M17x R4 w/ 680m to 980m

Billy54

Hey guys,

So I was looking into upgrading my R4's 680m to a 980m. I've followed svl7's guide to unlocking bios (thanks svl if you're reading this :D)  and am currently running A10 unlocked on Win 7.

I've read a lot of posts about upgrades that all describe bits and pieces of the process but would like to know a more in depth solution. From my understanding I first have to run DDU. once I have the card installed I have to disable the integrated sound and graphics, enable discrete graphics, and boot in UEFI.

My questions are as follows:

1) Am I a total s***head & said something that was incorrect/unnecessary?

2) If not, are these in the right order? (If no, what would the order be?)

3) Am I missing steps?

I know the amount of information I posted is minimal, but I am unsure what information is necessary.

Thanks in advance,

-Billy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  i got this one  its gonna work pls also upgrade to windows 8.1

No PEG on M17X-R4 with nVidia GTX 980M

phobos1984 replied to vonkarayan's topic in Alienware M17x / AW 17

assuming you flashed A11 unlocked do this: - go to the bios (press F2 repeatedly on boot), load the default settings. Now Save WITHOUT exit. Go to Boot menu -> "Boot list option" UEFI -> "Load Legacy Option ROM" Disabled -> "Secure boot" Disabled-> " Windows 8 Fast Boot" Disabled. Now go to "Advanced tab" -> "Video Configuration" -> "Primary Display" PEG. Now go to "PCI Expless Graphics" -> "Aways Enable PEG" Enabled. Save and Exit bios. From here you have completely disabled your integrated graphic card and...

Well I do have the 60Hz display & Optimus. But I also have a 980m in my R4 already :D... Only trouble I'm having is my inability to use an external display (4k) because the intel card can't output in 4k yet Optimus still sees in appropriate to let the intel card do the work. I'm also going to be away from my alienware for a while so I can't make any changes. :/ Oh well, thank you guys anyway