rMBP 15'' 2014 with gt750m doesn't works both in OS10.10&Win8.1

jackfsqyj

Hi everyone, I just bought my new 2014 rMBP during Black Friday and now have many problems with eGPU setting.

I've already set the eGPU for my macbook air 2014 and it works pretty perfect.

Here's my specs:

i7 2.5GHz

512g SSD

Iris pro +gt 750m

GTX970 msi gaming 4g

I first upgraded my Mac OS to 10.11 so that I think I might use the new bootcamp assistant (without flash disk) to install windows;however, it still asks me to use a flash disk for installation. So I had to follow the instruction to use USB disk to install Windows 10, ending with "failure configuring windows updates" and then I go back to mac to remove the windows partition and install windows 8.1 instead. However, the installation still failed, and what's more when I boot into Mac OS there's a banner and that might mean my Mac OS is also broken. So I restore the whole computer and manually use EFI to install windows 8.1 without. But after installing bootcamp drivers, I can only use dGPU in windows (which is also reported by many other users). In order to enable iris, I installed rEFInd and load Apple_OS_set. And I installed Nvdia drivers for GTX970, but every time I plug the thunderbolt to MBP in rEFInd interface or that option select system interface, it just freezes and I can't get into any OS(But in the option one, I can't still use mouse to choose wireless); if I plugin the thunderbolt (and power up gtx 970)before I power up the macbook, it doesn't show up anything and can't hear the booting sound. I succeeded in booting into windows twice, the first time is that I get into windows with a BSOD and automatically restart; and it magically go into windows with perfect gaming performance( I test GTA V); another time is that I pluged the thunderbolt during the rEFInd interface and it didn't freeze so I also get into the system with perfect gaming performance. So I suppose the driver works good and the only issue is that I have to figure out a stable procedure to power up.

My Question is:

1.Why can't I install windows thru bootcamp without flash disk? And why can't I install windows even with flash disk?

2.Is there anyway to make iris pro available in windows?

3.What should I do to make the eGPU works?

4. Is there any different to use EFI and bootcamp to install windows ? Is that possible to install iris driver before I install bootcamp driver so that I can enable iris?

I am considering using apple_set_OS and disable gt750m in windows just like the implementation guide of that 2015 rMBP with R9. But I am afraid that if I disable gt750m and it still couldn't recognize iris pro, I have to reinstall the whole system.

1. You need another disk because you have to boot the computer via USB. Either connect another disk or a USB drive. The reason you need bootcamp is that it will install drivers into windows files. So after setup you don't have to install any drivers.

2. Read fourth reply.

3. --

4. refer to second answer.

2. Yes. Device Manager>Display Drivers>Disable GT750M. It will use Iris Pro. Bootcamp will also download and install Iris Pro's drivers.

Are you really sure about this? The GT 750M Macbook variants disable the Iris Pro upon booting Windows and therefore the Iris Pro is not visible and no driver is installable. People with GT 750M Macbooks aren't having issues with internal display use together with their eGPU for no reason. If it was that easy they'd be doing this.

• 2 weeks later...
On December 2, 2015 at 1:33 PM, jackfsqyj said:

Hi everyone, I just bought my new 2014 rMBP during Black Friday and now have many problems with eGPU setting.

I've already set the eGPU for my macbook air 2014 and it works pretty perfect.

Here's my specs:

i7 2.5GHz

512g SSD

Iris pro +gt 750m

GTX970 msi gaming 4g

I first upgraded my Mac OS to 10.11 so that I think I might use the new bootcamp assistant (without flash disk) to install windows;however, it still asks me to use a flash disk for installation. So I had to follow the instruction to use USB disk to install Windows 10, ending with "failure configuring windows updates" and then I go back to mac to remove the windows partition and install windows 8.1 instead. However, the installation still failed, and what's more when I boot into Mac OS there's a banner and that might mean my Mac OS is also broken. So I restore the whole computer and manually use EFI to install windows 8.1 without. But after installing bootcamp drivers, I can only use dGPU in windows (which is also reported by many other users). In order to enable iris, I installed rEFInd and load Apple_OS_set. And I installed Nvdia drivers for GTX970, but every time I plug the thunderbolt to MBP in rEFInd interface or that option select system interface, it just freezes and I can't get into any OS(But in the option one, I can't still use mouse to choose wireless); if I plugin the thunderbolt (and power up gtx 970)before I power up the macbook, it doesn't show up anything and can't hear the booting sound. I succeeded in booting into windows twice, the first time is that I get into windows with a BSOD and automatically restart; and it magically go into windows with perfect gaming performance( I test GTA V); another time is that I pluged the thunderbolt during the rEFInd interface and it didn't freeze so I also get into the system with perfect gaming performance. So I suppose the driver works good and the only issue is that I have to figure out a stable procedure to power up.

My Question is:

1.Why can't I install windows thru bootcamp without flash disk? And why can't I install windows even with flash disk?

2.Is there anyway to make iris pro available in windows?

3.What should I do to make the eGPU works?

4. Is there any different to use EFI and bootcamp to install windows ? Is that possible to install iris driver before I install bootcamp driver so that I can enable iris?

I am considering using apple_set_OS and disable gt750m in windows just like the implementation guide of that 2015 rMBP with R9. But I am afraid that if I disable gt750m and it still couldn't recognize iris pro, I have to reinstall the whole system.

On December 6, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Morv said:

Are you really sure about this? The GT 750M Macbook variants disable the Iris Pro upon booting Windows and therefore the Iris Pro is not visible and no driver is installable. People with GT 750M Macbooks aren't having issues with internal display use together with their eGPU for no reason. If it was that easy they'd be doing this.

I just found an actual solution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/354vw8/howto_enabling_the_intel_iris_in_bootcamp_650m750m/

It works, here is a screenshot from my device http://i.hizliresim.com/yoaA80.png The thing is, you have to flash the EFI everytime you boot via rEFInd. And I'm having some issues with resolution, but I guess it's manageable with Intel app.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, TYRTlive said:

I just found an actual solution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/354vw8/howto_enabling_the_intel_iris_in_bootcamp_650m750m/

It works, here is a screenshot from my device http://i.hizliresim.com/yoaA80.png The thing is, you have to flash the EFI everytime you boot via rEFInd. And I'm having some issues with resolution, but I guess it's managable with Intel app.

Interesting! Does this also enable using the internal display with an eGPU after disabling the 650m/750m? in the system manager?

3 hours ago, bourbon said:

Interesting! Does this also enable using the internal display with an eGPU after disabling the 650m/750m? in the system manager?

I'm not certain how to check the setting you said. If you can be a little more specific, I'll definitely check! But let me explain the display situation in another way:

So if I close GT750m, Iris Pro works on its own. If I open GT750m, I can use it with Nvidia Optimus driver. Theoretically if we plug an external GPU using Thunderbolt, we must be able to use it with Iris Pro+Nvidia Optimus usig internel monitor... Unfortunately I can't test this, because currently I don't have the hardware needed.