[WORKING] dGPU Macbook internal display via Optimus/GTX 970 eGPU

pizzacat

I finally got it working, Optimus + eGPU to power the dGPU Macbook internal display. 

There's a slight performance impact from using Optimus, but that's to be expected. 

8RwqMpY.jpg

reFit/apple_set_os.efi to enable Iris

gpu-switch (integrated.bat) to select the iGPU / reboot

install the iGPU drivers and run integrated.bat / shutdown

--

connect eGPU and boot

you should have 3 devices in Device Manager, with the eGPU showing an error icon

disable the dGPU in Device Manager and run integrated.bat / shutdown

boot with the eGPU connected, check Device Manager for 2 enabled GPUs

open Task Manager, there should be a constant 10-15% CPU load from the System process

Hibernate (a fix to remove the CPU load) 

Reboot and the CPU load will be gone, eGPU will work with Optimus!

How to shutdown (this is important!)

Enable dGPU in device manager

gpu-switch dedicated.bat

If you get a black screen on reboot, at any point, you probably used gpu-switch and selected a disabled GPU

reboot into windows safe mode to fix this

Edited by pizzacat
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hi there!

Good to hear you got the Optimus working! I have the same laptop as you do. How did you do it??

I am trying to do the same on my Macbook Pro with 750M and Iris Pro 5200. I am trying to hook up my GTX 760 eGPU (hardware is working fine)

I am running Windows 10 EFI mode. I have enabled my Iris Pro 5200 with the spoof_osx method of rEFInd.

I was able to install the latest Nvidia drivers, and the computer recognized all 3 GPU's in Windows Device manager (Iris 5200, 750M and GTX760).

I proceeded to disable the 750M in device manager. After I restarted, now Windows will no longer boot! Doesnt matter if eGPU is attached or not. I did forget to use Swith-GPU to switch to the Iris Pro before disabling the 750M. Was this my mistake? Should I have enabled the computer to switch to the Iris Pro first??

Are there any other steps required to get optimus working on Windows 10? Or did you just

- switch to the 5200 Pro, reboot

- Disable the 750M

- shut down

- hook up eGPU and reboot??

Thanks for any advice you might have!

@pizzacat -> You linked to this thread from the other thread saying there would "steps"? Where is the steps/guide to get this working? :D

@Dschijn -> Did you manage to get it to working? I remember you were trying to disable the dGPU only to run on the iGPU like me, but we ended up with the "idle cpu usage bug".

Edited by tre87

• 2 weeks later...
On 6.3.2016 at 3:08 AM, MacGamer said:

Do you know if this would work with my 2015 MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon dGPU?

If you've already got the Macbook simply try it. If you can enable the iGPU under Windows then you should be good to go for a Nvidia eGPU + Optimus for usage on the internal display. No need to already have the eGPU at this point.

Edited by Morv

Hello, I have followed your instructions on my late 2013 rMBP gt750m and have installed reFIND with apple_set_os.efi. I have some problems in the gpu-switch file. I've researched for fixing that (is not recognized as an internal or external command) problem, but I couldn't find any way for a solution.

When I run the 'integrated.bat' or 'dedicated.bat' I get the response:

C:\Users\Ziya Cakmak\Desktop\gpu-switch-master\gpu-switch-master\windows>gpu-swi
tch.exe -i
'gpu-switch.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Ziya Cakmak\Desktop\gpu-switch-master\gpu-switch-master\windows>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Can anyone help me with this problem ? Thanks for any respond to this message..

Edited by Archangel

• 2 weeks later...

Help me please!

I have Macbook Pro with Retina with Intel HD 4000 and Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 via Akitio (BizonBox) and everything works fine with external monitor, but when I set internal screen as main and trying to start games with external card on book display they start with internal card :( I even have "start with chosen card..." in context menu (windows 10)

Edited by Chela

37 minutes ago, cogliostro said:

You know if this will work on AMD dgpu too?

There will be an EFI app that doesn’t use either of these methods (gpu-switch/apple_set_os.efi). Confirmed to work with the R9 M370X model and Windows 10.

• Thumbs Up 2

On March 8, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Morv said:

If you've already got the Macbook simply try it. If you can enable the iGPU under Windows then you should be good to go for a Nvidia eGPU + Optimus for usage on the internal display. No need to already have the eGPU at this point.

I'm going to give that a shot. Assuming it did work, would it be possible to game in native resolution on most modern games with a decent FPS? I'm assuming a top GPU will be needed, but I'm wondering if the performance loss will be too much.

• 3 weeks later...
On March 24, 2016 at 2:14 AM, goalque said:

@goalque i need some serious help i might be retarted i dont know but i have a   R9 m370x macbook i installed refind but my biggest issue is adding the patch

apple_set_os I tried adding it in osx couldn't seem to get right im missing certain commands or something and i tried in windows access was denied once I tried access the EFI. What are the Exact commands for applying this patch?

Edited by Jameslacy18