Still having problems with OCing Ultrabay 650M

amishhipster

I can overclock the Onboard 650M just fine, but I cant for the life of me figure out whats going on with the Ultrabay. I have flashed it multiple times with the modded VBIOS, but I still cant get it working. This was working for back with I had W7 installed right when I got it. Recently I've had to switch back to the good ol Y500, but I need the extra boost from getting above +135MHz on the 2nd card. Any help would be awesome, thank you.

onboard.png

ultrabay.png

Looks like you have the correct 80.07.27.00.3A Ultrabay vBIOS for Windows 8.1/10, but it is not unlocked. So you need to unlock it to OC core past +135 MHz. Or go back to Windows 7/8 and use the existing Ultrabay vBIOS mod based on 80.07.27.00.33:

JiliGlr.png

Edited by octiceps

1 hour ago, amishhipster said:

So would it be easier to find it unlock, if its even around, or is it something that I could do myself? Or should I just go back to W8? and if thats the best option, can I get a link to the 80.07.27.00.33 Vbios?

svl7 never modded the .3A vBIOS, but someone else did (can't remember who, @Klem maybe?) because I've got one here, which I've attached. However, it only unlocks the core clock limit, not voltage control. If you want to overvolt the Ultrabay, maybe you could kindly ask Klem to mod in voltage control for a small donation or something? Otherwise you could use W7/8 with the original .33 mod (which is fully unlocked) located at the bottom of the sticky.

SLI 650m - 80.07.27.00.3A mod WIN 8.1.zip

Edited by octiceps

Ok, That's the last vbios I ran acrossed, and it didnt unlock my core. I tried flashing it multiple time, with no avail.

nvflash -i1 -r

nvflash -i1 -6 filename.rom

Any Ideas at to what I might have been doing wrong? Im going to try to flash again, with the file you linked. Maybe the download was corrupt that I grabbed earlier. I dont have to uninstall my Nvidia drivers and reinstall for it to work or something stupid correct? Also, im using the newest version of nvflash, which is 5.163 and not 5.127, could that be the culprit?

If I can't figure it out, I think Im just going to install W8, and reflash the .33 and call it good, I dont think I've ever had this much trouble with this.

Thank you immensely for your help by the way.

Ok, so I just tried it with nvflash 5.127 like in the guide, and I used the vbios you provided, and I still am locked, I just dont understand. I even tried

nvflash --protecton

after flashing and that didnt help.

Edited by amishhipster

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/01/2016 at 8:42 PM, amishhipster said:

Ok, That's the last vbios I ran acrossed, and it didnt unlock my core. I tried flashing it multiple time, with no avail.

nvflash -i1 -r

nvflash -i1 -6 filename.rom

Any Ideas at to what I might have been doing wrong? Im going to try to flash again, with the file you linked. Maybe the download was corrupt that I grabbed earlier. I dont have to uninstall my Nvidia drivers and reinstall for it to work or something stupid correct? Also, im using the newest version of nvflash, which is 5.163 and not 5.127, could that be the culprit?

If I can't figure it out, I think Im just going to install W8, and reflash the .33 and call it good, I dont think I've ever had this much trouble with this.

Thank you immensely for your help by the way.

Ok, so I just tried it with nvflash 5.127 like in the guide, and I used the vbios you provided, and I still am locked, I just dont understand. I even tried

nvflash --protecton

after flashing and that didnt help.

same for me, I successfully flash it, but when I reboot, it is still locked... someone please help!

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here.  Something with Windows 10 must be causing the problem.  I had some issues with the modded vbios previously in Windows 8.1 where the ultrbay GPU would work and after a month it would go into questionable or not working status and I would have to reflash or flash back to stock vbios.   I am using the .33 modded vbios from the sticky.  I havent tried that .3A bios..

I read this thread and thought I would test if I am having the issue and I am.  So flashed to the OC unlocked vbios for the ultrabay GPU and it will not overclock past 135mhz.  So we obviously need a fix for the bios for someone who knows how.  I would be glad to donate some money if someone were to dig into the bios and see if they could find a fix.  I would be happy to be a guinea pig for testing too.  Thanks.

Edit:  Tried that modded .3A bios and still no luck.

Edited by IR1

OK I got good news.  I saw in the main Y500 bios mod thread that someone tried using NVflash for Windows and got their ultrabay flash to take.  So I tried it using the latest version of NVflash for windows and boom, my ultrabay is now unlocked and shows the modded bios.  So I don't know if its something screwy with the version of Dos NVflash were using or what but the Windows one works.  Give that a shot.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2016 at 5:48 PM, IR1 said:

OK I got good news.  I saw in the main Y500 bios mod thread that someone tried using NVflash for Windows and got their ultrabay flash to take.  So I tried it using the latest version of NVflash for windows and boom, my ultrabay is now unlocked and shows the modded bios.  So I don't know if its something screwy with the version of Dos NVflash were using or what but the Windows one works.  Give that a shot.

Super strange, because I tried this a bunch of times. Then the last time, I killed any running apps except the Command Prompt, ran the commands, and immediately REBOOTED. This time it worked! So, yep. All the instructions in the original y400/y500 thread still work, even in Windows 10 Pro (x64).

• 1 year later...