GM204: GTX 980 / M5500 - N16E-GXX/Q7 - ALL variants

most probably, considering it says its for the P870DM and that machine sports the 200W model :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

btw, hilarious how the watercooled gx700 has lower core and vram clocks than the air cooled clevo gpus :D also, totally not surprised that the aorus 980 machine is delayed due to temperature problems....well, duh! :D 980 thin and light, aint happening! go get urselves a crapple instead! ;)

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Prema said:

Added Quadro M5500 to the OP!

Will update it with proper data after I can verify it.

The memory chips on that M5500 pic have 2014 dates on them and 5GHz speed rating. It looks like an MSI 980m card.

Edited by Khenglish

Yeah, that's NVIDIAs official advertising pic.

It has 3 larger plus one regular power phases, but it's still using the same amount of MOSFETs and yet rated for 150W...

I should have some real pics and data soon-ish...

2 hours ago, Prema said:

Yeah, that's NVIDIAs official advertising pic.

It has 3 larger plus one regular power phases, but it's still using the same amount of MOSFETs and yet rated for 150W...

I should have some real pics and data soon-ish...

If it does turn out to be the same PCB as the 980m, please post very high res :)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
a bit late to the party, but that M5500 looks like a sweet alternative to machines not being able to physically handle a regular 980 [emoji6]

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

or two of them[emoji6] can this card do SLI?

Sent from my Micromax AQ4501 using Tapatalk

On 5/12/2016 at 4:20 PM, god1729 said:

or two of thememoji6.png can this card do SLI?

Out of the box it has no SLI connector, just a provision.

or two of them[emoji6] can this card do SLI?

Out of the box it has no SLI connector, just a provision.

like the 180w 980...

2 minutes ago, god1729 said:

like the 180w 980...

Nope, the 180W comes with SLI connector.

• 1 month later...

@Prema

http://laptopmedia.com/news/acer-predator-17xs-monstrous-battery-isnt-enough-and-heres-why/

List 980DT BGA (ew) for Acer predator 17x is 165w?

Also, what does everybody think of the cooling job on the machine? It uses vapor chamber which is unusual to see. Also the fan closer to CPU is bigger...

@Mr. Fox

Has 1 extra auxiliary fan on front

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-acer-predator-17x-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/

@str8_an94baller

That's an interesting cooling solution. A vapor plate is really nice and I wish we saw them more on laptops and desktops. If they could drop heatpipes and have the vapor plate go into the radiator that'd be great, but unfortunately we don't have that here. The ultra thin fan blades is interesting. I was noticing how fat the  blades are on my fans and was thinking how much better air flow may be if they were thinner. That fan near the GPU may look small, but it isn't. The CPU fan is massive. As for why they put the bigger fan CPU side instead of GPU side I have no idea. With the GPU pipe being last in line of the 3 in its radiator though that fan isn't going to cool the GPU very much. This cooling for be good for a 980m, but for a 980 I am skeptical.

A unified heatsink is a concern. Those things need to be manufactured very precisely for them to function well. GPU temps for a 980 already concern me since I don't see the CPU side fan helping out much. If they don't get good die contact the CPU temps will be poor, but if they do they should be good. The CPU heatpipes appear to be 5mm which is a little small and will add a few extra degrees to the CPU temps over something bigger, but they should be adequate.

Also everything being BGA is weird. I suppose for the 980 it doesn't mean much because the mxm versions are larger than standard and don't fit into most systems anyway. This is my main issue with the 980. I fear the introduction of its non-standard format it will break down the mxm standard and we'll lose GPU upgradability in future GPUs.

6 hours ago, Khenglish said:

@str8_an94baller

That's an interesting cooling solution. A vapor plate is really nice and I wish we saw them more on laptops and desktops. If they could drop heatpipes and have the vapor plate go into the radiator that'd be great, but unfortunately we don't have that here. The ultra thin fan blades is interesting. I was noticing how fat the  blades are on my fans and was thinking how much better air flow may be if they were thinner. That fan near the GPU may look small, but it isn't. The CPU fan is massive. As for why they put the bigger fan CPU side instead of GPU side I have no idea. With the GPU pipe being last in line of the 3 in its radiator though that fan isn't going to cool the GPU very much. This cooling for be good for a 980m, but for a 980 I am skeptical.

A unified heatsink is a concern. Those things need to be manufactured very precisely for them to function well. GPU temps for a 980 already concern me since I don't see the CPU side fan helping out much. If they don't get good die contact the CPU temps will be poor, but if they do they should be good. The CPU heatpipes appear to be 5mm which is a little small and will add a few extra degrees to the CPU temps over something bigger, but they should be adequate.

Also everything being BGA is weird. I suppose for the 980 it doesn't mean much because the mxm versions are larger than standard and don't fit into most systems anyway. This is my main issue with the 980. I fear the introduction of its non-standard format it will break down the mxm standard and we'll lose GPU upgradability in future GPUs.

Is there any problem with using a unified heatsink? The P7xxxM series use it without trouble though.

3 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

Is there any problem with using a unified heatsink? The P7xxxM series use it without trouble though.

No it doesn't. The cpu runs way hotter than it should. Any review I see has that thing up in the 90s when doing anything mildly cpu intensive.

6 hours ago, str8_an94baller said:

rip

also, how you get 980m 4GB? and no vram chip on backside?

Its a pull from an MSI laptop, so its a rare card. Not sure why it was pulled, but I'm not complaining. The card was cheaper and is faster than the clevos.

3 minutes ago, Khenglish said:

Its a pull from an MSI laptop, so its a rare card. Not sure why it was pulled, but I'm not complaining. The card was cheaper and is faster than the clevos.

still though, msi mxm 4gb? never heard of mxm cards that only use 4gb

22 hours ago, Khenglish said:

No it doesn't. The cpu runs way hotter than it should. Any review I see has that thing up in the 90s when doing anything mildly cpu intensive.

Agree 100%. Unified heat sink is the only thing I dislike about my P750ZM. CPU thermal management is poor. I flattened out the CPU heat plate on mine (it was warped) and that improved temps by increasing contact, but the overclocked CPU temps are still too high running on stock fan cooling. The heat plate is too thin and I was able to bend it with my bare hands. Using a unified heat sink design probably helps with having a smaller factor, which in and of itself problematic. Awesomeness diminishes along with form factor and anyone that thinks otherwise is living in a dream world. Having limited space to work with limits anyone's abilities no matter how brilliant they may be as an engineer. No matter how hard they try, 10 pounds of sand will never fit into a 5 pound bag. Bigger is always better. In order to be effective, a unified heat sink design would have to be a very high precision "aerospace engineering" kind of undertaking and I don't see any of the OEMs burning that many calories and dollars on doing that.

8 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

Agree 100%. Unified heat sink is the only thing I dislike about my P750ZM. CPU thermal management is poor. I flattened out the CPU heat plate on mine (it was warped) and that improved temps by increasing contact, but the overclocked CPU temps are still too high running on stock fan cooling. The heat plate is too thin and I was able to bend it with my bare hands. Using a unified heat sink design probably helps with having a smaller factor, which in and of itself problematic. Awesomeness diminishes along with form factor and anyone that thinks otherwise is living in a dream world. Having limited space to work with limits anyone's abilities no matter how brilliant they may be as an engineer. No matter how hard they try, 10 pounds of sand will never fit into a 5 pound bag. Bigger is always better. In order to be effective, a unified heat sink design would have to be a very high precision "aerospace engineering" kind of undertaking and I don't see any of the OEMs burning that many calories and dollars on doing that.

that's a shame to hear

even with delid and clu apply?

9 minutes ago, str8_an94baller said:

that's a shame to hear

even with delid and clu apply?

Yes, it is a shame. If I tone down the CPU OC to 4.3GHz the thermals are good enough for normal use and gameplay since I flattened out the heat plate. The delid helped a little bit, but the problem is primarily poor fit and lack of solid contact between the IHS and heat sink plate. The GPU cooling is outstanding. Nothing anywhere works better than CLU with proper contact. Unfortunately, CLU cannot be used to fill air gaps. It only does a phenomenal job with proper contact.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Fox said:

Yes, it is a shame. If I tone down the CPU OC to 4.3GHz the thermals are good enough for normal use and gameplay since I flattened out the heat plate. The delid helped a little bit, but the problem is primarily poor fit and lack of solid contact between the IHS and heat sink plate. The GPU cooling is outstanding. Nothing anywhere works better than CLU with proper contact. Unfortunately, CLU cannot be used to fill air gaps. It only does a phenomenal job with proper contact.

so you use normal paste on cpu, and clu on gpu?

The other way around. CLU on the die, on top of IHS as well. Apply it to both mating surfaces.

I have regular thermal paste on the video card.

Edit: this was only after I flattened out the heat plate. Before that I had to use IC Diamond because of the sloppy fit. I just received some Coollaboratory Metal Pad and I am going to try stacking a couple of them and see if it works better.

Edited by Guest

• Guest pinned this topic
  • Brian unpinned this topic