[POLL] 2016 and Beyond: What do YOU want?

You guys did a great job P870DM, especially completely removing the ODD Bay! Props to that. (ODD is a waste of internal laptop real estate. Especially in 2015 and on-wards)..

Actually, it's only mostly gamers/personal users who feel that way. Many users who use these things for work need ODD bays.

While I don't actually believe that it's necessary for machines like this, there are people (like Prema) who would use them for productivity (hence his want of the 4K screen), out in the field/at various locations/etc that could definitely use an ODD bay. I just felt like I should make that bit clear. My ODD bay has come in handy at times too, honestly. Though that's just because my country is backwards.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should make the ODD bay more modular then. I guess you can swap it for an extra hard drive or SSD, but would be nice if they added other options too like card reader or some PCIe adapter cards.

But personally I'm glad to see it gone too. ODD drives and media, even in most work places that would use such a machine, are not that common from what I've seen. Best to use it for cooling. Hoping M.2 drives become more robust, and run much cooler so we can do away with 2.5" bays and keep slimming the form factor and/or more room for cooling or other neat new features.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should make the ODD bay more modular then. I guess you can swap it for an extra hard drive or SSD, but would be nice if they added other options too like card reader or some PCIe adapter cards.

But personally I'm glad to see it gone too. ODD drives and media, even in most work places that would use such a machine, are not that common from what I've seen. Best to use it for cooling. Hoping M.2 drives become more robust, and run much cooler so we can do away with 2.5" bays and keep slimming the form factor and/or more room for cooling or other neat new features.

I don't want to see 2.5" gone. At least one 2.5" drive in all machines. Until SSDs become as cheap as HDDs, as reliable as HDDs, and as long-lasting as HDDs (MLC-or-better SSDs) and as cool as HDDs.

We're also still at 512GB max M.2 drive size, even though mSATA was at 1TB (840/850 EVO), and nothing replaces some reliable, cheap, large storage.

I don't want to see 2.5" gone. At least one 2.5" drive in all machines. Until SSDs become as cheap as HDDs, as reliable as HDDs, and as long-lasting as HDDs (MLC-or-better SSDs) and as cool as HDDs.

We're also still at 512GB max M.2 drive size, even though mSATA was at 1TB (840/850 EVO), and nothing replaces some reliable, cheap, large storage.

This is true. I guess with thin and lights, just M.2 or mSATA is OK, but hard drives are a necessity especially with these larger laptops.

Actually, it's only mostly gamers/personal users who feel that way. Many users who use these things for work need ODD bays.

While I don't actually believe that it's necessary for machines like this, there are people (like Prema) who would use them for productivity (hence his want of the 4K screen), out in the field/at various locations/etc that could definitely use an ODD bay. I just felt like I should make that bit clear. My ODD bay has come in handy at times too, honestly. Though that's just because my country is backwards.

Most of your laptop's components are in use 99% of the time your laptop is being used (except ODD).. That means CPU GPU RAM HDD/SSD/WiFI Motherboard ETC. almost 4 years ago I went for clevo without internal ODD. I opted in for HDD Caddy instead. And I wasn't wrong. I bought an extrenal USB BD burner(just in case I ever need to use a CD/DVD/BD - Its collecting dust now).. I used it only 2 times in 4 years.. That was also for some minor need. Of course I am not the only thing relevant here nor only what i want matters. Point is that ODD use is very limited in some cases none compared to other components of the laptop. You still have USB ports and External ODD's to record your stuff if you still need to use cd/dvd/bd.

That said, laptops internal compartmental space is very crucial. You do not want it to be super clunky and at the same time perform the very best. While maintaining a thin form factor or using that space for extra cooling elements makes more sense than making a really ugly ass bulky laptop.

That's just my opinion.. But I am pretty sure many agree. Although I wont be going for P870DM /G.. I was really glad to see it gone.

P.S Having an external ODD drive makes more sense.. Lets say you want to ever use it on more than 1 of your clevo's/ultrabooks/windows tablets you can just plug and play instead of 2 useless drives sitting internally.. Does it make sense?

Most of your laptop's components are in use 99% of the time your laptop is being used (except ODD).. That means CPU GPU RAM HDD/SSD/WiFI Motherboard ETC. almost 4 years ago I went for clevo without internal ODD. I opted in for HDD Caddy instead. And I wasn't wrong. I bought an extrenal USB BD burner(just in case I ever need to use a CD/DVD/BD - Its collecting dust now).. I used it only 2 times in 4 years.. That was also for some minor need. Of course I am not the only thing relevant here nor only what i want matters. Point is that ODD use is very limited in some cases none compared to other components of the laptop. You still have USB ports and External ODD's to record your stuff if you still need to use cd/dvd/bd.

That said, laptops internal compartmental space is very crucial. You do not want it to be super clunky and at the same time perform the very best. While maintaining a thin form factor or using that space for extra cooling elements makes more sense than making a really ugly ass bulky laptop.

That's just my opinion.. But I am pretty sure many agree. Although I wont be going for P870DM /G.. I was really glad to see it gone.

P.S Having an external ODD drive makes more sense.. Lets say you want to ever use it on more than 1 of your clevo's/ultrabooks/windows tablets you can just plug and play instead of 2 useless drives sitting internally.. Does it make sense?

Again, this is from a single user/gamer perspective. There's a lot of businesses that use the powerful machines like the P870DM's class on site locations and such. For them, an ODD is a great boon, as enterprise is slow to adopt change due to the amount of things needing to be changed. It is what it is.

I don't mind it being gone from these gaming machines, but it would be nice to see a powerful model, a more professional-themed one, that kept it in with a slightly different design. Say, one ODD + one HDD instead of two HDD, and the ODD is swappable for HDD and runs at SATA III speeds. That'd be a decent model for the business-oriented users that find the optical drives invaluable.

Again, this is from a single user/gamer perspective. There's a lot of businesses that use the powerful machines like the P870DM's class on site locations and such. For them, an ODD is a great boon, as enterprise is slow to adopt change due to the amount of things needing to be changed. It is what it is.

I don't mind it being gone from these gaming machines, but it would be nice to see a powerful model, a more professional-themed one, that kept it in with a slightly different design. Say, one ODD + one HDD instead of two HDD, and the ODD is swappable for HDD and runs at SATA III speeds. That'd be a decent model for the business-oriented users that find the optical drives invaluable.

Well you may be right about that.. However P870DM is built for gaming market.. There are other models being offered for those purposes.. I don't see anyone carrying a heavy machine like P870DM to site locations.. Things you talk about are not the things that occur frequently!

It would be nice to have a 120/144hz display at 1440p that could slide out of the display frame a bit like how the battery is removable and have about 2/3 a metre of cable so you could have it raised on a stand so it was at eye level, That way you would still have a great screen while on the move but if you were setting up at a desk you could position the screen in a good spot as well as the keyboard.

Edit: Also thunderbolt connector so you could add http://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder2-pcie-box or some other way too easily add external pcie graphics cards that are in some kind of dock format

It would be nice to have a 120/144hz display at 1440p that could slide out of the display frame a bit like how the battery is removable and have about 2/3 a metre of cable so you could have it raised on a stand so it was at eye level, That way you would still have a great screen while on the move but if you were setting up at a desk you could position the screen in a good spot as well as the keyboard.

Edit: Also thunderbolt connector so you could add AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box | PCI Express Expansion Box with Thunderbolt 2 Interface | AKiTiO or some other way too easily add external pcie graphics cards that are in some kind of dock format

Thunderbolt 3 ports are already being employed in current Clevo models, Clevo P870DM-G has it and upcoming P775DM Has it too.. I am not sure about older models, but I've read of some of them having it. As for the Display Positioning.. maybe get a Cooler beneath? Its hard to implement such sort of thing. Anything higher than 1080P should be good. Especially with Gsync.

The idea was more so that you could disconnect the screen from the frame and have the laptop right in front of you but put the screen somewhere else. It would be hard to design but would make the screen a lot easier to replace, it might be possible to fit a cable along the bottom bezel of a display and run it back and fourth of the length a few times and then you can disconnect it similar to the battery. They could use a proprietary cable that carries both power and signal rather than 2.

• 3 weeks later...

After visiting with our friends at Eurocom about their quest to drive the future of computing technology, I decided to pose the question to the community to brainstorm as many ideas as possible.

I could not identify a perfect sub-forum for it, so I chose this one. It is not for one company, but all of them. Hopefully, they will be paying attention. I know that the Eurocom Team will be, and hopefully at least a couple of others that care enough to be disruptive.

As the thread title suggests, this thread is not a place to list out the features that you want in a notebook/laptop if those are available already. Rather, it's a twist on your typical wish list and poses the question about what we want to see that is not available.

In other words, no need to mention 4K. That's already here and starting to become popular. No need to mention an eGPU contraption. We already have a couple of those available. No need to mention thin and light... we already have a plethora of options like that.

What do you want that IS NOT available?

Yes, WILD and CRAZY ideas and concepts more than features are what we want here.

Let imagination be your guide and assume all things are possible in the future.

• Dare to hate the status quo.
  • Innovation and the future go together.
  • Innovation is capability to create the future.​

The only stupid ideas are those you keep to yourself. After posting your ideas here, see if the company you do business with has a suggestion box email, and use it. Point them here as well. If they not, or even if they do, feel free to use the email suggestion box that Eurocom has made available: [email protected] if you would like to.

The more ideas we share, the brighter the future can be.

To set an example, I will go first...

- - - Updated - - -

First, I want:

• X99 laptop with 5960X CPU
  • Delid from the OEM/Reseller
  • Three-way SLI
  • 1KW AC adapter
  • Internal liquid cooling for CPU and GPU (please, no desk-bound colostomy bag for the GPU a la ASUS)
  • No more plastic laptop bodies... metal, metal and more metal in the chassis

Second, I want AMD to make a comeback and kill the monopoly that NVIDIA and Intel have on the industry.

Third, I want a real, full-fledged, fully functional OS replacement for Micro$oft Windows. Since they have lost their way and are trying to do a one-size fits all OS loaded with spyware, the Redmond Mafia is no longer adding value to being a PC owner. I want a new OS that can run anything made for Windows; not a half-baked Linux that only does some things well... and not something from Apple. Something fitting for the hardware mentioned under my first want.

I want top performance, but still need some portability and battery life. The reason why I got a 980m for my p150em instead of a p750-dm was because of the terrible battery life compared to the em. If it was possible to turn off the dgpu on the dm series, I would have a p750dm right now.

Also yes metal chassis. A little extra weight is fine as long as it fits in my backpack.

I want something thin as a macbook air, display that has no borders like the one in dell xps 13 (2015), a core i7-cpu and a discrete nvidia graphics preferably something like the gtx 970m, a super fast pcie SSD and a 4k display 15inch screen size. Exterior should be all metal, and should have wireless charging. I would also like a finger print scanner integrated into the track pad, it would be really useful when making purchases online.

• 2 weeks later...

A gaming laptop with replaceable GPUs! As the thermal needs continue to stagnate(This year's alienware 15 is smaller than the last year's one - smaller transistors run less hot), I can see why a more modular structure would be the nicest thing ever. Take your laptop to the nearest service center, get a GPU upgrade and done - New laptop!

I'd like to see MXM in a 13/14" form factor (I don't much bother about having LGA CPUs, since the socket is too big). Perhaps a P740DM. 

If possible, a mini-MXM. I've already had to replace 3 motherboards on my W230SS because the GPU failed and I had to pay for one of them ($330 - a giant pain in the back end). Why not just make all GTX-series GPUs MXM, with varying card sizes for different cards with different TDPs?

I've personally felt the annoyance that BGA GPUs give, and I would much rather send my laptop into the service centre, throw in a new GPU and out with a fresh, new one. 

Finally - more metal. 

• Guest pinned this topic
On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎02 at 2:18 PM, Mr. Fox said:

After visiting with our friends at Eurocom about their quest to drive the future of computing technology, I decided to pose the question to the community to brainstorm as many ideas as possible.

I could not identify a perfect sub-forum for it, so I chose this one. It is not for one company, but all of them. Hopefully, they will be paying attention. I know that the Eurocom Team will be, and hopefully at least a couple of others that care enough to be disruptive.

As the thread title suggests, this thread is not a place to list out the features that you want in a notebook/laptop if those are available already. Rather, it's a twist on your typical wish list and poses the question about what we want to see that is not available.

In other words, no need to mention 4K. That's already here and starting to become popular. No need to mention an eGPU contraption. We already have a couple of those available. No need to mention thin and light... we already have a plethora of options like that.

What do you want that IS NOT available?

Yes, WILD and CRAZY ideas and concepts more than features are what we want here.

Let imagination be your guide and assume all things are possible in the future.

• Dare to hate the status quo.
  • Innovation and the future go together.
  • Innovation is capability to create the future.

The only stupid ideas are those you keep to yourself. After posting your ideas here, see if the company you do business with has a suggestion box email, and use it. Point them here as well. If they not, or even if they do, feel free to use the email suggestion box that Eurocom has made available: [email protected] if you would like to.

The more ideas we share, the brighter the future can be.

To set an example, I will go first...

- - - Updated - - -

First, I want:

• X99 laptop with 5960X CPU
  • Delid from the OEM/Reseller
  • Three-way SLI
  • 1KW AC adapter
  • Internal liquid cooling for CPU and GPU (please, no desk-bound colostomy bag for the GPU a la ASUS)
  • No more plastic laptop bodies... metal, metal and more metal in the chassis

Second, I want AMD to make a comeback and kill the monopoly that NVIDIA and Intel have on the industry.

Third, I want a real, full-fledged, fully functional OS replacement for Micro$oft Windows. Since they have lost their way and are trying to do a one-size fits all OS loaded with spyware, the Redmond Mafia is no longer adding value to being a PC owner. I want a new OS that can run anything made for Windows; not a half-baked Linux that only does some things well... and not something from Apple. Something fitting for the hardware mentioned under my first want.

just would to see motherboard with suply and data bus ring which can be connected via interchangeable expansion ports everything from every side. It would not need adapters or 1KW power supplies. For christmas please. ;) 

I just want non soldered components on laptops so we can do some serious upgrade over time, instead of having to dispose them once our processor dies with the whole mother board due to excesive pricing.

Pretty sure this has been mentioned before but it'd be neat to see dual bios or bios chip sockets. This will offer protection when flashing bios and make bios modder's lives easier. 

Also more panel options in general for all the companies out there. I'm sure this will be available later but Eurocom doesn't offer the 4K 17" panel on the P770DM (Sky X6) only on the P870dm and the new P775dm. 

Now for the more crazier ideas... extendable feet! Lol. So not so crazy but it would nice if I didn't have to carry erasers or bottle caps with me everywhere just to prop up the laptop for better airflow. And being extendable/retractable would make sure it wont have parts sticking out of the chassis and can fit inside bags. Also it should be sturdy to fully support the weight of the machine and forceful typing. 

smaller screen bezel\frame (just look at how nice the new dell xps 15 & 13 are)

go crazy:

21:9 laptop? and tailor a backpack that can hold it lol

24" 22" 21" 20" laptops?

three or four way sli, desktop variant gpus, or perhaps create a special blend gpu: consider going dual gpu on a single graphic card: just like geforce 690 was (or amd's new fury x2):

Why not desktop variant of geforce 980, in a dual gpu format (essentially twice the memory, two gpu cores, and slightly less than 200% the physical size)... now put two of this in SLI in a 20" thin bezel laptop that is essentially no bigger than 18" laptop and oh yeah...

thunder bolt 3 that uses usb type c port * 8 (and no regular size usb\ethernet\vga\hdmi... just this type of port)

ditch the optical drives

ditch the 2.5" drives

nvme m.2 ssd only, raid supporting

go nutz:

slide door mechanism for.... two screens (imagine 2*20" yummy)

screen that can be height adjusted ..... that neck pain is baaaaaaaaad

make the computer out of high grade copper, entire thing is heat conductive, if we wanted it not to be heavy we wouldn't have bought your product anyways, we don't care for weight (as long as you keep it under 15kg lol)

gsync, 144hz ah-ips (or newer format of ips)

maybe the entire gpu section can be on the screen (behind the display panel) instead of in the keyboard, this way fans can intake from bottom and push up, and distance from cpu = superior temp management

how about actual desktop computer instead of a laptop?: actual desktop motherboard, actual desktop gpu, uses normal PCIe 3.0 X16 connector (perhaps with adapter) for gpu, and your heatsink

step farther:

What if the gpu is normal full size desktop gpu, sits behind the display panel, the back plate of the laptop is massive copper heatsink, no blower fans, just plain fans that pulls air from behind the monitor onto the gpu, no need to "choke" under the laptop, or anything, really seems most reasonable.

which totally opens the space up for four gpus to be connected....

Also: why laptop ram?

Go bananas:

get some qualcomm soc embedded in the motherboard, and have two different power buttons on the laptop, one leads to normal pc other leads to the soc, a smartphone's soc+ laptop's format and battery equals what.... 5 days of work time if all you need is the most basics of computer functions? could be awesome.

If you did all of the above, (went for a micro atx form motherboard, but instead of box shape went with a wide rectangle) gpus are behind the screen, no optical or 2.5" drives, just m.2 ssds, then in theory there's now excessive free space in the laptop.... counter that with physical keyboard, that plus a screen that can be height adjusted and you got a real winner, esp if you managed to shove 20" to 18" size due to reduced bezel, this will essentially be the ultimate laptop (and totally kill msi's gt80 since .. bigger screen but same size laptop, far faster hardware)

Also... a military grade rugged ~1500wat PSU will be probably required here (because this laptop will be able to handle extreme edition x99 cpu and four way sli of geforce 980ti.... so yeah)

• Thumbs Up 1

For those that haven't already noticed, Eurocom has a "Poll of the Week" feature on their web page. Regardless of what brand is your favorite, or who you prefer to buy from, Eurocom has a direct line of communication with Clevo. So, let your voices be heard. The poll this week is especially important.

Poll.JPG

On 12/26/2015 at 5:36 PM, Brian said:

"I have no idea what this means" :)

Yes, that's a funny one. Not as sad as the option immediately above it. Being ignorant can be fixed fairly easy, but being stupid (letting the manufacturer decide what is best) is incurable. :) 

On 28/12/2015 at 9:56 PM, Mr. Fox said:
letting the manufacturer decide what is best

Well, most people say that because they have no idea what they ought to do in a BIOS, do they? So it's still a case of innocent ignorance rather than stupidity.

Once again, if@Prema hasn't seen this: I want MXM GPUs in 13/14" laptops. Clevo already put a GTX 970M in a 14" notebook (P640RE), they might as well go one step further and make it MXM. This is one niche that Clevo hasn't filled, and potentially has a decent market, like all the disillusioned Razer Blade users as well as frustrated W230Sx and AW13 users. I honestly don't mind if 0.5-1cm thickness and 0.5kg mass was added to the P640RE to get a P740DM, when we users get superior performance out of that additional size and heft.

CPU can be HQ/HK, I don't really bother since I downclock and under-volt them anyway. And anyway Intel has ditched rPGA, so that's never coming back.

As others have said earlier on: keep the 2.5" slot. It's probably worth keeping until at least 2020, or when SSDs are as reliable/long-lasting and cheap as HDDs, whichever comes first.

I want more BIOS options out of the box for tweaking and tuning. Excellent battery life and optimised power when I move out and around, but maximum performance immediately when the power adapter is plugged in. In-depth fan control.

No more obscure VIA audio chipsets. Use Realtek, please.

Finally, and I've said this even in the 2015/2016 thread: make the hinges like MacBook hinges/the P870DM hinge, i.e. one large, central one instead of two small ones at the side. It gives the lid just that much more steadiness and a bit less of a tacky feel.

All of these are meant to address faults in the W230SS and P640RE. I probably won't move to bigger laptops since I like my notebooks to be portable and mobile.

P.S. I honestly wonder how and if Clevo will read all these requests (some seem just a little far-fetched), and in this day and age, it's just unheard of companies that ask for customer opinion. Maybe Clevo does things differently.

Edited by SRSR333

• Guest changed the title to [POLL] 2016 and Beyond: What do YOU want?
  • Guest unpinned this topic