Alienware M18x R2 (single 980m) Constantly restarting when on battery

huangsj

Same thing with my M17x R4, but only while gaming or stressing GPU. I think the battery cannot supply enough power to the 980M. But if this occurs to you while idle, something is not right, maybe there's a background task forcing the GPU to higher states / high load?

Did you try diagnosing the issue?

-Power drain.

-Different driver/ re-install same one.

-Different vbios.

maybe it has something to do with N$vidia's  battery boost accessed from Geforce Experince.

Edited by Solo wing

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 2:32 PM, huangsj said:

I installed a 980M in my Alienware M18x R2.

However, I found that it constantly reboots when the laptop is not plugged in.

Is anyone able to help?

You can check your bios if it has the latest update

Also you can borrow another battery and give it a try , to rule out any battery problems

@ntmtsg @swick is currently working on the BIOS for the M18X R1, He just got back after an extended away period. If it is possible, It should only be a matter of time.

@huangsj Just for diagnostic purposes... Try using nVidia Inspector to downclock you card(s) and see if you still BSOD, Also adjust your power plan settings to Balance or Power saving (temporally) , I'm guessing that you are on the right path about being under amped.