Clevo p870dm - 120hz mod?

tmcdonough10

<article>

I really want the p870dm (either Sager or Eurocom). That said, I also really want a 120hz monitor on my laptop. I play competitive CS:GO (that is the primary, but not sole, reason for buying the machine). I have a great desktop, but travel a lot, so the external monitor bit doesn't really work here.

I know that i can get an x8 Extreme from Eurocom today (p377sm-a), which ships w/ 120hz monitor. It also, though, is a mobile haswell CPU (vs. desktop Skylake). Looking through these and other forums, it looks like people were initially optimistic about a 120hz mod for the p870dm but I haven't seen any progress on that front.

Wondering if people here think A) a 120hz mod for p870dm will come (i.e., 3rd party purchase of 120hz laptop monitor),
B)
if not, how much I could overclock the p870dm refresh rate? and C) if not, how much worse is the p377sm-a from a performance standpoint?

Thanks!

</article>

A) Unknown

B) Just like with CPUs and GPU's every panel is different. I have heard people getting stable 100Hz OC's.

C) The P377SM-A is still a good machine. Able to house 980M SLI & 4940MX you would have no issue with this machine. (Even with a single 970M and 4810MQ you would have no issues)

Honestly, my quicker suggestion to you is a P770ZM (not DM) for 120Hz in a laptop. The problem is you'll need to do some modding for it.

Now, this is only theory, but it should work in practise. I simply have not found anybody brave enough to spend the money on it. Let me list the instructions for you.

The P770ZM has two configs. One with LVDS panels housing Chi Mei and AUO panels, and one with the IPS panel using eDP (most commonly sold as the P770ZM-G).

You need to get the P770ZM-G version (or one with the eDP connector alone; not necessarily the gsync model) and then buy the LCD cover for the LVDS panels. The reason is that the 120Hz screen has the same mounting orientation and screen size as the LVDS panels (as the P37xSM and P37xSM-A models all used those panels in the same LCD cover) and replace the other LCD cover with that. The LCD cover for the eDP panel has I believe top/bottom orientation for mounting screws, and you need side mounting orientation screws.

Once replaced, the eDP panel should simply just plug in, and you'll have your 120Hz. A prema BIOS is recommended for proper functionality of the screen; if you have any issues you could contact him and probably give him a small donation to help him help you =D.

This is the best way to get a powerhouse machine with few problems, great cooling AND 120Hz today.

The P770DM as far as I know uses another eDP standard (like the P870DM) so even if the mounting orientation and screen size was not an issue (it is), you'd still have to mod the eDP cable to handle it. I fully intend to attempt such a mod whenever I get a P870DM, but I can't recommend it to you. This is why there's little progress on that front. 120Hz panels are all but dead for laptops, and it's a real issue for people like myself and you.

Oh, and the 120Hz panel is the LG LP173WF2-TPB1

A) Unknown

B) Just like with CPUs and GPU's every panel is different. I have heard people getting stable 100Hz OC's.

C) The P377SM-A is still a good machine. Able to house 980M SLI & 4940MX you would have no issue with this machine. (Even with a single 970M and 4810MQ you would have no issues)

Thanks a lot. Just to be clear: on B, you've heard of people overclocking the p870dm to 100hz? Or just laptop monitors in general to 100hz? If you recall, could you please link me to where you've seen this? This would change my decision between buying the p377sm-a and the p870dm, as 100hz would be acceptable.

Thanks a lot. Just to be clear: on B, you've heard of people overclocking the p870dm to 100hz? Or just laptop monitors in general to 100hz? If you recall, could you please link me to where you've seen this? This would change my decision between buying the p377sm-a and the p870dm, as 100hz would be acceptable.

https://youtu.be/NC2blnl0WTE?t=2m26s

Most notable.