Member Introduction Thread - Post Here!

Hi everyone, I’m ELF! Just signed up as I heard a lot about this site being able to help satiate my hunger for overclocking and  modification! Hopefully I don’t nuke a computer...lol.

Edited by OMGitsELF

On 7/26/2018 at 2:04 AM, Cailley06 said:

Feels good that there are still new members coming in. Welcome everyone!

It’s crazy to see how active the community is around here. Heck, there are still some older threads that are 5+ years old that still continue to be active. Made me feel welcome. :D

Edited by OMGitsELF

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm Couce.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:00 PM, OMGitsELF said:

It’s crazy to see how active the community is around here. Heck, there are still some older threads that are 5+ years old that still continue to be active. Made me feel welcome. :D

I'm really impressed with the Tech|Inferno community too! Hoping to learn a thing or two about system tweaking and modifications...

This forum is a great source for knowledge!

Hello everyone! My name is Devon, you can call me what you like though! 

A very tiny bit about me lol:

I started my tech journey around 13-14 years old, when I got my first Android phone. A Droid X2. Oh boy I soft bricked that thing so many times, until the inevitable hard brick. And many more lol. Anyway, here's a little about what I've got going on currently:

I like to impulsively buy computers I either cannot afford, or that are dirt cheap. I'm currently working on two projects, an Alienware M14xR1, and a Lenovo SFF. This will likely change here soon, as I get bored with projects quite easily.

The Lenovo SFF desktop is going to be a media computer that I put in the bedroom. Likely, my fiance will use it more than me, seeing as I like some power in my computers lol. Currently my M14x is on its way to being the best it can be. I paid 25$ for it, off of some guy on Facebook marketplace. He said it needed an OS and a charger. Seeing as I had a looooot of parts and extra things from my last project, (Dell Precision M4600) I decided 25$ was a steal and I couldn't pass it up. So, I brought it home, and man did it need work. Hardware/software side was good to go. I loaded up Windows 10, no problems. But boy was this thing gunked up. And it still is, I'm working on fixing things here and there where budget allows. I'll attach some pics if I remember to.

So, the M14x came with an i5 in it, not sure of the exact model. I know its a quad core, that's about it lol. I immediately ripped that out, seeing as I already had the best cpu I could possibly put in it from the other project. (Which by the way that M4600 project failed because it bsod'd me and I smashed it over my knee. Oh well, need to control my anger better lol.) Anyway, I had harvested all of the parts from the M4600, which consisted of: 1. (an i7 2920XM extreme edition cpu 2.5ghz base clock 3.5ghz turbo) 2. (24 gigs of ddr3 1333mhz ram) 3. (an intel centrino ultimate-n 6300 wireless card) 4. ( a Samsung 840 evo ssd).

Obviously I can't fit all 24g of ram in here seeing as it was in 4 sticks, so I took the best pair, and chucked it in. It replaced a good set of Crucial 1333mhz 4gig sticks. Then, I tore into the entire computer, every last screw and clip, tore it all down and gave it a much needed clean, seeing as the heatsink fins were hooooorrible. As I was in there, I swapped out the cpu, which I really didn't know if it was going to work, and by the grace of the laptop modding gods, it was the same socket. (I kinda thought cause the M4600 and m14x were built in the same year.) Anyway, I slapped some new thermal paste on the cpu and gpu dies, replace the thermal pads, and screwed that weak looking cooling apparatus back onto the mobo. Then I slapped the Samsung ssd in, and put it all back together. I didn't put the other wifi card in as I felt like any difference would be negligible. I loaded up a fresh copy of Windows 10, and there we have it. A laptop that can't do a single thing but look cool BECAUSE NOW I HAVE TO MANUALLY LOAD DRIVERS! GRREEEEAAAAT. 

Anyway, after a painstaking hour for scrambling to find the right wifi card drivers, I finally got everything loaded and working properly.

A couple of days pass, and I start watching Youtube videos and looking on fourms. I start to learn about the modded bios's and overclocking the dgpu. I installed Msi Afterburner and I have reached a stable clock of 730mhz core and 1050mhz memory on stock voltages. Although MsiA isn't allowing me to modify my shader clock. Weird. Anyway, I start looking into the modded bios more, I ended up flashing an unlocked A05 because that's all I can find. And that is what has lead me here. I need the Voltage Mod A08 bios that sl|7 has created, but I had to make and account, and now have to jump through the hoops to get the download lol. I tried buying the pass but it won't accept my card? Anyway, this has been a little about me and a lot about my current project. I hope whoever reads this has a good time reading it, I honestly don't know why I spent this much time on this but oh well. I'm glad to be a part of the T|I community! 

If anyone ever needs anything that I have, just ask. I'm here for anyone!

Oh, I decided to add this after proof reading, I thought it may be worth mentioning:

I'm also going to be trying to figure out the egpu setup for the M14xR1. There is VERY limited info on the Googles that I can find. I have the Beast 8.5 and an EVGA Gt 740 SC 4g. That failed on my M4600. I even did the bsbd or whatever it was, it just literally didn't work. Nights of frustration, I just gave up. But now that I have the M14x, it looks a little more promising with the unlocked bios and all of that. Anyway, thanks for reading if you made it this far! :D

• 3 weeks later...

hi guys I am back, long time no see, hey Michael and co good to see you again, the only person I don't see is Joker, is he still around? oh and what happen to my account? I used to be registered since wow a long time ago, about the time I got my alienware 21 inch and that many moons ago

Edited by sentinex

Hey Guys.....Mike from up in Canada eh. Got myself a Alienware M17X R3 from back in the day haha Looking to do some upgrades on it and glad i came around this website as there is crap ton on info to scour through. Thanks to everybody for their support and glad to be on here!

Hi everyone! Registered to the forums because I'm trying to modify the BIOS of my laptop. I just got a new wireless card but unfortunately the Lenovo whitelist is making my life... more difficult than it needs to be.

I have a pretty old laptop and I've been thinking about adding some more RAM / mayyyybe swapping out the HD for a SSD. Hoping the forums can help!

Hello all!

I took my first steps trying to optimise my windows 98 to workable state back on some really old trash. Learned a lot and in fact ended up falling in love with tinkering with it. After a not so long career in IT everything got forgotten for a while. Now my Clevo P150SM is getting old. Time to see what I can do with it and hopefully learn from it. Seems like interesting place here. Haven't seen forums with such intro rules, but it certainly looks promising!

Hi guys, I'm Nicolita, I'm a Web Designer in an online company that offers pet waterer (which provides water automatically without taking your time away from other responsibilities). I'm here because I love playing games! Please welcome me! :)

Edited by Nicolita

Hello everyone! Rookie here. I'm glad to have found this great online technology community. 
I hope to learn more from the other members here and be able to help others.
Thank you.
Edited by jose333

I just bought an Alienwre m17xr4 and sold my 2new Alienware 15s.  did the GTX1070mxm upgrade and this thing is flying. but Im still having an issue, now the gpu fan wont spin, only does on boot but then I have to use HWinfo to make it spin. could this be fixed with unlocked BIOS or vbios change as I am using an MSI vbios.

if anyone has questions about the swap Id be glad to help!

• 2 weeks later...

Sup guys, I'm Drozof and I been doing stuff with GPUs ever since I got a GF4 as a kid and OC'd it so I could get good frames on Vice City

Right now I'm mostly into laptop graphics, wondering why MXM  ports aren't more common.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, im new here, needed a good tech site for advice and such, figured this was the best after many look arounds, went ahead and did the 1 year elite.  My system is an Alienware M18X R1, I7 2920 XM, GTX 780M, and ssd with regular 1tb hd,   im not a pro, but do a lot of laptop repairs and builds,   thanks for any advice givin in the future.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd post here. I've helped my friends with their builds and have done some upgrades to my personal laptop but I'm always looking to learn! For the time being I'm using a Lenovo y510p with an added SSD. Looking forward to being a part of this community and making my own contributions! 

Just posting a friendly hello!

joined today after needing to find the Lenovo Y400 bios mod. Just bought one of these laptops for gaming and have an ultrabay GPU coming in so I don't want this baby gimped when I used it.

So glad to see such a great forum to be a part of now!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, my name is Dashuang because I am a twin brother and I have a brother named Xiaoshuang. I'm glad to open this great forum, but my English is so bad that I can't use translation software (grammar may be incorrect) to hope that you can give more advice, a child from a mountain village in China.:hyper:

Hello all, just your regular user here. Sometimes I help where I can, sometimes I need help.

This time, i'm trying to get my 7670m working again after I realised W10 isn't all it's hyped to be and there aren't (or at least, weren't) drivers for 7670 on W10.

I'll post in the HP laptop board and if I don't get much visibility, I'll post in the general laptop discussions and see how that goes.

Hi, I'm working on a GPU upgrade I haven't seen yet (M2200 into a Precision M4700) and thought this would be a good place to share my experience and learn from other users. I've seen and used guides from here in the past, so I'm glad to be able to contribute in some way! I have a thread up in another subforum here, check it out if you believe you have anything to share on the subject.