M15x dead and still dying

My m15x froze while playing GTA so now after a hard reset the laptop powers on briefly then powers off, and this cycle repeats until battery and power lead are removed.

I've tested PSU, ram, SSD/HDD and so to be, given the nature of how it broke, this seems like a GPU failure.

What do people think?

Anyone in UK or Europe have a spare old MXM GPU like gtx 260m or gt 240m that I can use to troubleshoot my dying laptop.

Thanks

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
No, its not even getting that far. It turns on then off after about 0.5 seconds. No indication that it failed POST.

Experienced this before on my m15x. The fault is i don't properly lock the CPU. Wish i could help you to loan GPU. Sorry to hear it mate.

- - - Updated - - -

No, its not even getting that far. It turns on then off after about 0.5 seconds. No indication that it failed POST.

Experienced this before on my m15x. The fault is i don't properly lock the CPU. Wish i could help you to loan GPU. Sorry to hear it mate.

My m15x froze while playing GTA so now after a hard reset the laptop powers on briefly then powers off, and this cycle repeats until battery and power lead are removed.

I've tested PSU, ram, SSD/HDD and so to be, given the nature of how it broke, this seems like a GPU failure.

What do people think?

Anyone in UK or Europe have a spare old MXM GPU like gtx 260m or gt 240m that I can use to troubleshoot my dying laptop.

Thanks

I have a 260m but I'm over in the US... I just received the 970m to replace the 7970m that was showing artifacts.

I would check CPU and make sure that it's cooling correctly. This happened to me one time where the fan didn't kick on for some reason. I was scratching my head until I realized that the CPU fan was not coming on at all. I disassembled everything to clean and plugged the cpu fan back in. It's all working good now.

Even though it sounds like a GPU problem, have you tried cleaning the Mobo and checking the battery contacts?

My AW M17x R2 and M15x have had the strangest errors, including a no post (on the M15x), and after cleaning the Mobo's with rubbing acohol and Q-tips, and cleaning the contacts of the battery and the receiving contacts on the Mobo, they both worked as good as new.

It might be worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes! Thanks for asking. I bought a brand new motherboard from China. It arrived in 4 days in perfect condition. Installed it and it works perfectly again. Very happy indeed. Really didn't want to have to buy a new PC.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I recently bought two of these laptops from ebay, both with GT 240M.

One was in decent shape, no hard drive, dead battery, and a 1600 x 900 screen (didn't know about the screen resolution until after).

The other had a hard drive, 1080 screen, dead battery, trouble booting. I have determined that the motherboard is bad. I have a used one on the way from China.

I found that replacing the i7 620M with a 920XM makes a HUGE difference. I was getting 15 fps in CS:GO on the lowest settings at 1600 x 900. Now I get 35+ fps on the highest settings.

I already had a Viking 128GB SSD laying around. Even that relatively crappy SSD makes the machine very snappy.

Thanks for your update! [emoji12] [emoji3] [emoji12]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1