BPlus PE4C V3/V2 discussion

useafo

2 hours ago, Coriasis said:

Would you happen to know how I could test if the ExpressCard port is working?

You can try with some other expresscard device (Maybe this?), but you will have to be sure it uses the pci-e connection, as some only need the usb part of the connector and may work normally even if there is a problem.

I think it would be better if you can find someone to help you test the PE4C.

Also, be sure to take a look in your BIOS to see if the port is disabled or something.

Is there something wrong with the main DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0] thread? I can't seem to open it.

Edit: Seems to be back for for me now. It must have been my internet or browser...

Edited by 3RYL

There is no information about exp gdc v8 Gen speed, however there is a customer review  " Uncommon hiccups with Gen 2 Signalling issues, external monitor will either shut off completely or driver will stop responding for a few seconds. Do not recommend this device if you cannot use Gen 2 Link speed. " (source: http://www.banggood.com/NGFF-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009978.html in customer review section). In conclusion, exp gdc v8 can handle only Gen1 speed.

EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Started by jacobsson

Why US$83-shipped 0W PE4C V2.1 is better than a US$50-shipped 0W EXP GDC V6? | Why US$134-shipped 220W PE4C V2.1 is better than a US$99-shipped 220W EXP GDC V6?

Picture comparison: Download >> PE4CvsEXP <<

+ Tech Inferno Fan has found clean Gen2 signalling of the PE4C V2.1, whereas EXP GDC V6 has unreliable glitches

+ Has a PM4N socketted mPCIe option

+ BPlus have a history of delivering quality products to the DIY eGPU community.

+ Easier to purchase with quicker delivery

+ Has H1PA option -> can connect to a desktop PC to extend the slot

+ Has a x2 link option, though this is primary for users with 1st gen i-core or older systems. Intel locking down 2nd Gen i-core or newer systems to prevent that.

+ Has locking x16 slot

+ Support two delay switch (PCIe Reset Delay and CLKRUN) to avoid registration problems when booting

+ 0W BPlus offering includes the special PCIe power cable that the EXP GDC V6 0W package does not

Why EXP GDC V6/V7s better than PE4C V2.1?

+ 0W US$50 offering is far more affordable. Their a user sources their own ATX PSU to drive the adapter.

+ import tax free for some EU countries

+ Dell DA-2 native input cable -> Customer can buy the PSU locally in their own country -> corrected in PE4C 2.1. It too has a native DA-8 8-pin input.

+ Rubber protected (re-enforced) mPCIe/EC cable

+ Very good shape of adapter

+ V7 has a x2 2.0 NGFF.M2 PCIe connector option

+ V7 has very stylish enclosure options

Disadvantages:

- V6 had some quality issues: USB port power, faulty mPCIe/EC cables, PCI Reset Delay faulty on some samples

- logistics/delivery/purchase is more complex via Taobao agents like yoybuy

- No x2 link option where can combine EC+mPCIe or mPCIe+mPCIe (Series-5 1st gen i-core or older chipsets)

I recommend PE4C v3.0 over exp gdc v8, although it is slightly pricier (maybe +$10 over exp gdc v8).

Edited by cpar

Wait so your psu is a 20 pin connector correct?

Does it have an extra four pins separated into an adapter connector?

Or get a different psu.

Do you have the set up software by chance?

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I've recently jumped onto the eGPU bandwagon as well and it's working pretty okayish on my Lenovo ThinkPad X230 and my GeForce 950 seated on an EXP GDC V8.

However, I've recently stumbled upon this forum here seeing that quite some people prefer the BPlus PE4C 3.0 as it is able to properly handle ExpressCard Gen2 signals (in that regard: I've seen people running their EXP GDC Setups @ Gen2 speeds).

As I am using this setup mainly to play video games I was wondering if there's any - besides having roundabout double the bandwith available - notable "real world difference" between running this card at ExpressCard Gen1 speeds and Gen2 speeds. I am asking this because I currently do have the chance to sell my EXP GDC and get an BPlus PE4C 3.0 instead (it's pretty difficult to get your hands on one of these without owning a credit card in my country).

Many thanks in advance!

- KernelPanic

Edited by KernelPanic
typo

On 19/05/2016 at 5:13 PM, KernelPanic said:

As I am using this setup mainly to play video games I was wondering if there's any - besides having roundabout double the bandwith available - notable "real world difference" between running this card at ExpressCard Gen1 speeds and Gen2 speeds. I am asking this because I currently do have the chance to sell my EXP GDC and get an BPlus PE4C 3.0 instead (it's pretty difficult to get your hands on one of these without owning a credit card in my country).

Hi, Nice to know about your success with your eGPU!

I have switched to a PE4C 3.0 because my EXP GDC was crashing under heavy load on Gen2.

Running my 960 on gen1 generally resulted in lower fps than on gen2, unless on very light load (On internal display, Project Reality gave me over 42 fps on gen1 vs 58-60 on gen2. Anyways the eGPU was always faster than dGPU. There are also some benchmarks I posted some weeks ago in this topic if you want to take a look). But if you are ok with gen1 speed, I don't think there is anything to bother with.

Edited by 3RYL
  • Thumbs Up 1

Want to know if mine PE4C v2.0 will be not in danger with this unusual usage: I got for free an old  HP Elite 8100 mid tower, i7 860 12GB ram, want to use it with my current eGPU HD7950 but his 320w PSU it's not enough and not standard. 

So I ... put my videocard in the PCIe slot and want to use PE4C just to power it as in the pictures. 

Being the card not connected to PCIe slot of PE4C  he will power it, or create some mess?

IMG_20160522_234824.jpg

Edited by davide445

On 8/24/2014 at 1:15 AM, James D said:

I guess IQ test is really needed to be registered here. You can't know if other guy is trolling or he is THAT DUMB to be unable to understand basics like 2+2 = 4 or where is your right hand and where is left one.

Perhaps we should also have an electronics common sense test?

4 hours ago, davide445 said:

Being the card not connected to PCIe slot of PE4C  he will power it, or create some mess?

I don't know what you are doing, but it won't work.

>>>/r/techgore/

Edited by Arbystrider

Tested and the adapter is not powering the card, with the PC off.

Powering also the PC so that the card receive power from mobo PCIe slot, the card will also possibly be powered from PE4C adapter?

I didn't want to harm PC PSU by leaving it alone in powering such a hungry card.

Edited by davide445

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

New to the forum and to eGPU.  I was going to order the P4EC v3.0 but realize I could not use both an mpcie and the express card because the cables are not interchangeable, they are soldered onto the boards.  I wanted to do my own testing to see which would be the prefered method for me because I have both options.  Can someone tell me what the pro's/cons of both adapters?  It would save me some $$$ from purchasing 2 whole units.

1 hour ago, tony_2018 said:

Hi,

New to the forum and to eGPU.  I was going to order the P4EC v3.0 but realize I could not use both an mpcie and the express card because the cables are not interchangeable, they are soldered onto the boards.  I wanted to do my own testing to see which would be the prefered method for me because I have both options.  Can someone tell me what the pro's/cons of both adapters?  It would save me some $$$ from purchasing 2 whole units.

If you ignored the performance of pcie gen 1, maybe you are considering to buy PE4C 2.0

23 hours ago, gharimanto said:

If you ignored the performance of pcie gen 1, maybe you are considering to buy PE4C 2.0

Not really tech savy on what port speeds  are for both the express card and pci-e.  I wanted to test both out to see which port I would benefit from.  On my t520 the pci-e ports are under my keyboard and make it hard to access or route since the cable is kinda thick and hard to maneuver.  I don't want to completely tear up my laptop to find a way to route that cable and make it hard for me to remove if I need to take the laptop remotely where I won't be able to use the external adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys first of all thank you for all information displayed in the forum's. 

My question is;

Depending on the graphic that I'll be using the Dell 220p AC will be sufficient, but is it better to get an ATX power supply instead? 

Does it comes included with the Pe4c v3?

If not can I buy it separately? Don't see it in the website. 

Cheers guys

2 hours ago, warl0ck said:

Hi guys first of all thank you for all information displayed in the forum's. 

My question is;

Depending on the graphic that I'll be using the Dell 220p AC will be sufficient, but is it better to get an ATX power supply instead? 

Does it comes included with the Pe4c v3?

If not can I buy it separately? Don't see it in the website. 

Cheers guys

I recommend to buy new atx psu.

Dell da2 220w was discontinued.

If you found one, that will be refurbished.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, yeahman45 said:

I see a lot of posts about  PE4C V 3.0 not working or unstable on gen2 .. I am interested in a eGPU adapter mCPIe with stable gen2.. can you guys recommend one??

The PE4C 3.0/4.1 are the best that I know about. The PE4L 2.1 must be the same but has a smaller conector and pcb. If any of those shows Gen2 instability then you should RMA and replace them.

Edited by 3RYL

On 7/9/2016 at 6:15 PM, 3RYL said:

The PE4C 3.0/4.1 are the best that I know about. The PE4L 2.1 must be the same but has a smaller conector and pcb. If any of those shows Gen2 instability then you should RMA and replace them.

but why are so many users in this thread reporting crashes with PE4C 3.0 ?? Really want to order the PE4C 3.0 to replace my EXP GDC V8 (which crashes now and then with gen2) but PE4C 3.0 is 2 to 3 times more expensive thant the EXP GDC v8 and I don't want to spend so much money for something which will not be stable on gen2.. 

So are users reporting crashes with PE4C v3 just stupid users who don't know how to connect the GPU or are there really issues with PE4C v3 on gen2??

1 minute ago, yeahman45 said:

but why are so many users in this thread reporting crashes with PE4C 3.0 ?? Really want to order the PE4C 3.0 to replace my EXP GDC V8 (which crashes now and then with gen2) but PE4C 3.0 is 2 to 3 times more expensive thant the EXP GDC v8 and I don't want to spend so much money for something which will not be stable on gen2.. 

So are users reporting crashes with PE4C v3 just stupid users who don't know how to connect the GPU or are there really issues with PE4C v3 on gen2??

I don't know what's happening to others. But I had performance issues on gen2 with my first PE4C 3.0, so I made an RMA and replaced it with a working one. Probably some manufacturing issue with the cable or soldering...

13 minutes ago, 3RYL said:

I don't know what's happening to others. But I had performance issues on gen2 with my first PE4C 3.0, so I made an RMA and replaced it with a working one. Probably some manufacturing issue with the cable or soldering...

ah ok ... did you have to return the item? Shipping is going to cost a lot in my country. thx for helping btw

4 minutes ago, yeahman45 said:

ah ok ... did you have to return the item? Shipping is going to cost a lot in my country. thx for helping btw

Yes. I had to return it for them to test it. Strangely it worked on Gen1 and did not crash at Gen2, just had terrible performance.

• Thumbs Up 1