Optimus now works in Win10 using 361.75 driver

alalaka

According to release highlights they added: Beta support on GeForce GTX GPUs for external graphics over Thunderbolt 3

In the past Optimus could be enabled using certain changes in the INF (and probably still can.) Ill be interested to see if there are any obvious changes in these to allow for external graphics (Optimus) support.

Edit: Looks like we do indeed have some newness.. 'Surprise Removal' sounds like eGPU support to me. :)

505de44d3334fa725a94dc02221caf92.png

Edited by Nautis1100
Examining new eGPU changes

On 2/1/2016 at 5:29 PM, ady133t said:

can i use optimus on egpu without disabling dgpu in windows 10? 

I can confirm it works. Well at least we can use the eGPU to power on the internal screen and we don't need setup1x to disable the dGPU before booting into Windows.

I've just tested it in my Asus G46VW using EXP GDC Beast mPCIe.

I can have the 660m and 750 2GB on at the same time with drivers 361.82. I was even able to have version 361.75 in the GTX660m while at the same time version 361.82 in the GTX750 2GB. In order to "force" the GTX 750 to power the laptops internal screen all I needed was to disable the 660m in the device manager and restart the laptop. Not restarting would the mean that only the HD4000 would power the laptops internal screen.

In my opinion this is a huge improvement compared to what we had before, specially in Windows 10. But on the other hand this should be like this since 2012... I guess its better late then never :)

Edited by Tempest
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Tempest said:

I can confirm it works. Well at least we can use the eGPU to power on the internal screen and we don't need setup1x to disable the dGPU before booting into Windows.

I can have the 660m and 750 2GB on at the same time with drivers 361.82. I was even able to have version 361.75 in the GTX660m while at the same time version 361.82 in the GTX750 2GB. In order to "force" the GTX 750 to power the laptops internal screen all I needed was to disable the 660m in the device manager and restart the laptop. Not restarting would the mean that only the HD4000 would power the laptops internal screen.

In my opinion this is a huge improvement compared to what we had before, specially in Windows 10. But on the other hand this should be like this since 2012... I guess its better late then never :)

If your machine only has a dGPU built in, will disabling the dGPU (no iGPU) after having the eGPU up and running route the output to the internal display if you turn on Optimus?

3 hours ago, pants_problems said:

If your machine only has a dGPU built in, will disabling the dGPU (no iGPU) after having the eGPU up and running route the output to the internal display if you turn on Optimus?

As far as I know in order to have optimus enabled, one of the requirements is to have a system with the Intel iGPU enabled.

On 02/02/2016 at 11:58 PM, Tempest said:

Update

I tried the same with my GTX680 4GB, but I was unable to make it work with optimus. Either something went wrong, or NVIDIA is not supporting older generation cards. I hope something went wrong because a GTX680 4GB is still a very capable graphics card. And as we know a GTX770 is a GTX680 with a bit faster Ram, so there is no technical reason to limit its use, unless for comercial reasons....

I need to test the GTX680 4GB connected to my Dell E6430 (iGPU only model) with Windows 10 and this new NVIDIA drivers. Update! I tested it and as I thought it doesn't work. I wonder if it was intensional or not, if it wasn't maybe its just a matter of modding the drivers. I have no problems enabling optimus using the same hardware with Windows 8.1 and the same version of the NVIDIA drivers but for windows 8.1.

Edited by Tempest
Update

Made a total reset of my MacBook to test Windows 10 today.

I have eGPU performance on:

- external display

- internal display without external display

- internal display with external display connected and internal is main desktop

Had some trouble with the driver in the beginning but after some reboots and the installation of the latest driver it all worked great!

• Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Can anyone else confirm a 60FPS cap on the internal display? No matter what settings I choose, I can't exceed 60FPS.

In witch games? Some games cap the FPS at 60, some even 30..

FPS capped at 60. But only in directx 11 games or benchmarks, directx 9 runs normally.

Edited by Tempest
Update

Is there a way to handle Optimus in any way?

I sometimes boot into Windows and my internal MB display is turned off, because the Intel Iris GPU isn't recognized. Without the Iris GPU I have different Nvidia options, that are not available when the Intel Iris is available as well.

E.g. without the Intel Iris I can set and use Nvidia DSR (downsampling) in games to play in 4k on a full HD display. As soon as the Intel Iris is installed, I don't have that option anymore...

3 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Good Afternoon, 

I have just installed the latests Nvidia Drivers on my MBPR ( Iris Pro + 750m ) in Windows 10  and have my GTX 750ti recognised in device manager as well as some of the options in Nvidia Control Panel. It does not give me an option, however, to enable a total switch to the GTX 750ti for applications and games.

Is there an additional step I must undertake ( presumable to enable optimus and allow a total switch ? ) I have tried disabling the gt750m however this then prevents nvidia control panel from recognising the gtx750ti. 

Many thanks for any response

Will follow this thread acordingly, planning to use a gtx 970 on pair of the inner k1100m for CUDA applications, being able to set the eGPU without the setup 1.x could be a great benefit from this new driver on W10

Can we use TB3 on non-Macbook? And run the internal display, all results and previously established functionality being equal?

Looking into going the TB3-laptop route if a dock is ~150 or 180usd.. Maybe 200 consideration. : ) These things need to go mainstream and get cheap(er), at some point.

Can we drive say, external 5kCinema or 8k (these things are getting, and going to be sanely priced/on market, surely by Tokyo 2020 Olympics, if not mid-17'-early 2018) to TB3 e-GPU from a laptop (Say 6700hq/950m) wherein each i-gpu/d-gpu do not, nominally 'support' above 4k,

though e-GPU will?

Edited by brazilnut79

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.