PROBLEM - Lenovo T430 / EXP GDC Beast/ GTX670 / Windows 10

dakuenjeru

Hello techinferno-team,

I decided to finally register on the site and in this forums as I have read a lot about eGPU implementations and actually tried to accomplish one by my self.
Those are my parts: 

Lenovo Thinkpad t430 with i5 3320M, 8GB DC RAM, 160GB SSD, Intel HD4000
EXP GDC BEAST, Expresscard
bequiet! 450 Watt PSU

Windows 10 64bit.

So far, so good - but it just won't work. Everytime I boot my Laptop up with eGPU connected, it loads the Windows 10 screen with the blue logo on it. After app. 2 minutes a little circle spins around, suggesting the PC is loading the OS. I waited to hours, the screen remained the same.

Then I tried booting Windows up, then instering the eGPU. That does not work either, as the card is not recognized.
I tried putting laptop to sleep, plugging eGPU in, then waking it from sleep. It just turns off.

I also tried powering the PSU of the eGPU on when the windows logo appears, but the card is not recognized and the fan of the GTX670 spins like crazy. First time this appeared I almost thought I bricked the card. :D

Then I tried another thing: I used the egpu with my old Thinkpad t500 on windows 7. I plugged it in, booted up, installed drivers, done. It works. So the eGPU components should work fine., I 

I am absolutely at loss here. What can I do to get this thing working? I have read like every article about eGPUs on T430 and on Windows10... But it just won't work.

I would very much appreciate your help in this case; furthermore I hope this is the right place to post this in. If not, I apologize - this is my first post. :)
I am not a native speaker, so if you do not understand something in my text feel free to ask, I will do my best.

Thank you so much!

daku

I tried every setting advised in the existing troubleshooting guides at least twice, none of them worked.

Two issues I can see with your configuration:

1) EXP GDC is not a Gen2 compliant adapter. Trying to operate at Gen2 will lead to stuttering/BSODs or other failures. I'd advise you downgrade your link to Gen1 using a BIOS option (if available) or Setup 1.30 software and do further testing.

2) EXP GDC does power management, only powering up the GPU upon detecting a signal. This creates a race condition where the eGPU isn't detected on hotplugging due to early assertion of CLKRUN/CLKREQ signals before the eGPU is powered. The workaround is to hardwire the PSU to be permanently on as described at https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8747-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

6 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Two issues I can see with your configuration:

1) EXP GDC is not a Gen2 compliant adapter. Trying to operate at Gen2 will lead to stuttering/BSODs or other failures. I'd advise you downgrade your link to Gen1 using a BIOS option (if available) or Setup 1.30 software and do further testing.

2) EXP GDC does power management, only powering up the GPU upon detecting a signal. This creates a race condition where the eGPU isn't detected on hotplugging due to early assertion of CLKRUN/CLKREQ signals before the eGPU is powered. The workaround is to hardwire the PSU to be permanently on as described at https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8747-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

@Tech Inferno Fan:

First of all, thank you for your reply.

1) In BIOS, there are two options: PCIspeed Generation1 or Automatic. I tried both, none of them worked.

2) I do not think that I do want to rewire my PSU. Plus, this doesn't solve the issue of the PC not booting, or does it?

I think the problem lies with windows 10.. as win7 works normally..

Edited by dakuenjeru
grammar

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.