• 1 month later...
On 26/7/2015 at 3:56 PM, pixma21 said:

goodday sir.. according to my friend .. without 8970m graphics card will sure boot to bios.. according to him "the m18x r1 mobo doesnt support 8970, it is hard coded to mobo..." .. which he said the reason while i cant boot to bios.. he said, the only solution we got is to reflash the 8970m to 7970m which kinda a big trouble cant the 8970m wont let to be reflash back to 7970m ..( a huge pain.) we will try another alternative and let him do it.. great.>^_^ gtx 970m sli and 3940xm @ 4.5ghz would be so a great partner and deliver about 50% more than gtx 980m . ..^_^.. but will 330watts will work nicely with gtx 970m sli (150watts) and i7 3940xm oc to 4.5hz..?

I sit on my alienware m18x r1 now with my 8970m working flawlessly!

I took it from my clevo laptop.

Benchmark on alienware m18x r1 with amd 8970m from clevo p170em and prema vbios mod.

The benchmark is Unigine Valley on 1080p and Ultra settings

IMAG1858.jpg

Edited by Henrik9979

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear forum-members,

I have a problem and I desperately need your help.

After making some changes in unlocked BIOS my computer (M18X R1) refused to boot. Now i have black screen from the start. "Alienware" sign glows, fans turns on and nothing else happens. The main question is - How can I reset BIOS if "blind flash" didn't work (tried multiple times - fans start run at full speed, but no beeps after that). Removing CPU won't work either.

P.S. Please, forgive me for my bad, in terms of English grammar, post.

13 minutes ago, Alkuin said:

Dear forum-members,

I have a problem and I desperately need your help.

After making some changes in unlocked BIOS my computer (M18X R1) refused to boot. Now i have black screen from the start. "Alienware" sign glows, fans turns on and nothing else happens. The main question is - How can I reset BIOS if "blind flash" didn't work (tried multiple times - fans start run at full speed, but no beeps after that). Removing CPU won't work either.

P.S. Please, forgive me for my bad, in terms of English grammar, post.

Have you tried clear CMOS? Disconnect the power cable, remove the battery AND the small bios battery. (it is flat and round and connected with a cable to the motherboard)

Press the power button for 30 seconds to drain remain power from the motherboard.

Leave the big battery out and put the bios battery in and connect the power cable.

Turn on the computer, it will give you 5 beeps. Disconnect the power cable again, forcing the computer to shut down.

Press and hold the FN key on your keyboard while connecting the power cable.

The computer should start up for 5 sec and then reboot to Windows.

Hope it works

19 hours ago, Henrik9979 said:

Have you tried clear CMOS? Disconnect the power cable, remove the battery AND the small bios battery. (it is flat and round and connected with a cable to the motherboard)

Press the power button for 30 seconds to drain remain power from the motherboard.

Leave the big battery out and put the bios battery in and connect the power cable.

Turn on the computer, it will give you 5 beeps. Disconnect the power cable again, forcing the computer to shut down.

Press and hold the FN key on your keyboard while connecting the power cable.

The computer should start up for 5 sec and then reboot to Windows.

Hope it works

There are no "5 beeps" after turning on. Also, no reaction on FN key and power cable. If i put out RAM, there gonna be 5 beeps. But when i reconnect everything and push power button - only black sreen and continious "puff", not beeps, from loudspeakers.

Edited by Alkuin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 12/5/2011 at 11:41 PM, svl7 said:

I learned some new stuff... here's BIOS A05 unlocked ...but I haven't got a system to test it... anyone willing to do so?

It's the first time I've done this, but I think it will work ;) In the worst case there's still the well-known recovery method.

If anyone is going to test it, let me know and report back!

EDIT: Tested and confirmed to work, so go ahead and flash :D Thanks @mw86 for testing!!

M18x - A05 unlocked.zip

@svl7 ,

I was wondering if the specs for the BIOS were available. I am new to the BIOS modding community and don't want to make any mistakes with hardware upgrades and such. The two things right off the top that I was wondering about was: what, if any, changes are there to the speed capabilities of the RAM? I believe the current cap on my rig is 1600, but if 1866 is available with this mod then HELLS YEAH! 

Sorry got excited. Secondly, I was wondering if this BIOS will allow for me to swap from the AMD 6990M CrossfireX to GTX 860M SLI? If so, do you know of someone who has done it that I could speak with to make sure I do everything right?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. As a noob to this I just don't want to brick my rig.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2016 at 2:36 AM, cody.castor said:

Why would you want the gtx 860M? You would be much happier upgrading to gtx 780m sli. :) Not many have a gtx 860m sli setup on their alienware, maybe because it has allot of compatibility issues.

Anyway, upgrading to any nvidia card is a bit expensive. You need to buy two new nvidia 100w heatsinks and a SLI cable.

If you want a cheaper solution you should upgrade to AMD 8970m crossfire. The crossfire cable and the AMD heatsinks from your 6990M will fit nicely. :)
I have a alienware m18x r1 with a AMD 8970m (no crossfire though) running on the stock bios and have been overclocked it to perform like a gtx 780m.

Any further questions let me know. If I don't answer so fast, then send me message more. Sometimes I don't see if I got a notification. :)

@svl7 ,

I was wondering if the specs for the BIOS were available. I am new to the BIOS modding community and don't want to make any mistakes with hardware upgrades and such. The two things right off the top that I was wondering about was: what, if any, changes are there to the speed capabilities of the RAM? I believe the current cap on my rig is 1600, but if 1866 is available with this mod then HELLS YEAH! 

Sorry got excited. Secondly, I was wondering if this BIOS will allow for me to swap from the AMD 6990M CrossfireX to GTX 860M SLI? If so, do you know of someone who has done it that I could speak with to make sure I do everything right?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. As a noob to this I just don't want to brick my rig.

• 5 weeks later...

Ludo,

I am not sure why your having this issue with your SSD. I just installed the Samsung 850 Evo with no issues. I am pretty sure that they run on the same controller, and as far as the interface that should not be a problem as they are all backwards compatible. I will do some looking on your drive and see if anything pops out that could cause the issue. If you have already resolved it please let me know the resolution. Thanks!

Respectfully,

Cody Castor

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried to dl the unlocked A05 from the first post. One gives a 404 error and the other says I do not hae access to that on my accout. I have no problem downloading other stuff and have made enough posts. Can someone reupload or email it to me?

Thanks

[email protected]

Edited by Amenges911

6 hours ago, Amenges911 said:

and have made enough posts.

It's not enough to make 5 "thanks" posts or something like that.

You have to make a minimum of 5 QUALITY Posts. Then you get promoted and will be able to download.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/announcement/4-user-account-promotion-rules-read-before-posting/

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 8:38 AM, Masterchief88 said:

Hi,

i'm new at the forums. I need a unlocked BIOS for ny M18x R1 to use an EXP Graphic Adapter. But i cant download the latest A05 unlocked BIOS. So where can i get the BIOS?

I am a bit curious about you project. If you can make a thread with some photos, your budget and where you bought it. Then I can find the bios for you.