M18x R2 8 beeps - advice most welcome :D

Potestatem

I managed to managed to 8 beep my M18 r2 the other day, admittedly after a drink! I was looking through the options of a few GPU tuning apps few apps, the idea was to not to set any changes, but it looks like I must have. My initial thought was that the mboard was at fault as it has always been a temperamental machine and to date the core multiplyer has not been above 12.

The last thing I remember clearly doing was playing with the gpu fan overrides in EVGA, I realise this can send some systems bonkers but I have my doubts. My suspicion is that the discrete graphics were turned on.

I spent the first day flashing back from the unlocked A08 to the stock A03, this turned out to be a task but I managed it. I had half expected this to fix whatever it was causing it but it was not to be. I am pretty confident that I am now running the stock 03 as it is now very easy to flash using the e-sata port.

Today I tried a method I saw Mr. Fox post on netbook review.  > Remove BIOS and system batteries as well as all of the the RAM   > turn on the system and listen to the beep s> and await a brief shut down  > slot in of a single stick RAM while the power is off > Allow reboot.

This has yet to result in the system briefly shutting down. The first time I waited 40 mins, but today I waited 4 hours, there was no shutdown. I had to quit after 4 hours it felt like I was going insane! - There was however some strange behaviour from the beeps. The beeps went through phases of coming from each of the speakers individually It then it sounded like the batteries on the speaker were running out of juice, even though there was no battery connected.

I also removed both GPUs and booted it up in the hope that if discrete gfx had been enabled it would boot up with it. Again it was a fail.

As todays last ditch attempt I removed the SLI cable and again nothing.

Tomorrow I am planning on dusting off the old GPU my machine came with and trying that. If it does turn out to be my GPU’s I can use the old one to ID which one (or maybe both) is at fault. I would guess that if it is my GPU’s then some crap has been written to the VBios… cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

I am also getting my little bro to drop off his broken laptop in the hope that I can somehow wire his screen up to mine and confirm that it is not the screen as the bleep code suggests.

This is where I am at for now. If anyone has any tips or advice I could use I would be most grateful as I am now losing all hope L

Specs are: 3940XM, 32 GB 1866 Ram, 2x 880m (looking forward to Premas latest work:D)

Thanks in advance

Will

• 2 weeks later...