MSI barebone MS 16F2ID1 is dead? 7970m vga upgrade

mamontmkii

My barebone kit ms 16f2id1 is dead :( After middle of game laptop is off. It's started but no post, just blackscreen and fans starts on max dpm. I think it is my gtx560m is dead and now I want to repair my laptop by installing new vga. I want to buy 7970m but don't know which vbios start on my notebook, because in 2015 there are new vbios at this cards (correct me if not) What about enduro? how I can flash a card with wrong bios if I install a card and blackscreen? I'm need the 015.017 vBIOS or it will run on any vbios? Will this card compatible and should work out of the box?

Video Card For AMD HD 7970M HD7970 HD7970m 216 0836036 2GB DDR5 graphics card for dell Alienware M17X M18X R2 R3 R4 Free Ship-in Graphics Cards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Clevo AMD cards for Enduro systems have a pointless check for an iGPU that disables the card if one is not present. I do not think Dell AMD cards have this check so you should be OK. I am more concerned that your laptop's embedded controller will not be able to read the card's thermal sensor. I believe only Clevo systems have difficulty with Dell AMD cards and not MSI, but you might want to look into this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes the Dell card should work without touching the vBIOS. You'd only have to change it on a Clevo card.

Also just to beware, MSI systems will have weird incompatibility issues with cards. For example I remember seeing a thread where when the 780m came out it would only work in some MSI systems and not others. I don't know if the 7970m will have issues or not.

And what about bios feature legacy or uefi? Because my laptop is brick I can't change any from bios.

Video Card For AMD HD 7970M HD7970 HD7970m 216 0836036 2GB DDR5 graphics card for dell Alienware M17X M18X R2 R3 R4 Free Ship-in Graphics Cards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group how many percent of succesful start of MS16F2ID1? In your opinion)

Only the HD7970M Revision 1.2 and Enduro off Vbios will work there.

I tried it with Revsion 1.1 and Enduro OFF Vbios and it dosn`t work,

And you Need another Heatsink for it.

The GTX 970M is also work in your Barebone and for this Card you can modify your Heatsink.

• Thumbs Up 2

We can modify gtx 560m heatsink (dremel mod) for hd7970m, isn't it? Sellers from aliexpress and ebay don't know which vbios flashed on their cards. If I bought hd7970m with revision 1.2 and unknown bios can I flash vbios myself even I have only blackscreen and no post. My notebook is dead until I play at middle of game. If I bought a new vga for 500usd (970m) and laptop will not start anyway. If I can try boot a laptop with any cheaper vga to know that it work, I can buy 970m. Does 970m work at 16f2 with any bios and out of box?

Yes, laptop starts, but nothing happen. And fan working on maximum. Service center from my city say I must change my vga. If I take card out the same.

OK your laptop's embedded controller cannot read Dell's thermal sensor as I feared. Clevo systems have the same problem (except for maybe the ZM series). There is nothing physically wrong with the card.

I have a dead Dell and Clevo 7970m. I can compare them in the next day or 2. I have a suspicion about what's different on the Dell that makes it unreadable on non-Dell systems.

Just to clarify, you do not get an image on the screen?

Laptop is starting, fans on maximum. There is no image, no postscreen. I read before on some threads that no problem to read termal sensors on dell 7970m on my ms16f2id1. Are you sure that 7970m v1.0 not run on it? If I bought 970m it will be clevo and which vbios? And it works out of box?

• 2 weeks later...

Based on your reviews I decided to buy a gtx 970m but the seller only bios 84.04.2F.00.7A. I'm not sure about the compatibility. Worth buying? Also, the seller offers free send some copper plates for the graphics card, I do not quite understand why they are needed.I am attaching photo.

post-11164-14495000682428_thumb.jpg

post-11164-14495000682691_thumb.jpg

post-11164-14495000682929_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good Sign.

You can use this Nvidia GPU`s:

GTX 460M,GTX 560M,

GTX 570M,GTX580M,GTX670M,GTX675M,another Heatsink

GTX 765M,modified Driver,GTX 770M,another Heatsink.You can modify your Heatsink.

GTX 970M,GTX 980M,another Heatsink.You can modify your Hetasink.

Keplercards like GTX 670MX,GTX 675MX,GTX 680M,GTX 780M,GTX 880M and Quadro Cards on Keplerchips are not working.

• 5 weeks later...