2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX980TI@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + CalDIGIT + WIN8.1/OSX10.10.5 [jmlee5]

Jmlee5

Very big thanks to the tech|inferno community!!!

This is my first post. The forum actually was under revamp during my build, It was a good thing I was trolling this site for about 8 months and pretty much had the entire site in my web browser cache.

Hardware

The Hardware Test - OSX 10.10.5/DaVinci Resolve

IMG_1977.thumb.jpg.2ef4abfe3d5b02af9f89b

-NYC Gaffer

-Aspiring cinematographer, needed more horsepower to hack at my 6K footage.

-Constraints of living in New York, desktop is not an option.

-Test was a success! Time for the build.

Akito Thunder 2

IMG_1989.thumb.jpg.02a5670a048b77f4d247d

-I took the enclosure to the shop and hacked the case down to this.

IMG_1990.thumb.jpg.db1480b32accc425dd85b

-Affixed what was left of the Akito to the SilverStone Case

IMG_1992.thumb.jpg.78f15f64a617822f93218

-I originally had the SFX 600W power supply. It arrived DOA. I strongly recommend not using the SFX PSU, It has a smaller louder fan. the SFX-L has a quiet 120mm fan that lines up with this cases vent holes

-Paper Clip trick (pin-out diagram in the manual, cables are black)

-Time Machine Drive

-Akito PCB

IMG_1993.thumb.jpg.629b49ced5e9e94799731

-GPU + SSD

-I used an expensive 3m PCIe riser cable (the ones with the blue tape from amazon are doo doo. You can see the quality of the solder points on this cable)

-I've read plenty of horror stories of people blowing out their GPU or mobo using cheap cables

-Molex to Barrel to power the Akito PCB

IMG_1996.thumb.jpg.01f3eb3859d8dfb767b1f

-Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2

-2nd Molex to barrel adapter to power the Thunderbolt hub.

-SATA to eSATA cables

-Future project: 4 - 1TB SSD raid 0 using both eSATA and USB 3.0 ports  (need fast storage for 4k - 6k footage)

IMG_2057.thumb.jpg.40d2b7770558c2f8fa1f1

-Bottom drawer

IMG_2044.thumb.jpg.ccb96dea17d6a2e94d665

IMG_2042.thumb.jpg.c2235453df22b22f46d85

-Casual Gaming Setup

IMG_2041.thumb.jpg.5c43f957cb628ed86cf9c

-Bluetooth SCP DS3

-PS3 Controller

-Laptop Cooler (clam shell mode is not recommended, overheats easily)

IMG_2049.thumb.jpg.18f9715e3ae1fe026355c

-DaVinci Resolve Setup using the UltraStudio Mini Monitor output to the TV (end of the thunderbolt daisy chain)

-GT750M=GUI, GTX980TI=horsepower (not connected to display), UltraStudio Mini Monitor=Output

-CSGO setup is not so different, just add Steel Series Mouse, Big mouse pad, 7.1 headset, and keyboard (but in Windows)

Software: OSX

• OSX 10.10.5 - I was stumped for a few hours because I needed to use version 0.9.6 vs 0.9.7 of goalque's script because I have a dGPU

• It seems like he's solved this issue with 0.9.8 which is great (0.9.6 was really hard to find).
    • Goalque you are the man!!! I thought the OSX implementation was going to be difficult, but it was a breeze thanks to you.

• Here is a helpful youtube link to deploy the script (watch all of it before you begin).

5682202b13763_ScreenShot2015-12-28at10.5

Software: Win8.1 (Master Boot Record)

• I had trouble installing Win8.1 MBR (I tried from Disk utility, and from windows install cmd prompt - diskpart to create a MBR partion, but I failed)
  • I'm sure there is a better method, but this is how I did it:
    • Bootcamp Assistant: remove the windows partition
    • Insert install usb on left side USB port. 
    • Used bootcamp to install Win7, 1st step is creating the windows/MBR partition (if I broke the install process and tried to Alt/option to the usb installer I would lose the keyboard and mouse)
    • Booted back into OSX and used bootcamp to create a WIN8.1 usb install
    • installed WIN8.1 on the WIN7 partition. (Nando's DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 works best with MBR vs UEFI, which is the reason for all the fuss)
    • Paypal $25 to Tech Inferno Faneva to get the DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 (best $25 ever spent)
      • Very Special thanks to Nando for quickly responding to all my questions.
      • He sent me a specific startup.bat and pci.bat for my GT750M
      • All installation instructions are sent with the software in a very clear email.
    • Install the CalDigit drivers for the Thunderbolt Station 2 (this caused me a bit of grief, I assumed the drivers were installed because my drives mounted when I booted with Just the TB hub)
      • I used my wife's hair ties to firmly secure the eSATA cables to the hub.
      • If they are slightly loose, the drive will still mount, but will not function or format properly.
  • Disabled windows Paging and hibernation
  • Windows automatic login

Overclock eGPU:

• MSI Afterburner
  • (+125) 1490 Mhz core on boost
  • (+505) 4009.5 Mhz memory
  • 64.4% ASIC quality
  • 110% power limit
  • 87mV
  • 91c temp limit
  • custom fan curve
  • ~74c Load, 50-60% fan speed

Under-volt CPU with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility:

• I've been getting through the benchmarks with -74mV, but I would crash after an hour or 2 of intense gaming
  • been testing -53mV right now for stability
  • Macsfancontrol to boost internal fan controls

Benchmark results

3dmark13-FS=13228

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 score: 2091

Valley Benchmark 1.0 score: 3488

Startup procedure

• Laptop off, eGPU thunderbolt cable connected to port closest to MagSafe, power on eGPU, power up laptop.
  • If boots to black screen:
    • turn off Laptop off, disconnect the eGPU thunderbolt cable, power cycle eGPU, power on laptop holding down "option", wait for the boot drives and the mouse cursor to appear, plug in eGPU thunderbolt cable, select drive
    • If hangs at boot selection, power off laptop (leave eGPU connected and powered on), power on laptop
      • Almost always works if it comes to this stage (keep in mind this is for my particular setup)
      • Very pleased with ease of boot, I was experiencing nightmares during initial build.

I can't thank everyone enough in the forums for sharing their experiences

My question: Are there any OSX overclocking utilities, like afterburner? (before I start playing with the maxwell bios tweaker)

Edited by Jmlee5
formatting, link 3dmark13 results

Great setup! Unfortunately there is no tool for OSX to OC the card. The only way would be to mod the BIOS.

If you have in Windows a constant CPU load of 10-20% without doing anything, try this:

- boot into Windows

- set Mac into Hibernate mode

- power on MacBook and boot again into Windows

On some games it is also nice to limit the CPU clock speed to sth like 3GHz, which results in much lower temperatures (with the lower voltage) and stable CPU clock speeds.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jmlee5,

I have very similar usage for my MBPr mid2014 GT750M.

Thanks to goalgues's script egpu setup on OSX 10.10.5 was flawless.

I am using Akitio box, Zotac GTX970, CHIEFTEC Smart Series SFX-500GD-C power supply for GPU and Akitio.

It is working even on restart. With 400W cheap power supply I have to hot plug Akitio so I have changed power supply.

My main goal was to using it for DaVinci Resolve, but gain over GT750M in rendering is only 3-6 fps (usually only 3fps). But playback of 3.5K Alexa 4444XQ footage is jumpy, stuttery and eventually stops. Without eGPU, playback is steady.

What is your experience with DaVinci Resolve in OSX? Can we compare rendering times and usabilty?

Is enyone else is willing to try transcoding on various setups with CUDA acceleration (or Open CL) in DaVinci Resolve so we can compare.

Davinci Resolve is free and it is very easy to do testing if we use same footage and same export encoding settings. I can provide guides.

Cheers

Hello guys, and JMlee5,

I also have a Macbook Pro Retina 15 late 2013 with the Geforce 750M. I am interested in making a very similar eGPU setup, running Windows 10 (or 7 if I must), and using the internal LCD, not an external monitor.

I will be using a EVGA GTX 760 and Akitio Thunder 2.

I am pretty clear on the hardware side of things, but not the software...

I am trying to figure out if I need to use the DIY eGPU 1.3 setup software to make it work. Or does it work just plugging the eGPU in and booting windows? Will windows recognize the eGPU without aditional software?

I am very new to this, so forgive my noobish questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

@Necemon I can playback red 6K footage at 1/4 res at 23.98fps. In windows when I overclock the card I can get 16 fps at full res 6K. If I modify the bios I'm sure I can pull down the same speeds on OSX. I don't have any Alexa footage on hand. I can try and get my hands on some and do some tests. Are you east coast? 

how fast are your drives? If your media is on a spinning hard drive I would bet that's your main culprit. 

@maarten the answer to your question is no, windows will not recognize your eGPU without additional software. You will get an error 12. 

You don't need to purchase the DYI eGPU setup it just makes things easier. I would say I'm pretty tech savy, but doing the DSDT overrides myself is a bit out of my depth. What really impressed me was Nando's support. He answered most of my questions within a few hours, even on Christmas Day. (Def worth the $25)

@Dschijn I followed your advice running my cpu at 3.0ghz everything runs super cool/stable, no matter how much abuse I throw at it. Rock solid advice. Thanks!!!

Edited by Jmlee5

In windows it shows video card 1: GeForce GT 750M - GUI only, Video card 2: GeForce GTX 980 Ti

In osx it only shows the gtx 980 Ti, but performance is the exact same as in windows (and the eGPU can not drive the internal display)

The Ipad 2 is using "air display" as a 2nd monitor (i suggest using duet instead, 60fps on the ipad)

The ipad retina is using "VS element" connected via tangent hub.

The app is free for one hour each day. But keep your eyes out for the tangent ripple. It's a control surface for $350 coming out soon. 

IMG_2153(1).JPG

Edited by Jmlee5

I think it's a bug. Both GPUs are doing what they are supposed to be doing. It just doesn't show up in the preferences. 

As stated above, everything displays properly in my window's preferences, but only my 980ti shows up in osx. Performance is the same between both operating systems.

In both of our builds the 980ti and the Titan are overkill for our CPUs and akitio.  

Edited by Jmlee5

• 6 months later...

@Jmlee5  I successfully added the GTX 980Ti to my mid 2014 rMBP dgPU using goalque v 0.9.9 

But the card is seen by the system but not by the programs, am I missing something? the monitor is not detected by the system 

Did you need to run "nvram tbt-options=\<00\>"  for the dGPU

when i ran it I got: 

nvram: Error setting variable - 'tbt-options': (iokit/common) general error

I am wanting to use it for CUDA programs like Resolve and 3D

any help would be greatly appreciated TIA

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 10.59.56 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.02.39 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 11.04.49 AM.jpg

On January 25, 2016 at 7:26 PM, maarten said:

I am interested in making a very similar eGPU setup, running Windows 10 (or 7 if I must), and using the internal LCD, not an external monitor.

On January 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM, Dschijn said:

No real and easy way to make it work on the internal display for games!

It's not goalque-script-easy, but I regularly LAN party without an external monitor, using my eGPU for Optimus, on my dGPU-equipped MBP. Details and process are in my build thread:

Also, OP: nice setup! I'm jealous of your Ti. 

• Thumbs Up 1