New gtx 980 for laptop

suall_lh

NVIDIA has annouced the new gtx 980 for laptop. Any idea when will it be officially released? Do you think the alienware 18 will be capable of running these monsters in sli? I have enough money for a pair of gtx 980m but is it better to wait and invest in this new graphic card ? They said the performance will be on par with the desktop version so it would be awesome to have these graphic cards running in sli.

• 1 month later...
NVIDIA has annouced the new gtx 980 for laptop. Any idea when will it be officially released? Do you think the alienware 18 will be capable of running these monsters in sli? I have enough money for a pair of gtx 980m but is it better to wait and invest in this new graphic card ? They said the performance will be on par with the desktop version so it would be awesome to have these graphic cards running in sli.

Hello,

The recent versions of the gtx 980 notebook edition aren't mxm standart size. Probably cards in mxm size will come in the future because msi probably wants to upgrade their gt80 with 2× gtx 980 notebook gpu's

Best regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow wow wow guys slowley 980 has 165w tdp !!!!

U will need some water cooling system or very very good heatsink cuz aw 18 max can support tdp up to 130-150w (in nvidia version).

Btw u will need at least 300w psu for one card and if you want it in sli you will need 450w psu at least.

I will try some ideas with water cooling system on my m18x and will create new thread. :devilish:

You aren't right. 

There exists two versions with different pcb's of the gtx 980. One has 180 watts tdp and the other one has a 200 watts tdp.

I receaved information that even the 180 watts tdp card won't fit in the new alienware 18 although the pcb of the card looks like standart mxm pcb like gtx 980m.

But yes the aw 18 heatsinks can't cool a card like this.

Edited by hans123

• 2 weeks later...