Fallout 3 on Windows 10?

geezergamer

Hey friends,

I've upgraded to W10 and this weekend I wanted to play FO3 once more before FO4 comes out. It plays for 10-20 mins and freezes. So hard that it takes a reboot to fix it! I've looked online and there are paid patches but nothing free to fix my already paid for game! My pc is a beast w/980ti g1 and an over clocked 5820k. Are there any settings or work around you know of? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, I was having the same issue, in my case it was because FO3 do not support more than 2 cores (CPU), I fixed it by editing the fallout3.ini;

Open the folder My documents / My Games / Fallout3

* Edit the file FALLOUT.ini.

* Inside FALLOUT.ini look for a group called [general].

* Inside the general group, after all the configuration parameters, just copy and paste the following 2 lines:

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

Now close and save the Fallout 3 configuration file.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

You could try running compatibility mode. I just installed it on Windows 10 and it runs fine without a problem, however when I installed it on Windows 8 there was some trouble. If you ran Fallout 3 on a previous verison of Windows, go into your fallout 3 game directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout 3 goty) and right click fallout launcher and create a short cut to desktop.

What rocknarutoxx has said can be very helpful. It is widely known among pc Fallout 3 players of how bad of a port it was from console to pc. Generally the game just has poor optimization and compatibility. People generally load the game up in compatibility with I believe was windows xp. You can access this by right clicking the game exe and selecting properties. Then choose the compatibility tab and select one from the drop down list. Once it gets working you may experience a crash here and there but it runs quite decent. Remember to save often to prevent loss of progress!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Had the same problem with the Anthology Version, u think u going to by a pack like this and it will run instantly :angry:

compatibility mode is one part of the solution the other is an Intel HD graphics Bypass package,

which can be found here:   http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/17209/?

have fun

Edited by casis86

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...