2570p igpu flicker and freeze with high-speed ram

My Kingston HyperX Impact 2133 cl11 16gb kit arrived today. Needless to say, i was overjoyed to try out the difference between 4gb 1066 and 16gb 2133.

The good news is, GTA 5 now runs in dx11 smoothly at 768p, whereas before it had to be 800x600 dx10.

It's also amazingly stable. In gta v at least.

Windows begins flickering a few seconds after login, followed by driver crashes and system freeze soon after. So does ubuntu. Putting gaming load on makes the system instantly stable, alt-tabbing to desktop makes it instantly unstable again.

Tried it with one and two modules, same behavior.

I used bios test and windows test to check ram integrity, it's all good.

Apparently the machine simply hates the speed. I'm using the i7-3740qm cpu, will also use the i5 to check, might be memory controller flaw?

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way i can underclock the ram on 2570p?

EDIT: Tried to boot the ram with my i5-3320m, the system won't even post. So the 3740QM is not strong enough to drive 2133 ram??

EDIT2: Solved with IntelliMod32 driver. If anyone runs into similar issues, give them a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern RAM is designed for Haswell systems (the memory likely says "Designed for 4th gen Core processors" or something similar on it). Haswell systems can usually run memory at higher frequencies than older ivy bridge and sandy bridge systems. It sounds like the memory just barely made the grade for a haswell system and thus is unstable in your system.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by sangemaru viewpost-right.png

e6430 arrived, tried different CPU/GPU combos, same issues, it's definitely the RAM at fault.

Ok, thanks for the useful follow-up... good to know. I just ordered a pair of these (G. Skill 2133mHz 8GBx2 kit):

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 2133 (PC3L 17000) Laptop Memory Model F3-2133C11D-16GRSL - Newegg.com

Will try them out with my 2570p i7-3520M and report back. If anyone has thoughts on the best way to (torture) test a new set of RAM chips, let me know!

A.j.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me know how they work out.

Ok, the G.Skill 2133mHz 8GBx2 RAM kit has arrived and is installed... works great, as far as I can tell. No odd flickers, unusual behavior, etc. I'm not a big gamer, but I was able to run a few games with no problems (Outlast, Hitman: Absolution, Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux at medium settings with 1368 res. and everything ran stable/fine).

I'm no expert at benchmarking memory, but my Windows Experience Index (on Win7 64 bit) reports a Memory subscore of 7.7 and both the Desktop & the Gaming Graphics subscores (with the Intel HD4000 onboard chip) are at 6.5.

I don't recall what these were before. But ... so far so good! Overall, along with the Samsung SSD upgrade I did recently, the laptop feels very snappy. I'm good to go for at least a couple years now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, the G.Skill 2133mHz 8GBx2 RAM kit has arrived and is installed... works great, as far as I can tell. No odd flickers, unusual behavior, etc. I'm not a big gamer, but I was able to run a few games with no problems (Outlast, Hitman: Absolution, Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux at medium settings with 1368 res. and everything ran stable/fine).

I'm no expert at benchmarking memory, but my Windows Experience Index (on Win7 64 bit) reports a Memory subscore of 7.7 and both the Desktop & the Gaming Graphics subscores (with the Intel HD4000 onboard chip) are at 6.5.

I don't recall what these were before. But ... so far so good! Overall, along with the Samsung SSD upgrade I did recently, the laptop feels very snappy. I'm good to go for at least a couple years now!

Good to know, cool.

I RMA'd my ram, received an identical kit with identical behavior. So a completely different kit of Kingston Impact HyperX won't reliably run at 2133 and won't reliably boot at 2133 on the e6430 either.

Using EFI variables I got it to run at 1866 CL10 all stable. Annoying though.

G.Skill seems to be more reliable.