Member Introduction Thread - Post Here!

35-year-old IT-guy from Denmark here. I live in Nibe, which is a nice, cozy little coastal town :-)

I've been using/working with computers since 1989, which has also made me quite knowledgeable when it comes to computer hardware/software. I do not do any programming though, but I am running a small gaming community, and hosting a gaming server running Minecraft (among others), with a few programmers attached. There are also a few gamers of course, and they all connect to my TeamSpeak server, which I am also hosting.

My current mission:

I have a Lenovo Y500, which I am looking into modding.

I change laptops quite frequently and I always learn new stuff, whenever I disassemble one. In my line of work, I usually disassemble 2-3 laptops a day.

This Y500 will be given to my fiancée, when I have fixed my MSI GT663, which is sporting a 2nd-gen i7 and an MXM GTX 570.

Some of you might wonder why I change laptops frequently, and I can tell you this: Whenever people come here to get their laptop repaired, some of those people don't want to spend anything getting a laptop repaired; they'd rather buy a new one. Which means I sometimes get to take the broken laptop home with me, where I can often repair them for small amounts of money.

Don't hesitate to ask me, if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey! So this isn't my first post - already posted in the eGPU top level asking for help but didn't realise you had an intro thread too! Completely randomly got onto this forum after a slightly inebriated buying session the other night. Long story short I have a EXP GDC Beast on the way from Gearbest so I'll probably get that some time next year and a Radeon HD 7950 from a guy on eBay winging it's way as of tonight before I really got reading the forum and finding out that AMD cards offer less performance and are more unstable than their equivalent NVidia cards - so off to a good start then! All I need to do now is buy a power supply that won't supply the amps required and I'll have a complex looking paper weight! If you have any sympathy for this idiot then please check out my thread here: 

Thanks for introducing me to my next money pit! :baby:shudda bought a desktop:baby:

Hey all from Canada. 

In laptops I have:

- my beloved M17X R1 with a QX9300, 8GB Ram, 5870M's in Crossfire, and 4TB storage

- Thinkpad X230T modded to have the old classic keyboard

- Thinkpad Z60M with titanium cover that I recently acquired, no idea what to do with it yet

- Thinkpad T60 that I'm currently working on to create a T601F Frankenpad for office productivity on the go

- Thinkpad 770Z that I acquired a few days ago that will be put to use for classic gaming

My desktop is custom built with a 42" NEC Professional monitor, AMD FX-9590, R9 290, and 32GB Ram

I love older Thinkpads, and I love older Alienwares as you can tell. Newer Thinkpads do not interest me anymore, besides the Thinkpad Helix. And the new Alienware lineup that just released has finally peaked my interest, fell in love with the design at the Microsoft store.

Hello i have been here for a while cant remember the day i regged but finally decided to post something well here it is :D im a software developer/ PC Tech/ Phone Tech/ Jack of all trades hit me up if you need anything.

Hi to all.,

I am new in this forum, and I am interested in Laptops... Fix it., most of the time... broken ones.. screens, hinges, keyboards and all related to that...

I end in this forum following a link to a modded bios for my lenovo y570..  I want to replace the wifi card.. so I will be around...

thanks , regards.

Hey everyone,

I'm also new to this forum. Hardware and gaming enthousiast.

Found the forum after looking for eGPU information. From what I have seen this forum provides by far the best information about eGPU and other hardware optimization.

Currently using a Thinkpad W520 i7-2630QM. Plans to use my eGPU graphics card in a self-build desktop propably half a year later or more..

Cheers!

Edited by Yy_12

Hello all members and readers here,

I'm from France, I'm a computer hardware geek addict, I have an Alienware M17x R4 which has already been deeply  upgraded: I changed RAM, CPU, GPU, put SSD for OS and Msata for caching in it, changed CPU fan... I'm interested about putting a latest Nvidia pascal card (GTX 1060) in it and this is why I came here, I found an interesting thread with positive feedbacks on this upgrade. Oh and yes, I'm a gamer too.

Thanks for sharing all useful informations we find on this great forum guys!

Hey all! Still slogging along on my Lenovo Ideapad Y480. It's still a lot more power than I need most days (i7, quad core, multithreaded, 3.2 ghz), so not looking to upgrade any time soon...

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey y'all, new user here looking to learn and grow! I found this forum via several helpful and informative posts regarding laptop modding - particularly, for the Lenovo Y500, which is the laptop I own and that has seen heavy use over the past few years. My experience in most things relevant here is pretty limited, so I would only consider myself a power user, at most, in most regards, though more capable with technology than most I know. This, I'm looking to change through self-learning and possibly higher education in the near future.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I found this site and google looking for mods. As a provident spender, I like to upgrade components when possible, but it has been more difficult with laptop computers than desktop computers. I wouldn't know how to disassemble or mod a laptop without seeing others do it first. So I am thankful for those who have paved the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I've been following this website for sometime, but never had to post anything myself, as I've seen most of the topics are already there. They are very helpful.

Until recently I was curious about certain mods/upgrades and thought there was no other community better than this, who has hands on experience. So I gave it a shot.

Loving the work everyone has done so far!

Cheers!

Hi everyone!

This is Kyung, lives in Atlanta GA. I have been reading and learning a lot of stuffs from this forum. Honestly I joined T|I to download one of the BOIS Modification file for my Lenovo Y510P. However, since I'm here as a member, I will try to add any comments that are worth to share.  As I love DIY modifications on my laptops and desktops, hope I could help someone else here.

Also, I really appreciate all of the T|I members sharing great informations and MOD materials. It's been one of the best resources for me to learn, fix, or mod my hardwares and softwares.

Hello there!

My name is Edney Helene, i do live in Sao Paulo!

Enthusiast, 29 years old!

been modding amd bios with rbe theres a time....also used alot that ubu bios updater to update some of the internal bios modules....

Now i just moved in into notebook platform since im moving from my country!

Bought an Acer f5-573g-59aj and i think this forum is the right place to start on researching how to mod my bios and unlock some advanced features! 

Its my pleasure to joing this place with u guys! 

I registered since my projects become more complicated i.e. laptop engineers/designers became more stupid and the forum already helped me out a few times.

Don't really know people IRL who are interested in hardware, modding and all the other crap we love and I really miss to have conversations and debates about all those things.

I got a shit-ton of different laptops (since that's part of what I do for payin bills) and won't bother to name them all.

Thank you very much for this forum and everybody who brings something useful to the table.
Regards from Austria.