Adapter to use Thunderbolt 2 as Video Input?

Slovedon

Is there any product out there that would allow us to use the second Thunderbolt 2 port on our Macbook Pro's as a video input? This would be a really nice boost to performance compared to using Optimus on the internal LCD. Even if there is minor input delay, I think it would still be worth it, considering the overall gaming experience is so much better when using an external monitor directly from GPU vs. using Optimus.

@Dschijn I think you didn't understand him. He wants to use the Thunderbolt connection as an input so the eGPU would connect directly to the internal display. I don't know what kind of miracles he's thinking about but that's what Optimus is doing...

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2016 at 2:13 PM, Dschijn said:

Yes there are adapters. But they are mini DisplayPort -> HDMI/VGA/DVI.

Running a monitor on a TB port will result in a Optimus monitor -> not the best performance.

For best performance the monitor has to be connected to the I/O of the eGPU.

I'm actually looking to use a TB2 port as an input, so that I don't lose performance (which, as you say, happens with Optimus) when I'm using the internal LCD.

On 2/28/2016 at 1:40 AM, Morv said:

@Dschijn I think you didn't understand him. He wants to use the Thunderbolt connection as an input so the eGPU would connect directly to the internal display. I don't know what kind of miracles he's thinking about but that's what Optimus is doing...

Yes, but we lose performance when using Optimus. If I can use Thunderbolt2 as an input, I can use the internal LCD with eGPU without the Optimus performance loss

Edited by Slovedon