DEll DA-2 220W

Palit GTX680 4GB - PCI-E 2 x16 @ x1 2.0 

DIY Setup 1.3

Results

3dmark06=18319

3dmark11.GPU=8222

Heaven 2454
Firestrike 5357

Sorry, in the title I'm not sure about mpcie 1 or 2 and bandwidth. 

Unfortunately it isn't worked plug and play, however worked flawlessly without change anything or using Setup 1.3 about 3 times in gen2 mode. :D 

Finally I went for Setup 1.3 and made recommended PCI Compation and chainload still worked just random few times even to set gen1 and disabled dGPU.

Then tried to use command to reset and init iport in Setup 1.3 and looks like it solved my problem. I'm not sure I need every command. It is just my common sense.

Still it is working like a charm at the moment without any problem. 

My final and working Startup.bat

call iport dGPU off
call iport gen2 2
call vidwait 60
call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call iport reset 2
call iport init 2
call pci
:end
call chainload mbr

Just wondering are my results nice, and I can leave it like this, or go ahead and do some more modifications. Like tweak more in 1.3, change the PSU. Or if this is the max I can get with the 680 does it worth it to get a stronger VGA, or no point because of the limits of my chipset and CPU.

My Windows Power Plan is set to High Performance. 

Thanks for reading. 

Edited by nando4
image, headings, linked more OP info
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 17" HP DV7-6103EG + GTX680@4Gbps+c-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC Beast) + Win10 [mrmegtette]
6 hours ago, mrmegtette said:

Results

3dmark06=18319

3dmark11.GPU=8222

Heaven 2454
Firestrike 5357

Just wondering are my results nice, and I can leave it like this, or go ahead and do some more modifications. Like tweak more in 1.3, change the PSU. Or if this is the max I can get with the 680 does it worth it to get a stronger VGA, or no point because of the limits of my chipset and CPU.

My Windows Power Plan is set to High Performance.

Thank you for posting your implementation guide. 

The 3dmark06 score confirms that PCIe compression is on. Your 3dmark11 showing similar cpu and gpu results to Balchov's ones below as extracted from https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8919-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie/#dx11

14" Dell_E6420 i7-2670QM 2.2 8.0 EXP GDC V6 GTX680 4Gbps+c-EC2 7936 6591 Balchov   Win8.1

The only further performance tweaks that could be applied then would be:

- check CPU and temps to see if it's temp throttling using say Throttlestop TS-bench. If it's temperature throttling then consider repasting the CPU and/or other cooling solutions such as running without the bottom cover on or using a notebook cooler.

- overclock the GTX680 with MSI Afterburner

- extract more CPU performance by using a BCLK overclock. Potential gain is in the 4-5% range. This is an advanced mod discussed in https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1624-lets-enable-overclocking-on-all-6-and-7-series-laptops/&page=1

- apply some more tweaks as contained in https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7838-gaming-performances-behaviours/

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank for your reply. Looks no throttling. Tried to OC GPU but looks like does not really has OC potential.

Anyway I had an oppurtunity to sell the 680 and buy a 970. Unfortunately the 970 doesn't working in gen2 just  in gen1 mode. The nvidia driver stops responding in 1-2 minutes even in idle mode. Tested with a 550 ATX PSU but pluged just to the GPU, because I don't have that ATX TO EXP GDC cable, and the Dell PSU pluged in the Beast. Same situation.

However my result promising, it is stable and have about 20% improved performance than with the 680.

Heaven score 3050

3DMark06 18875 (will provide link later)

3DMark11 10293

I'm going to try with an other PSU but I need a switching schematics of that ATX TO EXP GDC cable. I know there is around somewhere but can't find. Anyone has it and willing to pass? Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 27/07/2016 at 5:18 AM, ShOOm said:

Hello!

I have the same notebook. I have a problem with blue screen after installing eGPU. Tell me please where did you get BIOS modification for it?

Bios MOD because of the WiFi card whitelist. I hoped it will be plug and play. But after I had to use Setup1.3 anyway. If I don't use Setup1.3 my laptop also does BSOD during boot.

Bios mod:

http://donovan6000.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/modded-bios-repository.html?m=1  

If you have any question don't hesitate to ask. 

Thank you for the answer!

I did the same setup as you:

call iport dGPU off
call iport gen2 2
call vidwait 60
call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call iport reset 2
call iport init 2
call pci
call chainload mbr

Everything is perfect, but when windows start after few seconds the BSOD appears. I think that BIOS modification can solve this problem.

Tell me please what was your original BIOS before MOD?

My BIOS is F.1C, can I modify it? Im afraid of getting brick )))

Win7 x64 is installed now. May be I have to install win10?

One more question. What is the color of indicator on your Beast adapte? My is red! Is it ok?

P.S. Sorry for my English.

IMG_20160727_221027(1).jpg

IMG_20160727_223711 (1).jpg

IMG_20160726_231046 (1).jpg

13 minutes ago, ShOOm said:

Thank you for the answer!

I did the same setup as you:

call iport dGPU off
call iport gen2 2
call vidwait 60
call vidinit -d %eGPU%
call iport reset 2
call iport init 2
call pci
call chainload mbr

Everything is perfect, but when windows start after few seconds the BSOD appears. I think that BIOS modification can solve this problem.

One more question. What is the color of indicator on your Beast adapte? My is red! Is it ok?

The BSOD with EXP GDC is probably due to running the port at Gen2 speed when it's only a Gen1 capable adapter.

Pls change ' call iport gen2 2 ' to ' call iport gen1 2 ' in your startup.bat to set the port at Gen1 speed and test further.

I did all that you tell.

Now everything works without BSOD, I can watch video and browse the internet, but when I try to launch any game or stress test my eGPU - computer just shuts down (((

I think that this is a problem with my power source, will try to find another one and test it.

If you know what else I can do please tell me.

Thank you for help.

IMG_20160728_220838.jpg

IMG_20160728_221002 (1).jpg

IMG_20160728_222113.jpg

• 6 months later...

My setup was offline for few months. I had to replace the motherboard. Had serious hours to get it work again. At the end I realised the only problem I'm facing is the new Nvidia driver. With the old one from back last year it is working fine again. Anyone else having problems with the new driver?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Hi Shoom,

I saw the same BSOD issue when i tried using Beast with HP DV7 laptop but wasn't able to solve it after multiple tries. Can you please let me know how you resolved the BSOD issue? Thanks in advance.

On 7/29/2016 at 3:56 AM, ShOOm said:

I did all that you tell.

Now everything works without BSOD, I can watch video and browse the internet, but when I try to launch any game or stress test my eGPU - computer just shuts down (((

I think that this is a problem with my power source, will try to find another one and test it.

If you know what else I can do please tell me.

Thank you for help.

IMG_20160728_220838.jpg

IMG_20160728_221002 (1).jpg

IMG_20160728_222113.jpg

How did you manage to solve the BSOD issue?

2 hours ago, Somik said:

Hi Shoom,

I saw the same BSOD issue when i tried using Beast with HP DV7 laptop but wasn't able to solve it after multiple tries. Can you please let me know how you resolved the BSOD issue? Thanks in advance.

How did you manage to solve the BSOD issue?

Try to set gen1 in your startup.bat

call iport gen1 2

On the other hand, should I ask you guys, kindly to do not quote all the pictures, or if you put pictures put them in a spoiler, cheers.

2 minutes ago, Somik said:

Thanks a lot for your reply mrmegtette. Can the issue be because my BIOS is F1.C ? or because i haven't used 1.3 setup?

I haven't had BSOD with the official F1.B however, I was on this FW already. It basically costs nothing to flash the modded bios. Maybe you will run into problems using the default BIOS and without setup 1.x because the mPCIe port for WIFI module is whitelisted as far as I know. 

Above ShOOm set the link to gen1 and had no BSOD after.

If you want I can upload the modded BIOS in the morning after I'm arrive home. I try to find it now but no "official" source so I just don't want to share something I never tried. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi,

I have tried below setup and am still stuck with BLUE screen error. Can someone please help me with the correct modded BIOS and the steps to use it. Would really appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks

My setup-

HP Laptop DV7t-6c00,  GTX 1050ti and eGPU Beast 8.0

BIOS is F.1C

Steps so far -

> Connected eGPU and got blue screen, so TURN ON eGPU only after Windows loads

> After windows load, turned on eGPU and got error 10. Installed the mobile driver & resolved it.

> The got error 12. Performed DSDT with zero error to get Large Memory. Error 12 was resolved.

> Now Device Manager shows that GTX 1050ti needs a restart but i still get BLUE screen BIOS error with auto-restart whenever i start laptop with the eGPU as ON. It goes on in loop.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:33 PM, mrmegtette said:

I haven't had BSOD with the official F1.B however, I was on this FW already. It basically costs nothing to flash the modded bios. Maybe you will run into problems using the default BIOS and without setup 1.x because the mPCIe port for WIFI module is whitelisted as far as I know. 

Above ShOOm set the link to gen1 and had no BSOD after.

If you want I can upload the modded BIOS in the morning after I'm arrive home. I try to find it now but no "official" source so I just don't want to share something I never tried. 

Hi Mrmegtette,

Can you please help me get the modded BIOS. Let me know if you need any details about my laptop spec. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

6 hours ago, Somik said:

Hi Mrmegtette,

Can you please help me get the modded BIOS. Let me know if you need any details about my laptop spec. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

As far as my understanding, you are using a different BIOS. That's an RSA signed bios. You won't have any luck modding those. 

You will need to make your own thread at the Provisional Guides section and ask for help there. Unfortunately I don't know much about hot-plug installation.

Cheers,

mrmegtette