MSI cards in Clevo laptops?

aarpcard

Clevo and MSI cards are usually identical, and are interchangeable in Clevo and MSI systems. You can even cross flash video BIOS.

I am not aware of a Clevo version of a card working in a Clevo where the MSI version of the card did not.

This may have changed with the 900 series, but I don't think it has.

• 1 month later...

I'm also interested in the thing , MSI made some series of 980m with 4Gb of RAM onboard - I've got the opportunity to get one of those with some nice price tag but I've got no idea if it fits my P170SM. If anyone tried that kind of a trick, please speak up:)

Thanks, actually I've heard about a guy who did that - flashing 8gb rom unto 4gb card did not brick the card:) On the other hand, he didn't really say how the card was behaving.

Depends on the vBIOS:

- Best case scenario it will cause a lot of artifacts and finally crash the card once it tries to use address space above 4GB.

- Worst case >>> brick

Depends on the vBIOS:

- Best case scenario it will cause a lot of artifacts and finally crash the card once it tries to use address space above 4GB.

- Worst case >>> brick

Yeah,it didn't sound like a good idea in the first place, but hey if the guy was brave or stupid enough...:)

It turns out the MSI 980m comes from GT72 upgrade kit - I will give it a go.

By the way, don't happen to have a 4gb flavor of your brilliant 980 Vbios;)?

Make a dump of yours and PM me alongside ASIC readings (GPU-Z) and maximum stock 3D voltage under load (NVIDIA Inspctor while running render test).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

. . . So provided you could design a way to power the GTX 980 125w cards found in the GT80S, there's no reason why they shouldn't work in a Clevo laptop from an electrical and vbios perspective.

I remember reading somewhere that all Clevo laptops after the p37X variants (including the p37x variants) employed the true MXM standard - meaning any MXM card that also followed the true MXM standard would work in those laptops and there would be no bios/vbios compatibility issues or bios SLI profile issues.  Is this true?

If so, I might start looking into how to procure two GT80S GTX 980 mxm cards.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10.08.2015 at 10:27 PM, Khenglish said:

Clevo and MSI cards are usually identical, and are interchangeable in Clevo and MSI systems. You can even cross flash video BIOS.

Hi,

I bought nvidia 870M card that originaly cames from MSI. Because I have Clevo I thought about changing MSI vBios to Clevo P150EM. Maybe then this card could be recognized by BIOS. I've checked revisions of vBios https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=Uploads&manufacturer=&model=GTX+870M&interface=&memType=GDDR5&memSize=3072&since=. Strange thing is that Clevo vBios (~166kb) is much bigger than any other for MSI (~94kb).

Are you sure it could be crossed with no harm?

What do you mean it isn't recognized? The BIOS saying the same string means nothing. It will work anyway if you install a driver.

Crossflashing vBIOS typically does nothing beneficial for Clevo systems. That was just an example stating how similar the cards usually were in the Kepler days.

Well, the Windows itself sees it as default graphic card. Device ID is not included in standard nvidia .inf file dedicated to Clevo. I thought that maybe changing vBios to Clevo version could change the Device ID and resolve my problem with incorrect drivers.

Are the Maxwell cards for Clevo and MSI also similar?

Edited by MrTahl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed a GTX 970M (3GB version) MXM card that was pulled from an MSI into my Clevo 151EM (w/ Prema Mod BIOS) with no issues.

Details on this page:

Procedure:

- after physically swapping the MXM modules (with proper heatsinks and brackets) and using new 180w power adapter

- uninstalled any current Nvidia drivers in the system

- modified the inf of the official Nvidia.com drivers

- installed the driver (I'm using Win7 Pro x64)

- restart, it works now for games and benchmarks. (And Optimus graphics switching works fine if you use the official Nvidia drivers)

Temps:

- Idle ~42 C

- Load ~81 C (with FurMark - Burn-In mode)

Done. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and help

I have a Clevo x7200. I started with a GTX 580m and had to downgrade to a 560m do to failer. I recently purchased a MSI GTX 680m and have seen that it is possible to get it to work. Reading through the forums have helped but I am second guessing what to do.

Edited by th12052

On 7/7/2017 at 0:46 AM, th12052 said:

Hello and help

I have a Clevo x7200. I started with a GTX 580m and had to downgrade to a 560m do to failer. I recently purchased a MSI GTX 680m and have seen that it is possible to get it to work. Reading through the forums have helped but I am second guessing what to do.

Pretty sure all it needs is a modded inf in order to work. I was able to get a MSI GTX 680M to work in my Sager NP8150 with modded inf.

Edited by Multicoring
  • Thumbs Up 1