EGPU+WIN7+MBPRD+EXT HD+EFI

w4vz

So I managed to install win 8.1 EFI on external USB3 HD

All checked in system32 info that it is EFI indeed

two issue:

-my device manager does not see my external GPU :/ The GPU works just fine in OSX so there is no hardware issue

-whenever I install the GPU drivers I end up with a black screen.

These issue seem to be linked to an inappropriate EFI on my machine ?

Would someone have any workaround by any chance ?

Black screens like I have and EFI installations are documented over the web but is it the end of the road ? 

Since my HD is external I guess refit would be useless ?

Im not too sure why windows does not see the card at all

Installed latest bootcamp drivers except nvidia; thunderbolt drivers should be installed. I also tried to install manually from the bootcamp drivers all intel chipset but can't get the card detected at all.

My machine is 2012 MBPRD with windows 8.1 installed with EFI on USB3 HD

please help, Im soooo close :D

IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.1d3f2739ffe9f33686d64

Edited by w4vz

making some progress

I realize that windows is not even loading the thunderbolt driver !!!!!

I got the EGPU recognized(with code 12) once and noticed that "thunderbolt" was showing in device managers

After a restart looks like thunderbolt does not show up anymore; nor the EGPU

Been reading about that apple says it has to do with fast startup but I cannot find any fast startup option under power management :( is it because Im on external HD ?

No idea; keep digging...

My only issue with the system is that I can't get the internal screen working; I have to disable the dgpu and the igpu breaks down when egpu is working. I tried every single combination of drivers/disable for igpu and dgpu but no luck yet.

Thunderbolt activation seem to be very fidly; sometime it can take a few reboots but when it is working it is rock solid; I end up a lot with black screen at boot; not sure why, I really suspect the thunderbolt not waking up properly.

Anyone has any suggestion ?

still digging; almost there...

Another thing is that when im booted up i can reactivate the dgpu and i have both screens working fine but rebooting leads to a black screen. So that confirm that something is happening during boot.

tried to install on TB HD instead of USB3 but I ran into even more issues. more black screen however thunderbolt was showing up every time in device manager so there might be some waking up issues on USB3

Managed to get it working on USB3 but win10 update seemed to mess things up again, I get black screen or error boot message. Now I have not managed to reboot it yet with EGPU connected

Such a pity cause it worked once and I played a game for while and it was rock solid.

One way of booting without the GPU is to be in safe mode and disable the DGPU and usually next reboot it loads without DGPU and EGPU. With EGPU connected I noticed I have higher chances if the DGPU 650m is disabled in device manager.

I also noticed I get a prompt at login telling me the NVIDIA drivers stopped working and recovered. Not sure why...

Beginning to wonder if my 2012 machine is just hopeless cause it is too old and the UEFI is a bit outdated ?

Maybe getting different Thunderbolt and/or nvidia drivers somehow ?

Edited by w4vz