OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x-R2 Owners Lounge

Brian

Okay we now know a bunch of what it isn't. Could you post your complete configuration of your system, what hardware you have and windows version...

*You may be right, you may just have to re-seat your bluetooth card and wires especially if you had the system open maybe it came lose or got caught on something.

Edited by mw86

OK I know what my problem is but I need to put a disclaimer before I get spammed but figure this is a more mature forum so please take what I say into consideration before judging:

Disclaimer: I am a mature owner and gamer. I have paid for every game I own on both consoles and PC. I am even more for paying for PC games because piracy is the reason devs have jumped ship to consoles and basically bastardized the PC gaming community with crap ports. HOWEVER I have been guilty of getting SOME music and programs off torrent sites.

A specific microsoft product is known to DISABLE automatic updating of my PC as a consequent of downloading the product. With that, how do I re-enable automatic updating as it IS enabled?

There is a "microsoft fix-it" that may resolve your issue as I got that error long ago on a system and it renabled all the stuff involved in auto-updates. Google it if you don't come up with it, I'll try to find it for you but try looking that error code up on google with "fix" and "windows update" also in the search.

• Thumbs Up 3

well i didn't open the system recently but the bluetooth stopped working after trying to install some driver for ps3 controller... anyways, here is my system specs :

Alienware M17x-R2: i7-920XM | 1920x1200 RGB LED | ATi 5870m Crossfire | 8 GB DDR 3 1333mhz | 8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive,QuickSilver | Intel Wifi 6300 | 1 TB Raid0 Seagate HDD windows 7 home premium

Hmm, not sure whats going on, but in the last few days I've had two BSODs. Thats with the CPU Vcore at +75mv. If it persists, I may try and just get a replacement. At this point I've had two GPU replacements, a mobo replacement, and the touch strip/ribbon replaced. I'm also too lazy to trouble shoot it. Maybe I'll try for a credit towards the M18x, but I'd hate to see the RGB/19x12 go :( Those are two things i'm attached to. Maybe I'll just wait for the R2 to become unavailable in the outlet before I go that route :P

BSOD was right after coming out of Unreal Tournament 3. I was just running it real quick to get an idea of GPU temps, since I've noticed CPU temps have been up since the weather has warmed up which I expected, but in the few min I played, HWInfo32 reported a max of 87*C on the CPU. May have to eventually turn on the A/C :P

Whats the ETA on the M18x anyway?

Edited by DR650SE

That's not good DR650SE. Don't take too long with complaining to Dell I think now is the time especially when they won't know what to do when you want something comparable to the R2 and they don't have anything yet. You know the Cpu could be deteriorating... If it's one you've used for the dice runs... over time normal overclocks can start to require well above the normal voltage to stay stable.

Hmm. I may call soon. Just ran WEI for the heck of it and it hosed my display drivers and now upon boot its giving me a bsod "registry error" without a few sec of the desktop. I can re image and that would probably fix it. Problem is its on my 940 and i bought with a 520m. Still May push it though. I think the 940 is good though. Just needs extra voltage if I use TS.

Thanks Brian, May be calling mid May :P

Edited by DR650SE

what happened?

Hey Stam, if you were asking DR650SE, he's been having consistent BSOD's. If you were asking me a schedules repair for my R2 turned into it's demise as the first Tech mangled my system. As is it freezes under a minute onto the desktop. I wanted to get so many more benches in. Now I've been lurking around the corners of T|I.

I have a case number and an agreed new order for the M18x at it's release, and a return and credit to my account of the R2 after my particular M18x hit production they will send return labels.

• Founder

I would recommend taking the conversation regarding the Windows update to PM as it's treading very close to prohibited topics on T|I. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I've noticed that drivers on the dell website are pretty old.

I'm going to to download the newest I find in internet but don't know what to do with gpu driver and vbios. Should I first install vbios (which one?) and then drivers (for example 11.8)?

It's my first CF system so sorry for maybe a stupid question.

• 3 weeks later...

No get a Sata 3 SSD. Sata 2 ones max out at around 285Mb/s read/write whereas some Sata 3 SSD's go over 550Mb/s. The old Kingstons aren't good choices either. If it is your first SSD, I recommend the M4 or Intel 510 drives. Dunno if this is the case with the M18x but in the M17x R3 port1 is better as port0 fluctuates between Sata 2 and 3. but which ever one you choose, go into your bios and sett Sata operation to AHCI.

Can my M17x R2 support Sata 3 SSD?

And actually I'm looking for a cheap and affordable SSD, any recommendations beside those expensive ones?

And one more thing, so it is okay to put the SSD in any slot, whether slot 0 or slot 1?

Thanks in advance.:)