Optimus now works in Win10 using 361.75 driver

alalaka

On 07/02/2016 at 7:56 PM, Dschijn said:

Can anyone else confirm a 60FPS cap on the internal display? No matter what settings I choose, I can't exceed 60FPS.

Just tested 361.91. Same issue :(

It was something to do with the gtx660m and the fullHD display. Now I have an Asus G46VR motherboard with a gtx760m and I don't have this issue anymore.

Edited by Tempest
new info
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey guys,

I am trying to get Optimus working on Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro with 750M and Iris Pro 5200. I am trying to hook up my GTX 760 eGPU (hardware is working fine)

I am running Windows 10 EFI mode. I have enabled my Iris Pro 5200 with the spoof_osx method of rEFInd.

I was able to install the latest Nvidia drivers (361.91) with eGPU connected, and the computer recognized all 3 GPU's in Windows Device manager (Iris 5200, 750M and GTX760).

I proceeded to disable the 750M in device manager, and rebooted. Now Windows will no longer boot! It gets stuck at the "swirling balls" when starting up, just freezes. Doesnt matter if eGPU is attached or not. I did forget to use Switch-GPU to switch to the Iris Pro before disabling the 750M. Was this my mistake?? Should I have switched to the Iris Pro first, before disabling the 750M??

So are the steps to get Optimus working on Windows 10 as follows? :

- Switch to the 5200 Pro, reboot

- Disable the 750M in device manager

- shut down

- hook up eGPU and reboot??

Would it then automatically use the eGPU via Optimus with the latest Nvidia drivers?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

(Also, is there a way to re-enable the 750M to fix my windows boot problem without a reinstall of windows?)

Another "funny" observation:

I can't really predict if my internal display is "on" when booting with an external display.

Frequently my internal display is "off" (still can extend the displays in the settings but nothing happens), but that is giving me a nice advantage! It isn't a Optimus setup -> no laptop Nvidia settings -> I can use all the Nvidia desktop GPU options like DSR.

• 2 weeks later...

No luck for me , I installed a fresh Windows10 today when I read optimus finally worked on Windows10 , but for my case my games still run on integrated gpu , my model is 13" mbp late 2013 , I installed the latest boot camp and all the apple driver .

At first I installed the latest nvidia driver (364.75 if not mistaken) then optimus dint work so I uninstalled all the nvidia driver and installed 361.75 but it's still the same . My system do detect my gpu and the zotac fire storm worked as well but my egpu is always in idle state.my setup works on Windows8.1 . Anyone can help me please I am so frustrated with this problem

On February 22, 2016 at 0:01 PM, maarten said:

I am running Windows 10 EFI mode. I have enabled my Iris Pro 5200 with the spoof_osx method of rEFInd.

I didn't know this was possible. I thought having a dGPU in a macbook ment you couldn't get Optimus (because of Apple giving no access to the iGPU).

Have you had any further luck with this?

Edited by hpridham

On 3/12/2016 at 8:14 PM, hpridham said:

I didn't know this was possible. I thought having a dGPU in a macbook ment you couldn't get Optimus (because of Apple giving no access to the iGPU).

Have you had any further luck with this?

It is possible, some people with a dGPU have gotten Optimus to work this way. I have not had any luck getting it to work however.

My iGPU works fine with this method, but I cannot get Optimus running. I might have to try and reinstall Windows and all the drivers again.

On 3/10/2016 at 3:46 PM, Lee Jack said:

No luck for me , I installed a fresh Windows10 today when I read optimus finally worked on Windows10 , but for my case my games still run on integrated gpu , my model is 13" mbp late 2013 , I installed the latest boot camp and all the apple driver .

At first I installed the latest nvidia driver (364.75 if not mistaken) then optimus dint work so I uninstalled all the nvidia driver and installed 361.75 but it's still the same . My system do detect my gpu and the zotac fire storm worked as well but my egpu is always in idle state.my setup works on Windows8.1 . Anyone can help me please I am so frustrated with this problem

Are you saying your eGPU with Optimus works on Windows 8.1 on the internal screen?

Which steps did you take to get it working? Just installed the latest Nvidia drivers?

I might try and install Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10 and try again on my setup then.. I cannot get it working on Windows 10, just like you.

On March 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM, maarten said:

My iGPU works fine with this method, but I cannot get Optimus running.

Are you able to select your eGPU or iGPU from the Nvidia Control Panel's 3D rendering options? If so, does it make a difference?

I haven't made may eGPU yet but I am able to pick between my Iris 5200 and GTX 750m in the Nvidia Control Panel. Unfortunately, it didn't change my FPS in the quick game test I conducted. It may be because I was testing on my Thunderbolt display. I'll test with the internal tonight. It also may be because Iris graphics are outputting to a virtual display (as listed in Intel display settings). I'm unable to change it to my two available displays, I don't know why.

Lastly, straight up disabling the GTX 750m doesn't go well at all. After a restart my system won't boot. I think it's because (as I've heard in these forums) the thunderbolt ports are connected to the GTX 750m. Disabling it disables to parts and I'm using them to host my Windows partition on and external thunderbolt drive.

On 3/15/2016 at 9:19 PM, maarten said:

Are you saying your eGPU with Optimus works on Windows 8.1 on the internal screen?

Which steps did you take to get it working? Just installed the latest Nvidia drivers?

I might try and install Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 10 and try again on my setup then.. I cannot get it working on Windows 10, just like you.

yes my egpu is working flawlessly on windows 8.1 , just install the driver and it will run my game , but on windows 10 , my egpu is just on idle state all the time 

Help me please!

I have Macbook Pro with Retina with Intel HD 4000 and Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 via Akitio (BizonBox) and everything works fine with external monitor, but when I set internal screen as main and trying to start games with external card on book display they start with internal card :( I even have "start with chosen card..." in context menu (windows 10)

3 hours ago, Chela said:

Well, I installed Windows 8.1 and it works good with internal screen. So pity windows 10 is not, cause 8 has awful scaling with retina and not retina together.

On 3/18/2016 at 9:49 AM, Chela said:

Help me please!

I have Macbook Pro with Retina with Intel HD 4000 and Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 via Akitio (BizonBox) and everything works fine with external monitor, but when I set internal screen as main and trying to start games with external card on book display they start with internal card :( I even have "start with chosen card..." in context menu (windows 10)

You are not alone. I have tried reinstalling Windows 10 several times, and cannot get Optimus (i.e. external graphics card on internal screen) to work at all. eGPU on external screen works fine however. I have tried various Nvidia drivers 361.xx and 364.xx, but it always uses the internal GPU on internal screen. The newest 364.xx drivers even gave me an option in the Nvidia Control panel to set the GPU to Nvidia GPU for games and such, but this did not make a difference. (I had the 750M internal Nvidia GPU disabled through all this).

I don't know what the people who have reported getting it to work under Windows 10 have done differently, but many people seem to be unable to get it working. (Both people with only Intel iGPU or Intel + Nvidia iGPU in their Macbooks).

I am going to try and install Windows 8.1 now, and see if that works. I will report back here.

On 3/15/2016 at 9:58 AM, hpridham said:

Lastly, straight up disabling the GTX 750m doesn't go well at all. After a restart my system won't boot. I think it's because (as I've heard in these forums) the thunderbolt ports are connected to the GTX 750m. Disabling it disables to parts and I'm using them to host my Windows partition on and external thunderbolt drive.

Did you use GPU-switch application (https://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch) to set the Macbook to use the Iris Pro when you disabled the 750M? If not, the laptop will try to use the disabled card, and wont boot (actually, it does boot, but the screen stays black). When you disable 750M, run integrated.bat before you reboot, and then the Iris Pro will be used upon reboot. As long as the 750M is disabled, you have to run integrated.bat every time before you reboot!

I've found one thing

>> after tested the suggestion posted by geforce community, i can confirm that the current workaround for this issue will be using older ver of driver 350.12(win8.1) with windows 10. but keep in mind that the older driver did not support directx 12.

40 minutes ago, Chela said:

I've found one thing

>> after tested the suggestion posted by geforce community, i can confirm that the current workaround for this issue will be using older ver of driver 350.12(win8.1) with windows 10. but keep in mind that the older driver did not support directx 12.

Are you saying the solution would be to install Geforce driver 350.12 for Windows 8.1 on Windows 10?

Did you test and confirm that this works on the internal screen? This would be quite strange, because I think Optimus support for Windows 10 was supposed to have been added since Geforce drivers 361.75.

I think the Intel Iris Pro 5200 drivers that I am using on Windows 10 are listed as 15.38.xx (dont remember the last digits) in the intel driver update utility. It is what the Intel driver utility identifies as the latest drivers for Windows 10. I have not tried any others.

Edited by maarten

1 hour ago, Chela said:

I just tried installing driver version 350.12 for windows 8.1 on windows 10, but it did not work. The driver actually seemed to behave very strange, geforce experience software would not work, etc.

10 hours ago, Chela said:

for now I will accept win8.1 :)  In addition I have external thunderbolt ssd that doesn't work in win10

I just installed Windows 8.1 and The latest Nvidia and Intel drivers. But it is still not using the external GPU for the internal LCD.

Which steps do you take to enable it?

- Do you run GPU-switch to enable internal intel GPU?

- Do you disable your laptops internal Nvidia GPU? (Or do you have a macbook without Nvidia GPU built in?)

Did you follow the steps in this thread to install?:

Or did you modify the drivers in any way?

I am trying to understand how people get it to work in Windows 8.1. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Chela said:

Hm, I didn't do anything special. Just installed windows, then intel hd 4000 drivers, then nvidia drivers. 

didn't use guide 

today i will try to install to similar macbook

Does your macbook have a nvidia gpu built in apart from the hd 4000, like a 650m or 750m?

I think that might be complicating matters for me. I have to disable the 750m in my macbook, and then somehow let it route the image from the external gpu, through the intel gpu, to the internal LCD.

58 minutes ago, maarten said:

Does your macbook have a nvidia gpu built in apart from the hd 4000, like a 650m or 750m?

No, it has only hd 4000.

Maybe I should try windows 10 one more time then =)

dGPU K4100m with an eGPU 750ti on PE4L2.1.  I'm also having problems with win10. Everything is detected correctly, but I can only enable the eGPU by disabling the dGPU. I want to use my eGPU for rendering so I need both cards enabled. Problem is that with both cards enabled, I lose CUDA support on both cards. With either card disabled, CUDA support returns, all according to GPUZ

Edited by rubdub

• 1 month later...

Hello, this is my first post on the techinferno forums. Nice to meet everyone.  If anyone would like me to make a walkthrough on my setup and configuration adventure, please let me know.

First note to you guys in this thread to save you some time. If you disable the dgpu and cannot boot after, reset NVRAM, then windows will recover just fine :) But.. you will need to reconfigure rEFInd. It will still be installed, but not configured with windows anymore.

I was able to get optimus kind of working in Windows 10. It switches between the igpu and dgpu on the internal display with no issue. I can set both cards in the NVida tool, based on application profile.,But both cards continue to run like normal, when not being used for a heavy task, creating more heat. Any input here would be greatly apprciated. Also still having the issue with system resource usage 7-12%

I have not purchased an egpu setup yet. I want to get everything working with the igpu and dgpu first.

My Setup for reference:

Mid 2014 MBP 11.3 Iris 5200 and nVidia 750 --Turbo @ 4.0ghz

Windows 10 (No luck with 8.1, no matter what I tried..dreaded black boot screen)

Only W10 in EFI mode. Manually Configured Partitions, No OSX or Bootcamp

NVidia Driver Versions- 365.10

Intel GPU Driver Version- 10.18.15.4256 (From Windows Update)

I did install the Bootcamp Drivers though. When I built my Windows Installer Image, I copied the Bootcamp drivers folder and the WinPE folder to the root of the Same USB drive, but I removed the Apple included Nvidia Drivers. Then I installed the Nvidia Drivers after. After I enabled the Iris GPU by editing the rEFInd config file, Windows update installed the Intel Drivers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.