OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

• Founder
time to start moving furniture in here and get rid of the cobwebs . Is michael staying with his m17x-R3? seems like it. I have to say after seen this picture I leaned towards the m17x-R3 the m18x is to massive to carry around.

64228d1303311661-m18x-dwarfs-m17x-engadget-hands-pics-20110419-10110864-alienware3-img6543-1-.jpg

On the other hand Brian is gonna be bragging about this for years to come, so be prepare. :byebye:

Holy hell that thing is big, I figured it would be big but not that much bigger than the R3. That's not even a laptop, can't be classified as a DTR, it's a hybrid all-in-one desktop lol. Kinda like the Ford Taurus X it's not a car it's not an suv or truck it's a cruck. I guess we can call the M18x a Desk-book lol.
I mean don't get me wrong I completely love the m18x, it just so big, massive and intimidating.

And in the upside If you get one you don't have to spend the 10k it will cost you to configure an AW Desktop

Wow that is a large difference for being 1inch difference in models. Perfect is big enough for my big hands lol.
+1 "cruck" rofl!~ :P

That picture throws off the scale. Look at the actual measurements, M18x is roughly the same size as the M17x-R2 and when I put the R2 + R3 next to each other, the size difference wasn't very pronounced. Sure the R3 was a bit thinner (~0.4") but who cares? And yes, I will thoroughly enjoy the M18x power + IGP when I'm on the go. :) I'm not worried about the size, I got enough muscle to carry it easily lol.

Edit:

In fact I even made a video with both of them playing Metro 2033. I'll post a screenshot of that video for everyone to see. It's taken in the dark but both were sitting on the same type of NB cooler and the width + height difference can be seen. The R2 was only slightly thicker looking in person and a bit wider like the M18x.

post-5-14494987823054_thumb.jpg

• Founder

Yeah, Avenger does look huge, but for people that mostly stay home with it and do not plan to take it to work and such it's an awesome option.

Taking it everyday to work - no no. Moving it from room to room - sure :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
well finally got my m17xr3 ... looks nice .. feels nice

overclocked the gpu .. did a benchie Result

don't really understand the tdp ?? settings yet so haven't played with the cpu

Congrats, what's your config? Post some pics.

Result another 100 points ...

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM Processor (2.2GHz, 1600 MHz DDR3, 6M cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit (English)

WARRANTY & SERVICE 1-year Premier Service with 1-year CompleteCover

SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee® Security Center - 15 Months Version

HD DISPLAY 17.3" Full HD (1920x1080) WLED LCD Panel

MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 X 4GB) (1333MHz Memory operates at 800MHz)

HARD DRIVE 1.5TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive (750GBx2)(Raid 0)

OPTICAL DRIVE Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive

VIDEO CARD 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6970M

card running 811 core and 1201 memory

ram reset to 1333 mhz Current Timing (tCAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS): 7.0-9-9-25

you want pics /screenshots ?

certainly not the highest i've seen score wise .. but still stock heatpads etc

Wayne nice score especially the cpu score seemed nice. The max I got was pushing 8050 I think DR650SE got 8400+ with dice.

Brian I didn't realize there's no huge visible difference between R2 RGB LED and R3 WLED. So R3 LED = M18x LED?

Edited by mw86

cheers ... changing the ram speed to 1333 and upping the timming to suit the sticks gave me a good increase on cpu ..... sadly gpx drivers are still holding these cards back cronically ... i dont even get the high speed fan come on during the tests with the overclocked speeds ..... however 6 hours of portal2 ...(yeah i know its shit but i love the gameplay) has both fans singing a chorus

also running the 04 bios ...

Edited by Wayne Dalton

In bios you turn on overclocking .. Set the bus for the ram to 1333(it has about 5/6 settings all the way to 2133mhz) then you have 3 options for timming xms 1/2 stock .. or custom ... if you go to custom you can set all your timing .... you can also adjust the ram voltage ...

hope that helps

Nice having used an R2 so far I did not know, that's more adjustable IMO then the R2's memory related overclock options. So what effect does XMS 1 or 2 have? So far what have you found working best for timings or voltage and speed? If you can get good speeds for your 4 core operations your physics score will go up which effects one test and half of the last test for 3DMark2011. I was told you can overclock your base-clock up to 5% that's the most but that could produce a decent increase in score on the R3. Have you overclocked the base-clock yet?

Finally run my Video Essentials blu-ray disc to setup the screen properly on the mx17 r3 ... and WOW ... Screen has gone from been good to amazing .... Really recommend doing this if you haven't already .. Looks like it has a very high quality panel in it .

Cheers

• Founder
Finally run my Video Essentials blu-ray disc to setup the screen properly on the mx17 r3 ... and WOW ... Screen has gone from been good to amazing .... Really recommend doing this if you haven't already .. Looks like it has a very high quality panel in it .

Cheers

Yeah tweaking it helps a lot. Out of the box the R3 panel has a really large blue shift.

For mine I had to go into the ATI CCC panels and change the settings within the color panels, based on the screen that I've had so far(3 as sad as it may seem) all 3 were slightly different so just play with the settings for your panel to what looks best to you. Now if you're going for the best color reproduction don't ask me as I didn't "tune" it just played with the settings til it looked better. On a side note if Dell ever actually ships it I got the specs on my replacement rig and I have to say I'm very happy :) Got upgrades on the CPU from a 2630qm to a 2820qm, upgrade from DVD to BR, upgrade from 4gb to 8gb, and have the 6970m/60hz/6300 with standard on the rest :D :D :D

For mine I had to go into the ATI CCC panels and change the settings within the color panels, based on the screen that I've had so far(3 as sad as it may seem) all 3 were slightly different so just play with the settings for your panel to what looks best to you. Now if you're going for the best color reproduction don't ask me as I didn't "tune" it just played with the settings til it looked better. On a side note if Dell ever actually ships it I got the specs on my replacement rig and I have to say I'm very happy :) Got upgrades on the CPU from a 2630qm to a 2820qm, upgrade from DVD to BR, upgrade from 4gb to 8gb, and have the 6970m/60hz/6300 with standard on the rest :D :D :D

What the hell, Dane!

You raped them worse than me!

Let me say, it's super nice to be free of Optimus. This 6970 is smokin!

Dropping by forums to try and figure out how to:

OC this badboy and,

which benches to run (to start the potential addiction) edit: I guess I'll start with vantage

my 2720 pushed to 105.06 with no problems. Can probably go further, but want to bench first!

Edited by kune

Well, sorry but I am moving out. It was nice but my m17x-r3 order is no more. I will leave the keys at the door, sorry it didn't worked between us, but My heart was stolen by your bigger sister the M18x.

I will send someone for my stuff, you can keep the pictures.:62:

Hi guys,

I would like to know how good the HD6970M in M17x R3 perform in games especially Crysis 2 and Metro 2033?

Really glad if someone could tell me about this.

Thanks in advance guys.:)

• Founder
Hi guys,

I would like to know how good the HD6970M in M17x R3 perform in games especially Crysis 2 and Metro 2033?

It works great with both games. I'll put up a gameplay video of Crysis 2 very soon so keep checking back.

Hi guys,

See if this chart helps, you can customize what video cards to compare with what games. At least it will give you good idea.

Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - Notebookcheck.net Tech