OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x-R2 Owners Lounge

Brian

I don't think it can. The problem with these numbers is that they are (IIRC the way Sandforce advertises) for basically completely compressible files (e.g. a file full of zeros). However, you can't really go wrong with Sata 3. They'll just work little slower but I bet you wouldn't even notice it. I think Intel 320 are very reliable so if I picked again I'd go for them... or the older Intel X25-M if the price is right. The access times, 4K reads and other stuff might be more relevant imho, because thats the main thing that distinguishes SSD from a mechanical HD.

I don't know much about Kingston, except from what I remember they don't use Sandforce chipset? I think Crucial M4, Samsung 470 and Intel 320 have pretty good reviews and in the US the price is inline with the other SSDs of other manufacturers, basically $200ish for 120GB, or $100 for 60GB. I know Kingston are dirty cheap nowadays but just be wary of the quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • Founder
Quick question... does anyone know whether the M17x r2 will boot without having an internal display connected to it?

It definitely won't.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

an R2 might not but i did it on an old dell laptop someone destroyed lcd too.. i disconnected all cables from broken lcd.. and connected a vga monitor and was able to access it from then on that way... but R2 probably wont boot... not sure how the laptop i worked on did. had to navigate bios lol blind at first

It definitely won't.

You're 100% sure about this? I just want know it without any doubt... I've got a nice offer for an r2 mobo... would be awesome for benching :D But if I need the display as well it probably won't be worth it.

If I remember correctly the display cable and connector of the r2 is just behind the keyboard / touchpanel... unless Brian is 100% sure about this, could someone do me a favour and check if it boots without the display/webcam/microphone cables attached? Just to make sure... (@StamatisX @DR650SE or whoever has an r2). Would be great...

• Thumbs Up 1

i am not certain myself but i did it succesful on an old dell laptop i had fully removed all internal lcd cables and before turning it one i connected the vga connector... and somehow managed to blindly enable the vga as primary display all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I think I've once accidentally didn't properly connect the display in a Dell laptop after a repaste, and it did boot... but would be great to know for sure. It's not necessarily the same for each system, I know that the M15x won't boot if one or both fans aren't connected (as an example). Other systems boot, even without the fan connected.

Would be awesome if it worked with an external but no internal display connected, then I'll probably set up a nice zombie bench system.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I think I've once accidentally didn't properly connect the display in a Dell laptop after a repaste, and it did boot... but would be great to know for sure. It's not necessarily the same for each system, I know that the M15x won't boot if one or both fans aren't connected (as an example). Other systems boot, even without the fan connected.

Would be awesome if it worked with an external but no internal display connected, then I'll probably set up a nice zombie bench system.

you could use full desktop pot for that and getting uber temps!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • Founder

I have 12.1 drivers installed right now and I wanted to OC my cards using Sapphire TRIXX v4.1.0 . Unfortunatelly the GPU voltage couldn't be changed. Last time I checked with the 11.7 drivers everything was working fine. Do you guys experience the same problem?

I have 12.1 drivers installed right now and I wanted to OC my cards using Sapphire TRIXX v4.1.0 . Unfortunatelly the GPU voltage couldn't be changed. Last time I checked with the 11.7 drivers everything was working fine. Do you guys experience the same problem?

guess i never used it when it worked for e it never did and thats why i used vbios with RBE

• 4 months later...

I've been hiding under a rock for awhile... and finally get around to playing an actual game on this M17X R2 after a year of running only 3D modelling software and Game engine editors. I realized I still had the beta vbios and beta 8.763 drivers ... Everything works in 3DS Max 2012, and with all programs I am running atm. Skyrim is a different story but that is irrelevant. I know I don't have to flash the vbios but going from the old Dell driver to a newer version is now a bit confusing.

Old method: Remove old drivers, boot into Safemode run driver sweeper and cc cleaner to get registry stragglers, reboot re-install new drivers...

I have been doing searches and tons of reading and it seems that this method is not what others recommend now. I have seen many people say to install over top of the Dell driver 8.763. Do-wah?

I thought this was a big no no. Can someone give me a clue why this is recommended and what step I should take at this point. I am assuming that reference drivers now work for us.. yay.. and the only one I found on AMD site easily is 12.4. That is a big jump from what I have. Also the CCC I have is quite old too but I am wary of installing that along with the drivers. *Sigh* My beautiful R2 is already becoming a dinosaur. :P

Thx in advance

*EDIT*

Oh and I forgot to ask if there was any significant improvement with the A10 BIOS? My A09 version still works like a charm for me. The unplugged not charging issue popped up once in the past year. So other than that issue, is it worth a flash or no?

Edited by infernia

I always uninstall the current drivers, reboot, then CCleaner for some leftovers in the registry (though I don't think it's really necessary) and then install the new ones. I never used driver sweeper, I realized that the AMD drivers uninstall pretty fine. I always uninstall all AMD software (this means including the installer), I think it's the easiest way.

Of course this doesn't mean it's the perfect or best way, but doing it like this works fine for me.

Regarding the BIOS... I'm not sure, don't have an R2, but speaking for myself I always update to the latest version. Dell doesn't update it for no reason. If you don't like it you can still revert to A09.

• 1 month later...
You're 100% sure about this? I just want know it without any doubt... I've got a nice offer for an r2 mobo... would be awesome for benching :D But if I need the display as well it probably won't be worth it.

If I remember correctly the display cable and connector of the r2 is just behind the keyboard / touchpanel... unless Brian is 100% sure about this, could someone do me a favour and check if it boots without the display/webcam/microphone cables attached? Just to make sure... (@StamatisX @DR650SE or whoever has an r2). Would be great...

excluding the bare essentials, my m17x r2 mobo won't boot without a display or a keyboard. i tried to do a quick test before putting my new replacement mobo into the chasis.

• 2 months later...
excluding the bare essentials, my m17x r2 mobo won't boot without a display or a keyboard. i tried to do a quick test before putting my new replacement mobo into the chasis.

Cool I think when i had mine open you can substitute the regualr keyboard for a usb and it should still boot. But yes display and power button off touch panel are the minimum

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Hello! I have the latest wi-fi driver for Windows 7 64 bits.

It is: Wireless LAN_Broadcom_5.100.82.135_W7x64_A (from driver agent).

Have you found other for Windows 8 64 bits? Thanks!

Edit: I have the Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card

I think that I have found it but I'm not sure.

File: Wireless LAN_Broadcom_6.30.59.20_W8x64UW8x86U_A

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3920

• 1 month later...

Not that I'm aware of. It requires SLi certification for the cards in the motherboard's BIOS and as far as I know no ones managed to get around it, even with the workaround that was used get the 580M's to work in SLi.

@[email protected] Did you manage to get your BIOS flashed with the method I linked to?