eGPU Window 10 optimus mode problem

HakureiReimu

Anyone tested the new drivers of Nvidia and intel drivers for the HD's ?
Anyone tried windows 8.1 drivers under windows 10? Seems to fix optimus issues? (Unconfirmed)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I've been tried the new driver.

I recommend to use 350.12 version because optimus didn't work on newest driver.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been tried the new driver.

I recommend to use 350.12 version because optimus didn't work on newest driver.

Did you try 350.12 on win10?

I had to downgrade to 8.1 with the latest drivers and it's absolutely stable, but I wish to use win 10...

Hi i have an egpu on my dell, it works fine with a external monitor, using DIY EGPU Setup, will i be able to run my egpu on internal monitor? will work like optimus tecnologie?

My system:

Windows 10

Dell n5110

I7 2670

HD3000

GT525m

Egpu:

GTX 760TI

Hi i have an egpu on my dell, it works fine with a external monitor, using DIY EGPU Setup, will i be able to run my egpu on internal monitor? will work like optimus tecnologie?

My system:

Windows 10

Dell n5110

I7 2670

HD3000

GT525m

Egpu:

GTX 760TI

Setup 1.30 can engage a Gen2 link (if using a PE4C 3.0 or PE4L 2.1) and be used to disable your GT525M dGPU to allow Optimus to work. Do note that Win10 has an issue with Optimus requiring use of the Win8.1 driver 350.12 to work, or just use Win8.1 instead: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10563-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem.html

Hi,

Has someone tried the new drivers from yesterday: 358.87 from nvdia + New Intel HD4600 drivers?

They both will have WDM 2.0 drivers.

Maybe Nvidia Optimus is working meaning we could use the internal LCD like the way we do in win8.1

Anyone?

I am having the same exact issues with external eGPUs and optimus in Windows 10 (worked fine in 8.1); it even shows the optimus indicator at the bottom but 3D apps refuse to run on the eGPU. Stuff like my BOINC client, and GPU compute apps run fine though... Funny enough optimus works with the dGPU just fine.

Here is something I did to force it to kinda work for like 5 minutes before it bluescreened. I disabled the GTX660m (dGPU) in windows first restarted into Setup 1.3x then did the config normally. I believe my bluescreens are power related so you may want to ignore that as I'm making modifications to my loud power supply hehe

EDIT: oh I use an Asus G46VW

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Has someone tried the new drivers from yesterday: 358.87 from nvdia + New Intel HD4600 drivers?

They both will have WDM 2.0 drivers.

Maybe Nvidia Optimus is working meaning we could use the internal LCD like the way we do in win8.1

Anyone?

Eh I have those drivers, no go.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey.....

Anyone tested this again but with the new windows 10 updated?... the update released few days ago?

Maybe Nvidia Optimus is working with the new big update for windows 10.

No, it doesn't work... Windows 10 1551, Intel HD 4000 + GTX 670 with latest drivers. At least for <= 3rd gen Intel Core it seems to be driver related and Intel won't support it fully with Windows 10 (no WDDM 2.0 + unsigned driver).

Hello everyone,

I have a very big discovery about optimus on windows 10, by repeating the following sequence i get Black Ops 3 running with eGPU on internal screen with lastest driver 359.00:

change your windows 10 laptop power behavior. Control Panel - Power - Advance - Action - Closing laptop lid- Do nothing.

by doing this, avoid laptop go to sleep mode when you close the cover.

attach your egpu with external monitor, press WIN+P, choose "second monitor only".

Close your laptop lip, run Black Ops 3, wait until the game succefully launched, the game should be running by eGPU on external monitor at the moment.

Reopen your lip, the external monitor will automatically close and the game with be switched to internal monitor.

you will see that BO3 is rendered by eGPU on internal monitor, optimus enabled!

conclusion, the WDDM 2.0 nVidia driver can work with WDDM 1.3 HD4000 driver on optimus mode. just an annoying bug which was produced by nVidia.

• 2 weeks later...

hy, a few weeks ago I ask some questions and now i can tell that I bought everthing and in one week I will have all home. Currently I am running windows 10 at my laptop. So I read that optimus is not working with windows 10, is that true? I know that I have to use Setup 1.3 from Tech Inferno Fan, but I read that on windows 10 optimus is not working.

Laptop

Dell XPS L502X with I7 2630QM,

Intel HD 3000 and Nvidia GT 540M

sorry for bad english....

Thaks for answer in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried many things and couldn't make gtx 970 work with internal screen but as many people with same laptop reported is working on windows 8.1 I'm downgrading. If anyone finds a fix with windows 10 please post it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not at my system atm. Would somebody like to test if a modified NVidia Laptop driver enables the accelerated internal LCD with Win10?  No mention of anybody testing this as a workaround as yet. Many notebooks sold with the Optimus feature so it would make sense for MS and NVidia to ensure this feature is maintained in Win10.

Instructions to do this are below:

Modifying and Installing the NVidia Laptop drivers

Step 1: Modify the NVidia Laptop driver INF files as summarized from here

Assuming that the graphics card was detected when the drivers were installed, you are ready to proceed to the next step. Download the newest NVIDIA LAPTOP drivers that have the same architecture as your external graphics card (If you have a GTX 970, download GTX 970M). Generally speaking the newer cards all have the same bundled driver, and you can find them all on NVIDIA's Driver Downloads site.

Capture.PNG

Use a tool to extract the installer into a folder (I used WinRar). The result should look something like the picture below

?format=750w

Now there is a specific file that we are looking for called "nvami.inf". Basically the idea is that we're manually adding our desktop graphics card to the list of laptop cards. This is easily done by the addition of 3 lines of code after finding the Hardware ID of your card from Device Manager. 

In the device manager, navigate to the external card then go to Properties->Details (Tab) and under the "Property" drop down select "Hardware Ids". An example using the Quadro K620 is shown below. The 4 character alpha numeric string after "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_" is the important number; in this case it is "13BB". Time to add the code. 

?format=750w

You can use a text editor (such as notepad) to open the nvami.inf file inside the driver folder (just search for it). The result will be like below.

?format=750w

Navigate to the text "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]" and COPY "NVIDIA_DEV.XXXX= Section099, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_XXXX" replacing "XXXX" with your hardware ID below the text.

?format=1000w

Copy the exact same text under "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]" (it is just further down the list). Now navigate to the "[Strings]" section and COPY "NVIDIA_DEV.XXXX = "(Your card name)"" below the section. You must enclose the name in double quotations. Now save the text file.

Step 2: Install the modified driver

Uninstall any desktop drivers you may have installed.  Then disable driver signature enforcement [Win8 or newer] to allow modified driver installation. Do this by:

1. Hit the "Shift" key while clicking onto the "Restart" option.
  2. After the reboot choose the options "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced Options" > "Startup Settings" > "Restart".
  3. During the next reboot hit "F7" (= option "Disable driver signature enforcement").
  4. Once the OS is up, proceed to navigate to your modded driver directory and run the Setup executable. 
  5. Until the next reboot you can install as many unsigned or modded drivers as you want or need to.

On 1/1/2016 at 6:54 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

I'm not at my system atm. Would somebody like to test if a modified NVidia Laptop driver enables the accelerated internal LCD with Win10?  No mention of anybody testing this as a workaround as yet. Many notebooks sold with the Optimus feature so it would make sense for MS and NVidia to ensure this feature is maintained in Win10.

Instructions to do this are below:

Modifying and Installing the NVidia Laptop drivers

Would someone pls try the steps in my last post to see if modified NVidia laptop drivers enable Optimus under Win10?

I tried Nvidia's 361.43 notebook driver. A thing to take note is that the notebook driver and the desktop version of 361.43 have the same filesize and version number. I did not check the files contents to see if they are identical. All tests were done using internal LCD only.

Update: 361.43 drivers whether for desktop or notebook are exactly the same, same file size, same folder structure when extracted

Background:

I am currently on Nvidia 344.75 desktop driver on Windows 10, I find that any newer drivers gave me stuttery performance and flickering in Starcraft 2, WoW and Furmark. This has been happening even when I was on Windows 7, starting with drivers around 347.XX range (can't remember exactly which).

System Specs:

Thinkpad X220 Tablet

i5-2520m

16GB Ram

HD graphics 3000

Geforce GTX 560SE @ PE4L 2.1b running on internal LCD only (1366 x 768)

WIndows 10 64bit

Nvidia notebook driver test:

Unmodded

Surprisingly, the 361.43 notebook driver install without any problem unmodded. The flickering and stuttering only occur when I start a game in Starcraft 2. Tomb raider 2013 crashed while navigating in the main menu.

Modded (with Nando's instruction above)

Since it's a Windows 10 driver, some steps will differ such as "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]" will be "...NTamd64.10.0" instead. For this driver, Starcraft 2 starts flcikering and stuttering even in the main menu. This symptom is similar to some of the newer desktop driver I tried (35X.XX). Was not able to start a game due to the amount of flickering. Tomb Raider 2013 crashed as well. Thus, performance and stablity is worse than the unmodded driver.

In the end I reverted back to driver 344.75. Hope the above info helps anyone who is troubleshooting optimus problems on their systems.

Edited by panda

23 hours ago, panda said:

I tried Nvidia's 361.43 notebook driver. A thing to take note is that the notebook driver and the desktop version of 361.43 have the same filesize and version number. I did not check the files contents to see if they are identical. All tests were done using internal LCD only.

Update: 361.43 drivers whether for desktop or notebook are exactly the same, same file size, same folder structure when extracted

Background:

I am currently on Nvidia 344.75 desktop driver on Windows 10, I find that any newer drivers gave me stuttery performance and flickering in Starcraft 2, WoW and Furmark. This has been happening even when I was on Windows 7, starting with drivers around 347.XX range (can't remember exactly which).

System Specs:

Thinkpad X220 Tablet

i5-2520m

16GB Ram

HD graphics 3000

Geforce GTX 560SE @ PE4L 2.1b running on internal LCD only (1366 x 768)

WIndows 10 64bit

Nvidia notebook driver test:

Unmodded

Surprisingly, the 361.43 notebook driver install without any problem unmodded. The flickering and stuttering only occur when I start a game in Starcraft 2. Tomb raider 2013 crashed while navigating in the main menu.

Modded (with Nando's instruction above)

Since it's a Windows 10 driver, some steps will differ such as "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]" will be "...NTamd64.10.0" instead. For this driver, Starcraft 2 starts flcikering and stuttering even in the main menu. This symptom is similar to some of the newer desktop driver I tried (35X.XX). Was not able to start a game due to the amount of flickering. Tomb Raider 2013 crashed as well. Thus, performance and stablity is worse than the unmodded driver.

In the end I reverted back to driver 344.75. Hope the above info helps anyone who is troubleshooting optimus problems on their systems.

Hello panda

you wrote in your post, that you had W7. how did the upgrade to W10 work? did you have to make the 1.3 setup new?

im using w7 atm but i want to have W10 for some reasons. 

system:

mbp 15 retina iris + 750m

16gb ram

2.4 GHz i7

GTX 980 TI

screen: Acer Predator x34

regards

martin

ps: i dont need that optimus stuff. im not using the internal LCD

Edited by Akkarin

1 hour ago, Akkarin said:

you wrote in your post, that you had W7. how did the upgrade to W10 work? did you have to make the 1.3 setup new?

im using w7 atm but i want to have W10 for some reasons. 

I did not have to use Setup 1.3 on my Windows 7 system in the first place so I do not know how that will work. But for Windows 10 I did a clean install using the Media creation tool. Though I read that the in place upgrade feature works pretty well.

Just a update to my above report, I tried 361 drivers with an external LCD. To my surprise Starcraft 2 was flickering in the main menu as well, though much less than using the internal LCD. Tomb raider still crashes in the main menu.

At this point, I want to point out that perhaps there might be some issues (hardware or otherwise) with my setup and the above results might not be related to the optimus issues at all. However, all these problems certaintly did not happen with Windows 7 + older drivers.

Edited by panda

On 1/1/2016 at 1:54 PM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Many notebooks sold with the Optimus feature so it would make sense for MS and NVidia to ensure this feature is maintained in Win10.

Optimus indeed works on Windows 10 I have a new Dell XPS 15 9550 which utilizes it. I'll take a look at things to see if there is anything I can do to help on the driver INF front.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been tried 361.75 version that the driver can detect egpu when playing game on internal mode

As you see, I try GTA V. 

In setting menu,  It's appeared about 2047mb. That's my gtx 750ti video memory

in previous version, video memory only show up 1792 mb. It indicate egpu doesn't detected

I clean install this driver for avoiding system failure.

Good Luck

2016-01-29_00001.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
On 06/01/2016 at 5:44 PM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Would someone pls try the steps in my last post to see if modified NVidia laptop drivers enable Optimus under Win10?

It has no effect on 368.22.

I am testing with an old Geforce GT440 and it installs the drivers from nv_dispi.inf, not nvami.inf.

There is no need to modify nv_dispi.inf as it already contains the definitions for desktop cards.

I have also tried 350.12 on Windows 10 (mechwarrior online). It crashes with the following error:

YR6CrdY.png

The GPU activity window shows the game. With the latest drivers (368.22), it just goes back to the integrated graphics.

Edited by utopian201

On 04/11/2015 at 1:12 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Setup 1.30 can engage a Gen2 link (if using a PE4C 3.0 or PE4L 2.1) and be used to disable your GT525M dGPU to allow Optimus to work. Do note that Win10 has an issue with Optimus requiring use of the Win8.1 driver 350.12 to work, or just use Win8.1 instead: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10563-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem.html

This post is from last year. I have a similar situation with dGPU 570m and eGPU 750 (if all go as planned will be replaced by 970).

I have i7 second gen so no iGPU.

Is this still the way to go?

Should I purchase Setup 1.3, demote my dGPU and that way would Optimus work?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.