X220 16Gb 1866 + eGPU and 100% CPU Load or black screen issue is solved!

Sirios

Hi everybody!

I am happy to announce that the problem in title has been solwed!

After flashing new modified BIOS (whitelist removed, 1866 unlocked and many other things) with advanced menu you can change memory frequency and TOLUD size!

No my system runs perfectly with 16Gb on board and powered by eGPU!

To find out more, contact Oleh (mandriva64(at)gmail.com)!

Hope you will make a donation for his work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15441[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]15442[/ATTACH]

@Sirios, great news on solving this problem. Would you mind posting the solution? Thank you :)

For solution you need to contact Oleh mandriva64(at)gmail.com, cause I only have modified BIOS based on the dump of my computer's BIOS, if you flash it you will half brick you notebook. Oleh has template BIOS-mod, that is suitable for all X220 machines, no SPI programmer needed - just download and flash it.

Be careful with advanced menu!

• 9 months later...

hi Sirios, I have a similar setup as you. A X220 16Gb 1866 and I am trying to use a GT 730 eGPU, but I can get it to work, the computer boots, the LED turns On on the adaptor, but the eGPU is not detected on the system... any tips ? did you have to configure anything on your bios ? thanks

3 hours ago, arqueiro said:

did you have to configure anything on your bios

There exists a custom modded BIOS for the X220 which allows you to configure TOLUD settings: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7fne9hb2e3i9sjm/Lenovo+ThinkPad+x220_1.40-(8DET70WW)-8duj26us_NWL_ADV_AES_PM_Speedo.rar

Flash at your own risk.

On 8/14/2015 at 3:00 PM, Sirios said:

After flashing new modified BIOS (whitelist removed, 1866 unlocked and many other things) with advanced menu you can change memory frequency and TOLUD size!

Did you have to change the TOLUD size? If so, What did you change it to?

On my 8GB X220, I didn't have to. I have the modded BIOS linked above.

EDIT: Apparently, the X220 by default boots with a TOLUD of 3.5GB, but when it boots and detects a second GPU, it lowers the TOLUD to 3.25GB. Source: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Request-to-fix-TOLUD-in-newer-BIOS-files/m-p/677775/highlight/true#M49996

(For newbies, TOLUD must be 3.25GB or lower in order to have eGPU functionality)

Edited by Arbystrider
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2016 at 1:53 AM, Olehkh said:

new v1,42

To my knowledge, after upgrading to BIOS v1.42 it is impossible to rollback to any version earlier than v1.42, since the 1.42 BIOS was meant to fix the SMM "Incursion" attack vulnerability.

Flash at own risk.

Edited by Arbystrider

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.