Gaming on windows 10

donachuka

I don't have benchmarks to post from before upgrading, but I have played the same games before and after the upgrade to from 7 to10 and not noticed much difference on my aging MSI GT70-0NE. Definitely no performance hit. And I really like Windows 10 so far. I hated 8 and never upgraded. But I really like the UI overhaul in 10 so far, settings being split between control panel and settings panel is annoying and needs work, but I don't find it hard to quickly access anything. I LOVE the update to the command prompt and powershell (easier cut and paste + transparence). I like the notification panel. So far I don't regularly use to many modern apps, but I at least find them usable, whereas there were a headache on 8.

On paper WIndows 10 should be better, with multi-core support, and the upcoming DirectX 12, but, looking at point 11 (performance) in the following link on NBR: Why I don't like Windows 10 | NotebookReview

it seems that Windows 10 isn't better then Windows 7 nor 8.1 .

Don't know how DirectX 12 will relate, but still, it gives some insight.

(All credits go to Mr. Fox and Matrix Leader on NBR).

Agree with what Madcat said, especially with the issue of frying monitors on Windows 10,

However, there are a lot of articles out there that raves about how DirectX 12 is a game changer, huge performance boosts.

Windows 10 DirectX 12 graphics performance tested: More CPU cores, more oomph

Why DirectX 12 is a game-changer for PC enthusiasts • Eurogamer.net

And if you've seen the demo from Square Enix, you can't help but get excited about it. The graphics fidelity is amazing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGsJXINz0LQ)

I'll probably switch to windows 10 once games support it, and it's proven to have no issues.

On paper WIndows 10 should be better, with multi-core support, and the upcoming DirectX 12, but, looking at point 11 (performance) in the following link on NBR: Why I don't like Windows 10 | NotebookReview

it seems that Windows 10 isn't better then Windows 7 nor 8.1 .

Don't know how DirectX 12 will relate, but still, it gives some insight.

(All credits go to Mr. Fox and Matrix Leader on NBR).

WOW, those benchmarks actually SHOCKED me. I can't believe that Windows 10 seems to perform that poorly compared to 7/8.1. However, I have no doubt that DirectX 12 will be a HUGE help.

When I saw that post, it really enlightened me over the problems and things still bugging Windows 10 (and myself).

But over time, I also will switch over to Windows 10, no doubt about it. But for now, I'll wait till the issues have been resolved.

Alienware screens fry a lot, and I have 2, so not risking it.

The thing is, a very good friend of mine told me that Windows 10 will be the latest Windows they will ever release. From now on, they will only introduce new updates on said Windows 10, so I will need to switch over.

One thing to mention though, whilst Windows 10 resets a lot of settings (mute microphone for example), it also provides better driver support on other fronts (a friend of mine sounded like he had a new microphone, while he only had installed Windows 10 instead of 7).

As far as the LCD EDID corruption goes, I ordered one of these: Free shipping Laptop LCD/LED Screen USB Universal High speed Programmer OTP Writer EPPROM CHIP Programmer LCD 20/30PIN LED 40PIN-in Other Electronic Components from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And, if I am successful in resurrecting my damaged LCD panels, I will write-protect them using a hardware mod as explained by @t456 in this post: *** Windows 10 + NVIDIA WHQL Drivers are Killing Alienware (and now maybe Clevo) LCD Panels *** | Page 135 | NotebookReview to put an end to the Windows 10 LCD-killing fiasco. While Windows 10 appears to be a contributing factor, it appears the underlying problem is GeForce drivers that have been updated to accommodate Windows 10. There have been a couple of M18xR2 owners that initially killed their LCD panels under Windows 10, downgraded to Windows 7 and straightaway killed them again using the latest and greatest GeForce drivers that support Windows 10. There have no reports of this fiasco on systems with AMD GPUs. Whether that is a reflection on NVIDIA being responsible for it or the extremely low market share of AMD MXM powered systems compared to NVIDIA is only a subjective wild guess since it doesn't happen to everyone.

Once fixed and write-protected to avoid further issues, I may consider hacking the crap out of Windows 10 to kill all of the evil telemetry garbage so I can resume performance testing. I've had issues with Windows 10 on my Clevo P570WM as well, and some UEFI BIOS bricking has been observed on a few desktop motherboards, so I'm not sure it is entirely safe to install Windows 10 on any machine. All we can really say about it in confidence is "we don't know what we don't know" and that's really not a very comforting position to be in, even if DX12 eventually becomes relevant for gaming. With Windows 10, Micro$oft has really outdone themselves with self-inflicted damage relating to trust and reputation among many enthusiasts. Trust is swiftly become all but non-existent among the wise at this point.

My experience has been decent on my laptop with a 680m. I have some compatibility issues with older games but the majority run without issues. My desktop however didn't fare as nicely, the windows 10 drivers wouldn't install for my 970 and I ended up with a black screen and having to revert back to windows 8.

I've had little to no problems on my laptop with a 680m aside for some compatibility issues with some older titles (not too big of a deal)

My desktop didn't fare very well however, the windows 10 Nvidia drivers would not install correctly for my 970 and ended up with a black screen, I had to revert back to windows 8 to fix it :/

I have not installed many games on win10 yet, but i do see a bit of a decrease in fps when playing Evolve, and Ark Sruvival.... however its not significant and still playable. I do play League of Legends a lot and that seems to me like it had no impact as I am always hovering sub 200fps.

I did find a 3dmark benchmark that someone posted with highest numbers being obtained with Win10. However looks over clocked, but still impressive considering i get about 2 or 300 poinst less than the user did.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4702HQ,RAZER RAZER

I guess the most annoying part when I installed windows 10 was GameGuard was not compatible yet for windows 10. Other than that I had a very smooth install and the drivers updated as smooth as knife through butter except my graphics. Had to force update my graphics which is understandable

Honestly, Windows 10 really isn't worth it to upgrade on a gaming PC until more the bugs are ironed out, as well as more driver support. After that it could be pretty good, especially with DX12. My Nvidia drivers tend to like to crash every once and while after the upgrade.

the first few weeks of windows 10 i loved it but lately i been getting hard crashes and had to reformat my computer with windows 10. I still get bugs and whos bright idea seriously was it to put safemode after windows boots? Gaming wise ive noticed nothing for performance games even on games like Ark where they boasted about performance gains in windows 10 in nvidia drivers. If anything performance sucks.