Will a Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 cable eventually be released?

pizzacat

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

i am new here and it is my first post. At first thanks for your wonderful forum. I didn't want any place to ask this question, so I opened a new thread.

I have a 2015 macbook pro 15 inches. The base model with iris pro graphics. As you know it has two thunderbolt 2 ports. Few months ago Intel announced thunderbolt 3 and they announced it will support external gpu. Mobile gpus and desktop class gpus and it seems docks for thunderbolt 3 with egpu solutions are in the work.

now comes my question: Supposing that in few months we will have these egpus with thunderbolt 3 support. I want to ask if we can use these docks by using an adopter with thunderbolt 2 or not. I know that thunderbolt 2 is slower. (20 gb/s in comparison to 40 gb/s). But I want to know if it is theoretically possible or not? There may be lower performance (for example 80% performance) but if it is possible it would be a good solution for people who look for easier and cheaper setups.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone wanted to know, I received a response from Startech and they are projecting to release their adapter Mid Feb, early March.  But I was told it should be Mid Feb for release date.... Not sure how much i believe this but wanted to share in case anyone was wondering.

On 1/4/2016 at 1:09 PM, illconn said:

In case anyone wanted to know, I received a response from Startech and they are projecting to release their adapter Mid Feb, early March.  But I was told it should be Mid Feb for release date.... Not sure how much i believe this but wanted to share in case anyone was wondering.

Thank you illcon for your response,

Do you have any information about the  cable you spoke about? any link from startech or picture.

Besides please check this link:

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/razers-thinnest-most-affordable-gaming-laptop/2300-6428850/

It seems very exciting. If it works with a adapter with thunderbolt 2 port. What do you think?

Do you think the people with laptops with thunderbolt 3 can use this external chassis as well?

Hi ali4110m,

Looks like some more recent news was posted by Amazon!

Feb 26th is the ship date according to Amazon, and to answer your question it should absolutely work as its also bi-directional, and simply takes the tb3 signal and changes it to tb2 and vise versa.  I may pre order one just to know im going to get it, but im betting that TB3 Enclosures will be announced shortly as well since Razer Core is now a thing.  I am willing to bet the competition is now feeling pressured and will release info soon too.  I have an XPS 13 with TB3, and would like to use my GPU and ditch my giant desktop so im really looking forward to this!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B019FPJDQ2

• Thumbs Up 1

AKiTiO will also be offering a ~US$81 aluminium rather than plastic TB3 to TB2/TB1 adapter. From today's email correspondance:

On Tuesday, 12 January 2016, 12:00 @akitio.com wrote:

Hi Nando,

We will also have one but I believe the price will be similar to theirs. Ours will, however, be aluminum where theirs is plastic.

On Jan 11, 2016, at 2:23 PM, Nando wrote:

Hi AKiTiO

Optional TB3 to TB2/TB1 adapter?

Thank you for the quick answer that has been noted and liked already.

May I you consider investigating a low cost optional TB3 to TB2/TB1 adapter? This may entice the TB2/TB1 notebook users to consider your TB3 enclosure instead and given them an automatic upgrade when get a TB3 notebook.

We see that StarTech have a US$81 TB3-TB adapter: Amazon.com: StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt Adapter (TBT3TBTADAP): Computers & Accessories which is not so cost effective.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pre ordered the TB3 to TB2 adapter from Colamco: http://www.colamco.com/startech-com-data-transfer-cable-tbt3tbtadap-1185217

Spoke to customer service, and they said the adapters are set to arrive at their warehouse the 19th, and will "Ship" the 20th to me.  We shall see, and i will keep everyone posted on whether it works or not.  What are you guys using to benchmark the throughput on TB?  I would like to see how well the adapter works, or if it will be a big fail for the eGPU community specially for those thinking of using one for the Razer Core style docks.

Rich.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any updates on these? Amazon's saying the Startech one is shipping at the end of April now, and no one else has it "in stock". The AKiTiO one doesn't exist on their site, and Kanex has no other info than "we'll have one" on their site. I'm looking to need one at the end of March, so I hope someone gets one out the door.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also trying to get TB3->TB1/2 adapter, but it seems they are nowhere to be found. Still nothing on Akitio's site and last i spoke to Startech they said that it would be available for retailers in May 2016.

Guess I'll have to put my laptop update on hold until such and adapter arrives.

Does anyone know of someone else making such an adapter?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

From what I gathered about the startech adapter, it only works for connecting a tbolt 1/2 device to a tbolt 3 host.

I pre-ordered a razer core, and wanted to connect it to my mid-2011 mac mini, which has tbolt 1.

So I need an adapter that can connect a tbolt 3 device to a tbolt 1/2 host, and I cannot find any such adapter anywhere.

The akitio adapter will not do this either: https://www.akitio.com/adapters/t3t

In the meanwhile I'm cancelling my order for the core, and will wait until there is something that allows this to work.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping this topic but is there any news about TB3>TB2 adapters? Want to buy Razor Core/Akitio thunder 3 and connect to MacBook 2013 with TB2 And some time in future replace with a better laptop with tb3

32 minutes ago, nmzik said:

Sorry for bumping this topic but is there any news about TB3>TB2 adapters? Want to buy Razor Core/Akitio thunder 3 and connect to MacBook 2013 with TB2 And some time in future replace with a better laptop with tb3

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEL2/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter?fnode=4c

As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port.*
* Requires macOS Sierra.

Edited by Skydreamer888