i7 CPU stuck at 1.18Ghz

I have a Clevo W150ERQ with an i7-3630QM processor, 2.4Ghz. However suddenly the CPU is only reporting 1.18ghz max and operating at right around 50% on all cores.

I first noticed this when comparing computer speeds bewteen two laptops (a clevo and an asus) using Handbrake to recode a DVD. The clevo computer was significantly faster at rendering video and the benchmark tests I did showed the Clevo to be significantly faster.

However the latest benchmark I ran and Handbrake test showed the opposite; something has caused the clevo computer proessor to be stuck at 50% max. The idle temps stay around 56-60C and it never goes above 70.

I have no idea what changed. The power is stable and I'm using the high performance power plan. There's nothing in the bios that relates to adjusting or protecting the processor, and in any event I've not changed anything I know of that would cause this.

Anyone have any idea what could cause the CPU to suddenly go to half power?

Run ThrottleStop and make sure BD PROCHOT is not checked.

If that does not fix it, click on the Set Multiplier option and increase that to the maximum value. Make sure both types of Clock Modulation are showing 100.0% on the right hand side of ThrottleStop. Post some pics of ThrottleStop if you are still having problems.

I will let you know what the problem is after these tests.

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 5

https://www.sendspace.com/file/p1q40a

Thank you very much for the reply. I will run throttlestop and post the results.

In the meantime, I came across this thread that has at least temporarily restored the proper speed:

Intel Power Management Driver Slows Computer to a Crawl - Microsoft Community

From that thread:

1. Edit the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\intelppm\Start = 4)

After changing that registry key the processor speed now reads 2.4Ghz instead of 1.18Ghz. I'm watching the temp to make sure it doesn't go too high. I'm not terribly comfortable having to change the registry, and also it seems like this is only a temporary fix as it is reported that windows updates have reset the registry setting back to 3.

You are making progress but the Set Multiplier value is set way too low. Increase that to 34 T, check the Set Multiplier box and then click on the Turn On button to take ThrottleStop out of Monitoring mode and put it into active mode. T stands for Turbo Boost. Intel designed the Core i7-3630QM to run much faster so you might as well use what you paid for. You cannot use ThrottleStop to overclock this CPU. You are only trying to make it run at its Intel rated speed.

After that, try running the built in TS Bench test. Use the 1 Thread option and while the test is in progress, take a screenshot which will confirm that your CPU is using lots of Turbo Boost like it is supposed to be.

That's all well and good and thanks for the help, but I still don't know why the CPU started maxing at 50% in the first place, and I don't want to have to start Throttlestop every single time I restart the PC.

BTW, I don't see any difference in performance or clock speed when I checked the set multiplier button (34T). Simply starting TS and not doing anything else allows the CPU to go to 100% usage.