I have an oil cooled PC I use to get attention at tradeshows

Kensei

I want to make an oil cooled PC with awesome hardware along with a SSD. I want to over clock everything in it. If the funds permit eventually I'll build one for display at events.

I uploaded to an album btw. :D

+1 on making a gallery thats amazing Kensei! How does the system work. Electronics submerged in liquid oil? I don't understand how it survives amazing though. What gave you the idea to make this?

Edited by mw86
added question

Hey Mw86; I first started thinking about making one in distilled water because in physics we were discussing how electricity doesn't arc due to no minerals in the distilled/de-ionized water. Well as I'm sure you have heard: "Nothing is new under the sun" ~ Unkown ANyways, I started looking up stuff on the internet and found out people had used vegetable oil (Oil is non-conductive); then I found out about mineral oil; puget systems, based out of Seattle, WA made the concept pretty famous: Mineral Oil Submerged Computer; Our Most Popular Custom PC I still want to take it a step further, an extreme gaming computer is what I have in mind.

What's funny is, it seems to me thus far that it's better for a computer to be encased in a liquid oil shell. Instead of relying on the north/south bridges or other heat sinks; heat is transferred directly from the circuits; it's a way to cool everything as long as you have your oil being cooled.

Thank you thats a great explanation of how it works. So why don't they make laptops with sealed guts that pump actively cooled oil through! (Liquid cooled R2 would be grand)

Awesome!!

I built one of these almost 10 years ago.

Ran that thing OC'd (dual AMD Athlon MP 2400+) 24/7 for years until I moved out of country.

Used 2 motorcycle heater cores in series and an eheim 1250 (which pumped over 1000L/hour).

I also used industry grade mineral oil (got it from work cheap) as my liquid.

Kept everything housed in a custom made (at home by me) acrylic case so you could see everything.

Was compact and COOL (both temperature wise and wow factor wise).

Only problem with it was changing components could be messy

Damn.... now I miss that thing (lol)

D.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 7/4/2011 at 1:51 AM, mw86 said:

@Kensei did you end up updating your oil cooled rig with ssd and modern chipset?

So I'm a little late on this... sorry.  I haven't, I got kind of busy with life but I still plan to oil cool it up some day. :o

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...