Custom Built Desktop Computer Turns on by Itself

Hello All,

I have an issue with my desktop computer where it will power itself on randomly after the computer has been shut off, put into sleep mode, or put into hibernate. It usually occurs a few hours after performing one of the three power functions mentioned.

Before you suggest the BIOS configuration as the issue, I have recently upgraded the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I have made sure that there are no wake schedules and no devices are set to wake the computer. The same exact issue persists even with the new hardware. The only components that stayed the same were the computer case, power supply, and two video cards. The issue occurs both with and without a LAN cable attached to its network port. I have also removed all external devices from the computer and had only the power cord plugged into the PSU and the computer will still power on at some point in the middle of the night. For now I have resorted to turning the switch off from the PSU after a standard shutdown.

Any help on this matter is much appreciated.

Well for the sleep and hibernate I would normally suspect the OS sending some wakeup call. Would happen quite usually with Vista. Not sure of the current state of Windows. Could happen on linux too wit messed up cron.

But you said that it also powers up from a shutdowned state. If it happened then and still persists, following common knowledge it has to be one of the remaining components. The case usually has nothing to do with the computers operation. If the csse itself though has some wires, you can try to leave them unplugged. It should only effect some lights, But you never know. If the GPUs are the same. You can try to unplug then too and see if the problem is still there. If yes, then it somehow just simply has to be the psu sending some random switch on events. Could be that it turns itself on and the rest of the computer thinks it as a pushed power button.

Tha is just a wild quess but what combination of solutipns are there

Try to troubleshoot the cause, because right now its just random guesses.

type cmd on windows search bar and run with admin privilages

powercfg –lastwake // to see what device made windows wake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed //to see what devices are allowed to wake the pc.

If the last wake was none I would suspect a motherboard issue.

Post your result for further help.

My desktop used to randomly reset or reset continually. I discovered it was an issue with the case or mobo after some experimenting. Disconnecting the reset button fixed it. If the other suggestions don't work and you have a reset button or the like, try swapping it in for the power connection and see if you have the same problem. (and leave the power connection loose)

I would consider the case as I have one that restarts the computer regardless of if I send it the shutdown command and the only way is to turn it off at the mains. It is a quick fix to disconnect the power and reset cables from the case to the motherboard and use either the switch on the motherboard or short the pins to start the computer. If it still switches on in the night you can pretty much rule out the case and then look to the PSU.

If yes, then it somehow just simply has to be the psu sending some random switch on events. Could be that it turns itself on and the rest of the computer thinks it as a pushed power button.

Tha is just a wild quess but what combination of solutipns are there

This is what I was thinking because it's the only component that is the same from the upgrade besides the case and GPU's.

Try to troubleshoot the cause, because right now its just random guesses.

type cmd on windows search bar and run with admin privilages

powercfg –lastwake // to see what device made windows wake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed //to see what devices are allowed to wake the pc.

If the last wake was none I would suspect a motherboard issue.

Post your result for further help.

I'll give this a shot when I get home from work. I shut it down this morning so that it would be powered on when I get home. I don't think it's a motherboard issue since it happened with my old one and now happens with a brand new one. (only a month old)

My desktop used to randomly reset or reset continually. I discovered it was an issue with the case or mobo after some experimenting. Disconnecting the reset button fixed it. If the other suggestions don't work and you have a reset button or the like, try swapping it in for the power connection and see if you have the same problem. (and leave the power connection loose)

I'll try this after I get results from the lastwake commands that israsuke recommends.

Thank you everyone for the help, I appreciate it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...