Desktop GTX 980 in Gaming Laptop

TheDeathEffect

Imho that is a total overkill! You will need big PSUs and plenty of cooling to tame that beast!

eGPUs can combine a "thin" Laptop with an external GPU, that you can easily switch and upgrade.

That desktop GTX980 in a Laptop is in the new watercooled Laptop from ASUS.

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe manufacturers aren't putting the GPU in a dock and using mobile ones on the laptop itself. Upgrade-able, still have a desktop gpu and it keeps the portability of a laptop . Asus is on the right track with the watercooling dock but I would be worried about leaks.

While we are at it why don't they just supply an external pcie connector and all would be shiny in a perfect world; technology already exist since years but they make more money with TB and other proprietary connectors...

• 4 weeks later...
Imho that is a total overkill! You will need big PSUs and plenty of cooling to tame that beast!

eGPUs can combine a "thin" Laptop with an external GPU, that you can easily switch and upgrade.

That desktop GTX980 in a Laptop is in the new watercooled Laptop from ASUS.

I don't think it's that overkill! It has a TDP rating of around 130W versus the 980m with 100W. Depending on the laptop and paste job, the 980m has plenty of headroom left. And when repasting my G751JY it was evident that in terms of cooler size, there's also still plenty of headroom left. But well, guess they will never give us more than we need.

I don't think it's that overkill! It has a TDP rating of around 130W versus the 980m with 100W. Depending on the laptop and paste job, the 980m has plenty of headroom left. And when repasting my G751JY it was evident that in terms of cooler size, there's also still plenty of headroom left. But well, guess they will never give us more than we need.

GTX980 has 180W :)

its seems interesting , but for exemple in Clevo P870DM that is uselles, because 980 desktop for laptop have same perfomance like SLI 980m, so that mean in clevo mothership that is not so interesting.

I think that is more resonable when you have laptop 17 or 18 inch with dual desctop 980 and then if compare with sli 980m that will be more powerfull at 20-25%, but if choose between one (actualy in P870 only one 980 or two 980m is possible) 980 and two 980m i chose two 980m because they are a littlebite more boperfull.

But if Alienware became smart again and change his president then they return 18.4 or (mAlx m9800) 19.5 inch laptop at the market with dual desctop 980 that will be great and have good future.

I saw that laptpp and that what I'm talking about. He support two 980m or one 980 because she are so big and take second slot MXM

And in the test in Crysis 3 two 980m or one 980 at the same level : (

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

And what ? What it's give you ? On the way any way you will use normal cooling.

That is useless.

And with time water protected clips on connector will eritated and get some "water bleeding".

And again one 980 is nog enough for full happy.

And what ? What it's give you ? On the way any way you will use normal cooling.

That is useless.

And with time water protected clips on connector will eritated and get some "water bleeding".

And again one 980 is nog enough for full happy.

No thermal throttling, lower temps and so on. Overall better experience imho.

I would do that if my laptop could push enough power to do that. I am having enough problem trying to over volt it just a little bit.

My EGPU is much better at my desk but I need something on the go.... This would be perfect otherwise as my 670mx is getting long in the tooth

I would do that if my laptop could push enough power to do that. I am having enough problem trying to over volt it just a little bit.

My EGPU is much better at my desk but I need something on the go.... This would be perfect otherwise as my 670mx is getting long in the tooth

I think because you have good desctop good option will be light laptop with good gpu, for example msi ghost.

Or if you want to aluminium switch on the mobile platform as I'm then I recommend MSI GT80 (BECAUSE ALIENWARE 18 DON'T WILL PRODUCT ANY MORE) : (

I THINK WE NEED PETITION AND TO RETURN THAT BEAST TO PRODUCTION WITH NEW CASE AND CPU.

I don't know about optimus but sad things in MSI GT80 and Alienware 18 I must all the time switch graphics via reboot

It's very uncomfortable and take a lot of time

I don't know why they don't do that automatically like it was in M17x R3 model.

M17x work all time from integrated gpu and when you start play or open application you can chose dedicated graphics:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.