Mid 2012 MBP 15"/ PE4C V3 w/ EC/ Sonnet EE (eGPU Problem! Help Needed!)

Kazeki

Hi,

I have a big/little problem to make my eGPU work.

Here's are my specs and hardware.

Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2012

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory

1TB Seagate SSHD + 750GB 5400 rpm (optical disc drive removed)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

eGPU needed hardware/software:

480W PSU Veriton

Sonnet EE

PE4C-EC060A v3.0 (Link to website: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V3.0.html )

QLeadtek GTX 650 Ti Boost

DIY eGPU Setup 1.20 by Tech Inferno Fan

So,

I already have bootcamp(Windows 8.1) installed. So skip that part.

Installed the DIY eGPU 1.20 (Have read throught MBR implementation, it seems my model requires 1.20 since everyone is using it?)

Hook up the hardware. Image below shown. Ok. I cant upload a 189kb picture. This sucks.

I hooked up the 24 pin from PSU to the eGPU. And use a 2 molex adapter to a 8 pin connector to power my GPU. Then eGPU express card to my Sonnet and to my laptop.

egpu2.thumb.gif.5be134b6e932d7003cc01460

Situation:

eGPU and GPU works when I on my laptop. That's fine.

Problem 1:

Whenever I do that in the beginning, my computer freezes. Before my mac can boot up to windows os, it freezes on the white screen.

Problem 2: 

Run laptop first to boot windows 8.1. Then plug in eGPU. GPU isnt detected. Nothing happened. 

So far this is accurate on what I have been doing with eGPU. I worked on this for more than half a year now. I need help.

I've gone through lots of websites and such. But havent gone through enough.

Please let me know what's my problem or any further information, i'll do my best to answer them.

(Edit1: Planning to buy a swex soon. So its gonna take 1 month time. Not sure if its needed or not)

Thanks,

Kazeki

Edited by Kazeki

Hi Kazeki, what switch settings have you used on the PE4C? I have the exact same laptop (assuming you have Retina model? Anyway not much different except for screen really) and I've found it worked best with SW1 set to "2" and SW2 set to "1"

Set up like that, I can get eGPU running in OS X or Windows with no hotplugging required.

However for me, to get eGPU to work in Windows, I did have to first open Device Manager and disable the GT650m. If I do that, then restart, the eGPU works and you can still use the normal laptop display (but you might need to reset the resolution and scaling, and it won't be hardware accelerated like the external monitor).

eGPU setup 1.20 didn't seem to work for me, it made no difference using PCI compaction so I actually don't use it at all - as long as I disable the GT650m in device manager, the eGPU works, and this is good enough for playing games on an external monitor. eGPU setup 1.30 couldn't even complete PCI compaction without hanging/crashing.

If I don't disable the GT650m then Device Manager will show the eGPU is detected but it says Code 43 error.

Hope this helps!! Also let me know if eGPU setup worked for you and you somehow can have the GT650m AND the eGPU running because I'd love to know how to do that.

10 hours ago, r00x said:

eGPU setup 1.20 didn't seem to work for me, it made no difference using PCI compaction so I actually don't use it at all - as long as I disable the GT650m in device manager, the eGPU works, and this is good enough for playing games on an external monitor. eGPU setup 1.30 couldn't even complete PCI compaction without hanging/crashing.

If I don't disable the GT650m then Device Manager will show the eGPU is detected but it says Code 43 error.

Hope this helps!! Also let me know if eGPU setup worked for you and you somehow can have the GT650m AND the eGPU running because I'd love to know how to do that.

There are several MBR example implementations for your system at 

. Notice that hand editing the pci.bat output from Setup 1.20 PCI compaction is needed. Did you so that ?

Pls advise once applied these best practices what the state of your egpu implementation is.

Hi @Tech Inferno Fan, thanks for the suggestions! I did have a look at the other implementations but didn't see any really mentioning editing the pci.bat file. Most seemed to just mention running PCI compaction which is what I did - in fact one I recall explicitly said they didn't edit any files. Even looking now, perhaps I am bad at searching, but I can't see any advice on what to edit into the pci.bat file (and I thought, perhaps erroneously, that was only necessary if you didn't want to manually run compaction and boot with the test function, anyway?).

I did get the "yes" for all things being correctly allocated but the behaviour in Windows 10 was no different to if I did not run eGPU Setup 1.20 at all (in other words the eGPU still threw error 43 unless the GT650m was disabled first). So for now it's been easier to just forgo all that and disable the dGPU but of course it's not an ideal solution...

I am suspicious of the drivers, though. Can error 43 be thrown by drivers? The GT650m is a mobile chip and the GTX560Ti I was testing as eGPU is an discreet desktop card. Could it be the drivers don't like the two running side-by-side?

17 minutes ago, r00x said:

Hi @Tech Inferno Fan, thanks for the suggestions! I did have a look at the other implementations but didn't see any really mentioning editing the pci.bat file. Most seemed to just mention running PCI compaction which is what I did - in fact one I recall explicitly said they didn't edit any files. Even looking now, perhaps I am bad at searching, but I can't see any advice on what to edit into the pci.bat file (and I thought, perhaps erroneously, that was only necessary if you didn't want to manually run compaction and boot with the test function, anyway?).

I did get the "yes" for all things being correctly allocated but the behaviour in Windows 10 was no different to if I did not run eGPU Setup 1.20 at all (in other words the eGPU still threw error 43 unless the GT650m was disabled first). So for now it's been easier to just forgo all that and disable the dGPU but of course it's not an ideal solution...

I am suspicious of the drivers, though. Can error 43 be thrown by drivers? The GT650m is a mobile chip and the GTX560Ti I was testing as eGPU is an discreet desktop card. Could it be the drivers don't like the two running side-by-side?

Yes. Ruining mobile and desktop drivers simultaneously has led to error 43. Revert to just the desktop driver.

Pci.bat needs to be edited as explained at the following amongst most MBR egpu implementations for your system. Did you not see and therefore not do this important step? 

On 2/1/2016 at 6:29 AM, r00x said:

Hi Kazeki, what switch settings have you used on the PE4C? I have the exact same laptop (assuming you have Retina model? Anyway not much different except for screen really) and I've found it worked best with SW1 set to "2" and SW2 set to "1"

Set up like that, I can get eGPU running in OS X or Windows with no hotplugging required.

However for me, to get eGPU to work in Windows, I did have to first open Device Manager and disable the GT650m. If I do that, then restart, the eGPU works and you can still use the normal laptop display (but you might need to reset the resolution and scaling, and it won't be hardware accelerated like the external monitor).

Hi @r00x,

Thanks for helping. Setting the PE4C SW1 and SW2 worked. Save me the hassle to hotplugging. But unfortunately disable my GT650M did not help at all. Still wont able to detect my eGPU.

I'm not too sure if my thunderbolt needs to be updated or not but it works with other PCI-express hardware. 

I have no error code so which mean I did not progress at all. 

18 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Yes. Ruining mobile and desktop drivers simultaneously has led to error 43. Revert to just the desktop driver.

Pci.bat needs to be edited as explained at the following amongst most MBR egpu implementations for your system. Did you not see and therefore not do this important step? 

Hi @Tech Inferno Fan,

Thanks for helping. The link you sent ,user bsohn, did help me a little bit. I dont know how but the eGPU setup 1.2 did detect my GPU or looks like it but when following the steps froze or stays when choosing an option (mind you, i press the number keys instead of anything else) . Im still stuck with my computer not detecting a gpu or giving me an error like everyone else. I need to try again. 

Bottom images are something new that happened. Probably isnt important.

new entry 1.JPG

new entry.JPG

Hi,

A little update. I followed @errin guide with every step of the way. Still no result. No detection of eGPU in windows 8.1 . 

Later, I installed DIY Setup 1.3. Giving me a chainloading error.

56b38e6b1e11f_chainerror.thumb.jpg.5ffc5

I'm really getting frustrated here. Am I really out of options here? Can someone give me a very specific guide whether I should do or dont?

Hi @Kazeki, 

If you can see the card in Device Manager that's good news. Hmm, it shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter - usually at this point it's a case of getting the drivers installed for the eGPU, I think?

Once you disabled the GT650m, did you restart?

Have you installed up-to-date drivers from NVIDIA? The default Microsoft ones might not be good enough (I might be wrong, but I think the error you describe is it complaining that it expected to work only with a mobile GPU?).

Maybe try this:

• Download latest NVIDIA drivers from their site (use your eGPU when they ask what card it's for)
  • Then uninstall your existing drivers (from Programs and Features, not device manager)
  • Then try to limit Windows automatic driver downloads (go to your System Properties (right click in bottom-left corner of screen and click System), then Hardware tab, then Device Installation Settings and set it to "No".)
  • Then restart
  • Then install the new drivers you downloaded (use the clean installation option). It should, ideally, show both GPUs now, but the eGPU will have an error  (maybe 43, like with mine)
  • Then disable your gt650m and restart - ideally now your eGPU will pop into life! You do need an external monitor plugged into the eGPU and turned on, I think.

6 hours ago, r00x said:

If you can see the card in Device Manager that's good news. Hmm, it shows as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter - usually at this point it's a case of getting the drivers installed for the eGPU, I think?

Once you disabled the GT650m, did you restart?

Have you installed up-to-date drivers from NVIDIA? The default Microsoft ones might not be good enough (I might be wrong, but I think the error you describe is it complaining that it expected to work only with a mobile GPU?).

Maybe try this:

• Download latest NVIDIA drivers from their site (use your eGPU when they ask what card it's for)
  • Then uninstall your existing drivers (from Programs and Features, not device manager)
  • Then try to limit Windows automatic driver downloads (go to your System Properties (right click in bottom-left corner of screen and click System), then Hardware tab, then Device Installation Settings and set it to "No".)
  • Then restart
  • Then install the new drivers you downloaded (use the clean installation option). It should, ideally, show both GPUs now, but the eGPU will have an error  (maybe 43, like with mine)
  • Then disable your gt650m and restart - ideally now your eGPU will pop into life! You do need an external monitor plugged into the eGPU and turned on, I think.

Hi @r00x,

Yes, I did restart after disabling the GT650M. And updated the lastest nvidia driver. In no specific order

I followed your instruction but I start off:

• Plug in eGPU , disable GT 650M, Reboot
  • Download latest NVIDIA drivers (specifically my eGPU)
  • Uninstall just the nvidia graphics driver through Programs and Features
  • Limit Windows Automatic Driver.
  • Reboot
  • Install drivers

And this happens. Once the drivers install, external monitor did went on but it show a black screen and a wifi symbol glitch on and off?

Still no luck. Oh and I went back installing Setup 1.2 for good measures.

9 hours ago, Kazeki said:

Hi @r00x,

Yes, I did restart after disabling the GT650M. And updated the lastest nvidia driver. In no specific order

I followed your instruction but I start off:

• Plug in eGPU , disable GT 650M, Reboot
  • Download latest NVIDIA drivers (specifically my eGPU)
  • Uninstall just the nvidia graphics driver through Programs and Features
  • Limit Windows Automatic Driver.
  • Reboot
  • Install drivers

And this happens. Once the drivers install, external monitor did went on but it show a black screen and a wifi symbol glitch on and off?

Still no luck. Oh and I went back installing Setup 1.2 for good measures.

Hey, I made my mid-2012 setup a few weeks back, and I had the same problem...I think.

That instruction is what I initially did to solve the problem; but every time I installed driver again (the 980Ti driver) it would automatically get 650m again.

I did a DSDT override, and it worked; take a look at the link below!

I hope it works for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2016 at 10:17 PM, farandhigh98 said:

Hey, I made my mid-2012 setup a few weeks back, and I had the same problem...I think.

That instruction is what I initially did to solve the problem; but every time I installed driver again (the 980Ti driver) it would automatically get 650m again.

I did a DSDT override, and it worked; take a look at the link below!

I hope it works for you.

Hi @farandhigh98,

I have try to follow the link you shared it but I haven't try out the results yet.

Were you able to get the same results as shown? I can't find the PCI bus last entry but only PCI complex roots. 

And also I wasnt able to get LARGE memory from device manager > resources by connection. 

I'll post another update if I was able to get it to work or failed again. I dont have the time to do any eGPU test for a while. 

It didn't work for me, alas. I got as far as getting the "large memory" shown in the Resources view of Device Manager, and using PCI compaction with the 56.25GB endpoint shows pci_alloc_valid == 512MB (previously it would only ever say 256MB). If I then chainload Windows it lets it boot and the eGPU works, but the dGPU is throwing error 12 now.

Still have some stuff to try like forcing one of the GPUs to 32bit during compaction, will report back...

Hmm, so forcing the dGPU to 32bit during compaction (DSDT overridden, compaction with eGPU setup 1.20 with 56.25GB endpoint, pci_alloc_valid == 512MB) gets me the same, error 12 on dGPU, but at least the internal LCD works again. I am now basically where I was in the first place, where eGPU would work so long as the dGPU was disabled in control panel, but internal LCD is software-driven.

The tinkering continues!

IT WORKS. GT650m and GTX 560 Ti both working in Device Manager. Now if only I can remember how... 

So I think after the DSDT override I ran PCI compaction, 56.25GB endpoint, but targeting only eGPU+dGPU, then when asked to force a GPU to 32bit, I picked the eGPU. Previously I was running compaction on "ALL except (sata, etc etc)" which was the recommended setting I'd seen in previous Macbook guides.

Am now scared to reboot.

Ok it's fine with rebooting. Although it should be noted the internal LCD and external display remain dead after chainloading begins - both only wake up once Windows finishes booting (at first I thought the system had hung, but I guess it was just sat at the Windows bootloader countdown screen thing and I couldn't see it). 

10 hours ago, r00x said:

IT WORKS. GT650m and GTX 560 Ti both working in Device Manager. Now if only I can remember how... 

So I think after the DSDT override I ran PCI compaction, 56.25GB endpoint, but targeting only eGPU+dGPU, then when asked to force a GPU to 32bit, I picked the eGPU. Previously I was running compaction on "ALL except (sata, etc etc)" which was the recommended setting I'd seen in previous Macbook guides.

Am now scared to reboot.

Congrats, @r00x. Now it seems easier to use your eGPU, isnt it?

Frustrated as I am, I cant get it to work. I might need to format again and start from scratch. 

If you could list out your step by step guide, that would be helpful. Or you had follow the same procedure that farandhigh98 given, then that's ok.

Hi @Kazeki, it does seem easier now yeah. However I'm quickly learning it matters which GPU you're trying to use. I just tried the exact same thing with a GTX 970 and it didn't work at all. Running 56.25GB endpoint PCI compaction on it as above (eGPU+dGPU with eGPU forced 32 bit) failed with an error like "no solution found". When I eventually found something that worked it just hung on booting Windows.

In fact for the GTX 970 it seems the way to get it to work was, after the DSDT override, don't use eGPU Setup at all and just boot straight into Windows. It worked right away then. Weird.

You're using a 650Ti, which I don't have here to test... hmm. How far have you gotten with yours then?

Have you got to the point where it shows "Large Memory" in Device Manager? Note that on Windows 8/10 you have to do an extra step to enable DSDT override - enable test signing by opening Command Prompt as admin and using:

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

Also check this thread, it seemed a little easier for me:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Im new here

Dude you need to connect the power supply to gpu from the board like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1avZFzVfTQ0NWtaS0xYcWhPMzA

Works for me like charm...

I got the setup done in 30 mins.

I rock on late 2012 macbook pro retina 13 inch intel hd4000 series internal graphics.

TB1->Sonnet EE-> PE4C v3.0 -> GTX 680 with antec 450W power supply.

My switches are on 2 2

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1avZFzVfTQ0WmRxUUt0dmFobG8

And here is a proof ow working display hooked through the gfx card

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1avZFzVfTQ0N1VFRXFLVHlHQXM

Edited by Madvedon
I press save too fast...