you to those who helped with the mods! Doink, Dreamonic, Klem, Fernando & SonicX

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your laptop. Speed/heat/and power can reach levels beyond specification which could cause long and short term damage.

---> Download: G46VW Mod BIOS v4 Beta <---  

G46VW Bios210 Base:

• UNLOCKED Chipset menu and hidden options.
    • Overclock CPU Boost Multipliers
      • 37xxQM series and higher - Upto 4 multipliers
      • K series - Unlimited
    • Memory Frequency & Timings adjustable
  • GTX660m VBIOS: Disable SECURE BOOT & FAST BOOT, then enable CSM.
    • Overclock Limit - raised +405
    • Overvolt- Adjustable upto 1.20V (PrecisionX, Nvidia Inspector or MSI Afterburner (Must edit .cfg file to show)
  • Updated:
    • Atheros Ethernet: 2.0.2.6/2.1.1.1 ---> 2.0.6.6/2.1.1.5
    • Intel Raid/SATA: 11.6.0.1702 ---> 14.8.2.2397
    • Intel VBIOS: 2137 ---> 2171
    • Intel GOP IvyBridge: 3.0.1023 ---> 3.0.1030
    • Intel CPU Microcode
      • IvyBridge: 15 ---> 1C
      • SandyBridge: 28 ---> 29
    • Intel ME: 8.1.10.1286 ---> 8.1.65.1586 (Run METool.exe to update)
  • Miscellaneous
    • New Static Boot Splash Images
    • BIOS defaults changed for performance and compatibility Win8/8.1/10 (Choose 'Restore Defaults' in BIOS)
    • Fix for keyboard backlights not working. (Read 'Read Me' in fixmykb folder)

Possible Future Updates:

• GTX660m VBIOS bug fix - battery profile voltage stuck at 3D profile.
  • Change Animated Boot Logo

Procedure:

1. Turn off antivirus, windows update, running software. If system crashes during flash, it will be bricked. If flash is interrupted and you're still in windows, re-run flash.
  2. Download and extract to an empty folder BIOS Mod files.
  3. Run flash.bat (flash will start immediately and Mouse and keyboard will be disabled until done.)
  4. Shutdown, wait several seconds, then power on while holding F2 to enter the new BIOS.

WARNING: The BIOS reset jumper does not work nor does the flashback feature. Only change settings you know its affect. If new setting prevents system start you will need an external programmer or solder a new programmed BIOS chip.

• Thumbs Up 1

Klem, I am unsure of what you are asking for exactly. The ME is a seperate file update because it is not part of the BIOS updates for ASUS notebooks. The ME update only updates the software but it will not allow the change of the ME region descriptor. I can't post it to this thread yet, because the file size is bigger then 2mb. I sent Michael a link to the file and waiting on him to upload it to this thread.

• Bios Modder

When you read your bios chip with hardware programmer device, you get whole bios (file 8Mb). This file contains all regions: BIOS, ME, GBE, Descriptor, etc.

I asked  you this file.

To get ME region or flash ME in to laptop, descriptor will not interfere.  :)

If on your laptop now unlocked bios, then you can get whole bios 8Mb (or only ME region, if you want) without any hardware programmer device.

Just go in bios setup menu, Advanced->PCH-FW Configuration-> Me FW Image Re-Flash, set Enable, F10 to save, Enter.

After that procedure you can:

1. Get whole bios(8 Mb) with fptw64 program. Command:  fptw64  -d  bios.bin

2. Get ME region (2Mb) with fptw64 program. Command: fptw64  -d  ME.bin  -ME

3. Flash ME region (2Mb) with fptw64 program. Command: fptw64  -f  ME.bin  -ME

Of course it possible only one time, until laptop will don't reboot. After reboot, if you want read or flash ME again, then you need repeat Advanced->PCH-FW Configuration-> Me FW Image Re-Flash, set Enable, F10 to save, Enter.

Also you can post here just ME Region, which you can get with procedure which I described.

Edited by Klem

5 hours ago, Klem said:

When you read your bios chip with hardware programmer device, you get whole bios (file 8Mb). This file contains all regions: BIOS, ME, GBE, Descriptor, etc.

I asked  you this file.

To get ME region or flash ME in to laptop, descriptor will not interfere.  :)

If on your laptop now unlocked bios, then you can get whole bios 8Mb (or only ME region, if you want) without any hardware programmer device.

Just go in bios setup menu, Advanced->PCH-FW Configuration-> Me FW Image Re-Flash, set Enable, F10 to save, Enter.

After that procedure you can:

1. Get whole bios(8 Mb) with fptw64 program. Command:  fptw64  -d  bios.bin

2. Get ME region (2Mb) with fptw64 program. Command: fptw64  -d  ME.bin  -ME

3. Flash ME region (2Mb) with fptw64 program. Command: fptw64  -f  ME.bin  -ME

Of course it possible only one time, until laptop will don't reboot. After reboot, if you want read or flash ME again, then you need repeat Advanced->PCH-FW Configuration-> Me FW Image Re-Flash, set Enable, F10 to save, Enter.

Also you can post here just ME Region, which you can get with procedure which I described.

Klem,

The "Me FW Image Re-Flash" causes black screen. After numerous attempts to start system it eventually reset defaults and booted again. I lack a programmer but Jacobson from another thread on this forum managed to get the 8MB file. I did edit that Me firmware for unlock but all attempts to flash the Me Descriptor region failed. When I mentioned the BIOS above is unlocked, I meant that the "Chipset" menu is unlocked, not the ME firmware.

Edited by ModJPB

• Bios Modder

It is very strange. I used the "Me FW Image Re-Flash" many times on many laptops, and it always works. Just try before use it, set "Default Settings" in bios setup menu.
Also you can try flash stock bios from Asus website, then unlock only additional menu "Advanced" and then use "Me FW Image Re-Flash".

Edited by Klem

How did you managed to unlock the chipset menu?

I tried to do that but is not visible for me I think. All options (all of them, not under category are under a blank menu item, but im asking only for chipset if you did something special.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, Arise said:

How did you managed to unlock the chipset menu?

I tried to do that but is not visible for me I think. All options (all of them, not under category are under a blank menu item, but im asking only for chipset if you did something special.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just find in Setup module of bios values  01 01 00 01 01 01  and change it to  01 01 01 01 01 01

Use Hex editor.

Klem, 

I have tried on stock BIOS as well. What happens is... 

Me FW image reflash enable..

Save and restart in BIOS...

System attempts to start, black screen, power button light turns on...

Several seconds later system turns off...

Retry to turn system on and samething repeats. 

After several tries off powering on system it eventually does a hard boot (similar to when I added the ssd and new RAM the system seemed to be reconfiguring tself because it took slightly longer to boot) and works again.

Fptw64 does not work because ME is read/write protected.

Arise,

52 minutes ago, Klem said:

Just find in Setup module of bios values  01 01 00 01 01 01  and change it to  01 01 01 01 01 01

Use Hex editor.

Here is a link to Doink's write-up for enabling the chipset menu.

Edited by ModJPB

• Founder

@ModJPBfile uploaded to OP as requested. If you plan to create modded files regularly and post them, then please PM me about getting approval as an official "modder" for T|I so you can be granted additional permissions to place the files in our download area. 

Brian,

Awesome! You are a scholar and a gentleman!

Klem,

Thanks for trying. Have you had any ASUS specific laptops where the ME Flash without programmer has worked?

I wish ASUS made their "ROG" laptops like their ROG motherboards, modder friendly. Holds fist to sky yelling for the universe to hear "Khan...oh um.....ASUS!!!"

• 3 months later...

I bought a G46vw notebook a year and 9 months ago and did not know this. I've been trying to get my MSI Afterburner to unlock the fan settings but it won't work. Hoping this will do the trick. Also not bad to be able to get some more performance out of outdated hardware or whats left of it until buy something new :D

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@ModJPB Hi buddy! Long time no see.

I just wanted to see whats new since last time we talked, remember we were trying to unlock the ME-region for flashing, did you ever manage to do that?

I stil have my good ol G46VW sitting in my closet, it's a bit noisy for my taste, do your BIOS solve anything regarding noise?

Many questions I know =) 

I do still have/use my G46VW but nothing has changed according to the bios. I seem to have hit a wall. The ME firmware can be changed and updated but there is a region of the ME Firmware, where the settings are, which is read only. It has a lock on it that nobody can figure out (good job Asus). I have tried flashing an 8MB version, Shorting the audio chip pin unlock, doing a shorting pin clear cmos, to no avail. I located the ME Firmware settings region and was able to change and save the bios file but the new settings refuse to flash to the eprom. There are rumors of one guy doing it accidentally but I could not redo his "accident". Also another guy said he was able to flash his but he used an eprom programmer which involves desoldering and soldering the bios chip.

Even though the settings are available, like the fan speed control, it does not mean they actually work. Sorry I have not figured out how to reduce the noise. My goal was to unlock as much as possible, some settings just don't change the system and some settings will permanently crash the system. I learned this while going to low with the memory timings and got black screen of death. I had to order a new bios chip to solder to my motherboard to get it running again.

On 11/19/2016 at 1:18 AM, ZUES said:

I  Was wounding why I Cant Download the File Thanks 

Hey, I don't remember if I ever got back to you, but I just tried the download link and it should be working.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

@ModJPB

Hi dude, It seems like I'm checking in once a year or so =)
I actually flashed your BIOS mods, disassembled my G46VW, lubricated the fan rods,  made an CPU air-intake + dust filter and put some liquid ultra between GPU and CPU. I never thought I'd actually bust this out from the closet for daily use again!

The sounds levels are audible but more of a  nice *swooshy* sound now. Here is a pic (I might do this for the GPU as well):

Spoiler

OZ0BAcH.jpg

@Klem

Now to my questions:

1.Do you guys have any good tutorial for flashing the BIOS + Unlocked ME BIOS with a hardware flasher?
I have no problem soldering on wires for access points or even remove the bios chip.

@ModJPB

2. I never figured out how to enable memory overclocking in BIOS, how did you go about doing that? 

Edited by jacobsson

• 2 weeks later...

@Klem

Heya Klem,

I have a project going on to stuff an Nvidia GTX880M into an ASUS G75VW (normally uses a 670M). I modded the case so it physically fits but my first attempt at flashing the vBIOS worked (I guess) but there was no power to the system. I swapped the old card back, reflashed the BIOS and it booted back up. Do you have some ideas as to how to get this thing running? Your help and time is greatly appreciated!

@ModJPB

Hello Mod,

I have been reading your posts as well. A lot of what you did pertains to the mod I'm attempting also but my concern is the difference in motherboards between the 75 and the 750 (which normally houses the 880). I am wondering why there is no power to the machine with 880 inserted...not enough voltage? I feel as though if I could get the vBIOS correct, if should work...I'm open to any of your ideas as well!

Edited by DragonSource
update

• Bios Modder
16 hours ago, DragonSource said:

I have a project going on to stuff an Nvidia GTX880M into an ASUS G75VW (normally uses a 670M).

Hi!

I think that lt's impossible.

4 hours ago, Klem said:

Hi!

I think that lt's impossible.

I am a very persistent person...impossible physically or impossible technically? If there is a way to overwrite the vBIOS for 670 with that of the 880, with the proper drivers, I believe it can happen! ....I know you want a challenge, Klem!

Edited by DragonSource
update

On 7/4/2018 at 7:52 AM, jacobsson said:

@ModJPB

Hi dude, It seems like I'm checking in once a year or so =)
I actually flashed your BIOS mods, disassembled my G46VW, lubricated the fan rods,  made an CPU air-intake + dust filter and put some liquid ultra between GPU and CPU. I never thought I'd actually bust this out from the closet for daily use again!

The sounds levels are audible but more of a  nice *swooshy* sound now. Here is a pic (I might do this for the GPU as well):

@ModJPB

2. I never figured out how to enable memory overclocking in BIOS, how did you go about doing that? 

Glad to hear its turning out well. I love this machine but unfortunately My G46VW screen has all sorts of vertical lines after being dropped (sniffle) so I ordered a GS46VW. RIP! As nice as the MSI laptop is, the ASUS was a work of engineering art. I wish it continued. I really despise these current thin "gaming" laptops. They just don't have the cooling power. The MSI is good but I'm afraid to overclock it with the amount of heat it generates.

Memory Overclocking is change by... in the "Chipset" menu under "Memory configuration". You have to choose "Dimm Profile [Custom Profile]" then change the "memory frequency limiter" to whatever you think will work. I was able to get 1866mhz running using Corsair vengeance RAM. 

• Thumbs Up 1