OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

20 minutes ago, handale30 said:

Well, here you go, let me know if you are able to get it working.

I just installed a gtx680m on my new alienware m15x and boy does it still have a punch, it still runs bf5 1080p no problem. I was impressed. 

rebooting now to redo the security settings, everything I had done but did not do this bit will hopefully work in 5 mins... thank you so so so much for your detailed explanation. you my friend are a STAR! be right back

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, handale30 said:

Well, here you go, let me know if you are able to get it working.

I just installed a gtx680m on my new alienware m15x and boy does it still have a punch, it still runs bf5 1080p no problem. I was impressed. 

It's installing thank:) you so much, you are a star, so patient and knowledgable.  a legend!

2 minutes ago, gribster said:

It's installing thank:) you so much, you are a star, so patient and knowledgable.  a legend!

worth every hour of today for this :)

Screenshot 2019-02-21 19.34.22.png

Edited by gribster
adding screen shot!

8 hours ago, gribster said:

worth every hour of today for this :)

Screenshot 2019-02-21 19.34.22.png

Yeeahh!!!!! that's what I'm talking about! wooo job well done, :) I'm so glad you were able to get it up and running.  now go have some good gaming sessions. I love the R3/R4 design and the 680m is still great. it's my pleasure btw, enjoy :P  your new setup! 

So, does anyone here know how to fix the GPU fan not spinning automatically after a GPU upgrade with an MXM Zotac 1070 (mini desktop card)? 

I can control it with HWinfo but I only get one slider that controls both CPU and GPU and if I remove EC support I get dual sliders BUT they both control both fans. ts just a pain in the ass having to set it to Manual Auto setting every time I start the laptop.  at least they just added spindown delay today for HWinfo, but I still have to open the app and press the little fan icon so the manual auto starts to work.    

Any workarounds??   help would be appreciated, cheers!! 

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

No, I believe the support stopped for the 880M. The easy thing to do is go to Nvidia and enter the 880M and see what driver they suggest to install. It could be possible to mod the latest driver to include the 880M. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I have an M17x R4 and the new version of Windows 10 is starting making weird things with drivers. I'm waiting to be promoted to try the audio drivers modded by J95, but meanwhile, which version of Win10 do you recommend me to install? I have a 980m, but I'm going to change it to a Zotac 1070 next week, so any advise is welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 8:46 PM, Hail3gh said:

I have tried all the different ways to fix my audio on my m17x r3 to work,   is it because I'm on windows 10?

Hi Hail3gh, I am about to try and do the same thing. The only thing that comes to mind for me from all my research on doing this is that you might not have disabled "HD audio" in the BIOS before installing the video card and drivers. Or maybe you forgot to re-enable it after the installation?

On 10/19/2021 at 2:38 PM, Hail3gh said:

Thank you,  I did both of those,  but I'll give it another try,  maybe i did something wrong,,, thank you

How did it go? Did it work? You might have needed to fully uninstall the new drivers befere flipping the HD Audio Switch, I am not sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello 

i have replace mainboard with A12 (official) BIOS for m17x r3 dan i got struggle to install driver for HD6990m 

it got blank (Black screen/ stuck in windows logo) after installing AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 

and totally blank while installing AMD Catalyst latest version.  

• 5 months later...

I have M17xR4 120hz , i noticed recently the GPU fans stopped kicking and temps go wild resulting in freezes and random restarts, even on idle.. the only thing that makes the fans work again is running HWiNFO64 fan control every time I startup the PC. does anyone have the same issue? why it happens? also how can i get it back to its original state without having to run a 3rd party software to make it work (because that feels really odd).

also updating the GPU driver to latest version results in a completely black screen and error 43 in device manager.

I tried formatting, reinstalling windows, tried Windows 10, Windows 8.1.. same issue..

I have A15 BIOS and i tried other versions as well

Repasted the GPU as well as the CPU, and the laptop is completely dust free.

GPU : Nvidia GTX 675m

Driver version: 331.65 

Windows 8.1

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone in 2022 alive here??

i installed Win11 on my M17xR3 (only cardreader and 120hz 3D display driver not working yet).

next upgrade is cpu with liquid metal cooling and my softtouch surface is getting sticky... :)

my specs:

Alienware M17x R3, GTX 780M OC bios, i7-2670QM, 16 GB Ram, wlan AC7265, 3D display, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Windows 11

Alienware Area-51 m15x, SSD + 2nd HDD in caddy, Windows 7 (nvidia GPU died)

Edited by pur3v3nom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

yes, still alive here, running an Alienware M17xR3 machine on Windows 10 OS. :) Years ago I somehow managed it to install GTX 880M on my machine for the price of not working audio output. Now I am using bluetooth earphones for everything with audio. That works fine for gaming and video, but unfortunately it doesn't work well with Microsoft Teams - after 20-30 minutes of video call the bluetooth connection is interrupted. It perhaps has something to do with the earphones, who knows...

Very interesting that you figured out how to install Windows 11, my machine is reportedly doesn't meet the requirements for such an update. I guess it would not work out for me neither, because the modified video card driver won't work with Windows 11 so I am not even taking chances. Besides of that I value the card reader function. ;-) For the processor - I upgraded it to i7-2960XM and installed more powerful fans. It does a good job with my only 256 GB SATA 600 Kingston SSD and 8GB RAM. So for me, the upgrade journey ends here, but I wish you success for the cpu upgrade - I think it is worth it!

my Windows 11 is an "unofficial" version, all the install restrictions have already been removed. :)

I modded newest Nvidia driver for my 780m, no problem works for Win11.

I also ordered the 2960xm and will use LiquidMetal for the CPU.

do you think i still need other fans ?

Edited by pur3v3nom

Hi @pur3v3nom,

I've been heavily occupied this week... Look, an upgrade of fans is a challenging task to do because you always need to pay attention to the size of the fans. In other words they need to be compatible to replace the original factory fans. I would say it has paid out for me because the more powerful fans mean less noise. They are turned on less frequently and they blow through more air at the same rpm. So they are more efficient. However you can try additional external cooling fans for example by using notebook cooler stand in the first place.

If you are looking for additional information regarding the fan upgrade, take a look at these URLs:

M17x CPU Fan Upgrade/Mod (2CFM->10.4CFM)

Neue Laptop Fan Für Dell Alienware M17X R3 R4 R5 Serie CPU

Laptop Cpu-lüfter für DELL Alienware M14X R1 M14X R2 M14XR2

I don't remember which of the fans I purchased but I upgraded both - the cpu and the gpu fan.

By the way - buying a 2960XM is the one thing, another one is to enable a proper and stable overclocking on a Windows 10/11 system the processor was not designed to work with. I was not able to get the best out of it. In any case overclocking reports made by users of a Windows 7 system were more promising. However you may have more luck.

I also used modded Nvidia driver for the upgraded video car. If I would be able to install Windows 11, I would need to start all over again and I don't know which benefits I had using Win 11 on this old machine? :) Did you noticed any advantages compared to Windows 10?

just finished my cpu/gpu repaste :) 

my old i7-2670qm reached 92+ temp in prime 95 after few seconds with original coolingpads

the i7-2960xm with liquid metal is now at 79 max in prime95. very nice

the 2960xm is not supported for OC in win10.

do you use XTU 2.1 for overclocking or which tool?

My congratulations! :)

Regarding overclocking - as I said I was not able to overclock the 2960XM on my Windows 10 system. I didn't found any tool that allows me to adjust the multiplier settings. Also I couldn't install XTU 2.1 on my Windows 10 system, the installation quits with error message "The extreme utility service could not be contacted.". I first had big hopes to change multipliers in Unlocked BIOS A12, but either my BIOS is not really unlocked or I simply don't know how to do it.

So if you find a way to overclock the 2960XM, I am deadly curios to learn how it works.