Remote access to Home network...

Gost_dog

All right... I know this may sound stupid but I need a hand here...

This is my situation,

I Have a home network with a NAS attached to it...

My computer as mapped drive... and I want to be able to access it when im not on my home network.

SO I was thinking VPN is one option...

And the other one could be to use DDNS, convert my NAS ip to a fix domain name... and then map the domain name.

The issue,

I have no clue how a VPN works or is configured...

I have no clue how a DDNS works or is configured...

I run WIN7 ultimate X64.

And my router/modem is provided from my ISP model: Cisco DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway (I think there is no built-in VPN but I see there is a DDNS option were I would switch ON and then select the provider (DYNdns) and then log in info + domain name...

And my NAS drive is FTP+SSH enabled

Any help would be appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2015 at 11:25 PM, Gost_dog said:

All right... I know this may sound stupid but I need a hand here...

This is my situation,

I Have a home network with a NAS attached to it...

My computer as mapped drive... and I want to be able to access it when im not on my home network.

SO I was thinking VPN is one option...

And the other one could be to use DDNS, convert my NAS ip to a fix domain name... and then map the domain name.

The issue,

I have no clue how a VPN works or is configured...

I have no clue how a DDNS works or is configured...

I run WIN7 ultimate X64.

And my router/modem is provided from my ISP model: Cisco DPC3848V DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway (I think there is no built-in VPN but I see there is a DDNS option were I would switch ON and then select the provider (DYNdns) and then log in info + domain name...

And my NAS drive is FTP+SSH enabled

Any help would be appreciated...

If you're just looking to do a remote session, I like teamviewer from www.teamviewer.com  It has a great interface thats very easy to use, and you can do file transfer in case you need something from your computer/nas. It is free for private use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would actually like to amend my suggestion of Hamachi to ZeroTier One.  ZeroTier One is basically an open source version of Hamachi that supports more devices per network (100 instead of 5 at the free tier) as well as more devices - windows, linux, osx, android, iOS, various NAS devices, and even OpenWRT.  It also supports ipv6, which may be interesting to some people.  I recently converted all of my devices over to ZeroTier One and performs exactly like Hamachi, just without the pesky 5 device limit. 

• 3 months later...

I think a DDNS is the option you want to go for, there are a lot of free DDNS providers that offer you a domain (I use No-IP: https://www.noip.com/free). However I would first check whether your router supports DDNS and, if so, which DDNS providers it supports. I was playing with the thought as well, but found that my Internet Provider has locked my router pretty much down (Port restrictions etc.) and I don't have a third party router as of yet.

I think you will also need port forwarding to access your drive, so check for that as well.

I currently use Teamviewer (A remote desktop software) to access my files at home, however streaming is a bit difficult because of my bandwidth and because Teamviewer IMO doesn't have the best latency.

• 1 year later...

If you're going the VPN route, it will also depend on your Gateway IP address.  Not sure if you have Comcast as your ISP, but most VPNs don't like the default comcast IP addresses that start with 10.0.0.1, ect.  You are able to change that on your gateway, but will need to log into the gateway as admin and go into Network settings and change the default IP to something with the 192.168 scheme.

I assumed Comcast service based on your gateway of Cisco DPC3848V 

Edited by CUm_Laude
Additional info for my post

• 10 months later...