Member Introduction Thread - Post Here!

Hey all. They call me Max and I'm currently living in Scotland while working as an IT Tech in the Royal Air Force. Despite the job title, I don't do much work with PC's, but I did build my first proper rig a few years ago. Previous to that I purchased an Alienware M18x R2 and I recently discovered you can use the Express-card slot to hook up an external GPU. As you can imagine this is something I'm very interested in as it would extend my laptops usability by several years.

This is what actually led me to your site, but I have to say I've enjoyed browsing it for the past few days and hope to become a regular contributor.

On 5/19/2016 at 0:08 PM, ekolsucram said:

I am Marc from the USSR, been reading these forums for some time now.

Especially interested in the eGPU section here and have finally registered to know more.

If you've PMed me (on some other platform) regarding eGPU setups, I think you'll remember who I am...

-----------------

I haven't posted in this thread before and I won't bother "introducing" myself but I just have to ask: This board is titled "Site Announcements, Rules & New Member Intros", so where are the rules listed?

• Founder
33 minutes ago, Arbystrider said:

If you've PMed me (on some other platform) regarding eGPU setups, I think you'll remember who I am...

-----------------

I haven't posted in this thread before and I won't bother "introducing" myself but I just have to ask: This board is titled "Site Announcements, Rules & New Member Intros", so where are the rules listed?

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

• Founder

Yeah those are the abbreviated rules where the more in depth TOS can be found here:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/ti-tos/tos/

Just now, Arbystrider said:

>(e.g. spam posts, one liners, file begging, complaining etc.)

That is a very... minimalist rules list, but alright, thanks.

Hello everyone.  Found your site while searching for a perplexing problem with my Dellware, sorry Alienware Laptop.  I have been working on fixing this issue since Thursday, May 19 at around 10pm.  Lets just say I have found more forks in the road than the number of Republican candidates at the start of the primary season (I am a Repub., so I can jest about my party).  I will be posting my issue in another forum.

I have been using computers since the Apple II era.  My first computer was a clone of the apple, the Franklin Ace 1000 (or was it 1500).  Anyhow it had more memory and better features at a lower price.  Add in a printer (dot matrix Epson), 1 floppy drive (5 1/4), something upgraded inside (don't remember), total cost a little over $2000.

I am tenacious when it comes to solving my computer problems, since I know that is the only way I learn new things and to not have to go through a reinstall.  I have watched the tech change, the cost come down and the errors/issues increase, and the requirement to find a school that speaks WER logs.  Some are easy to read others it is more like a dog chasing his tail.

I build my own computers, troubleshoot them, and provide advanced free tech support to my Mom (who ironically is able to create problems I have never seen before anywhere - for example AOL is rolling out a new interface, she somehow triggered it on her computer 2 months before release - don't even ask me how).

Well don't know what else to say about myself.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, danger007 said:

my Mom (who ironically is able to create problems I have never seen before anywhere - for example AOL is rolling out a new interface, she somehow triggered it on her computer 2 months before release

In the IT field, you learn the meaning of the term "Advanced stupidity" - It is a type of user error that can take your entire team of technicians months to figure out how it happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course you can't call your mom an "Advanced Stupidity" initiator/creator.  Is there a more PC friendly (not Personal Computer, Politically correct :) ) of telling your mom of 84 years that she has created an error that would require technicians to get involved in solving it?

Hello all,

I came across this site a few years ago not too long after purchasing my Mythlogic P150EM. I quite enjoy the dedication here so I guess I'm a long-time lurker first-time poster. How I came about this place was looking for BIOS information/instruction for my Clevo :)

The community here looks fairly stable and definitely mature compared to many other places I have frequented and/or lurked.

Anyways a bit about me. I currently work in Storage Support for NetApp. I have a BSc in Computer Engineering Technology and I love to game. One day I hope to design games myself. I enjoy technology in many areas and enjoy tinkering around with anything from building systems to overclocking them, to supporting them to modding them and beyond.

Hey everybody! 

I was fortunate to run into this forum thanks to a diy eGPU install video on youtube. Thanks to nando for his setup program so I can get my eGPU recognized on my Alienware M14x r2. All I need now is a custom bios to overcome whitelisting & I'm all set!!!

Cheers (& good luck to those looking to run an eGPU setup)

Hello everyone! 

I'm a newbie compared to most of you when it comes to laptops and upgrading them.

However, I've been lurking for a while and I admit I'm very excited over the prospect of having a laptop I can carry anywhere and a powerful eGPU when I get home. 

I'm going to research on my own as much as I can, but I hope you don't mind if I do some newbie questions every once in a while! 

Hello guys, 

I recently signed up on T|I to learn more about the fascinating mods out there for notebooks. I have a G46vw, had for a year and 9 months. works fine, bought used with a lost keyboard key/button. I came to this forum when i saw a post on Google search about a mod for the G46vw because MSI Afterburner would not unlock the fan settings and i was hoping this would do the trick and unlock some hidden features. I never knew there was such works on the web before. I'm also thinking about getting this baby cleaned and trying to add a dedicated eGPU and make this last a bit longer. I'm looking forward to learning about the awesome knowledge the community contributes to this forum and ways to improve old technology and make that old notebook into something worth still using with some included mods. 

Thanks, Lime.

Hi to all and I'm proud to be a newbie.lol!

I would like to introduce myself. I'm Tony and the reason why I am joining this forum, is because, I am enjoying reading others thoughts and opinions and I also love to share what I want to share (does it make sense? Since, this is my first post, I am glad that anyone could help me or give me some advice on how to have a good post in forums.

Thanks biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 11.9.2012 at 10:26 PM, ryangoan said:

hey guys,

thanks for having this great forum where you dont ban people.

i was directed here due to the Tech Inferno Fan ban issue and am showing my support by making this my new home :) and i deleted my 2 threads that i started regarding upgrading an hp probook 4330s to an i7 quad.

ill repost here. cheers!

ryan

Hi,

Did you succeed upgrading HP Probook 4330s to i7 quadcore? Please share the cpu model number. I was asking the same quetion on other forums, and someone said that an upgrade to i7 QM worked, but for some reason the CPU performance is restricted. Did you experience any such problem?